Must Calibration Labs have IEC 17025 before doing Calibration Jobs for Customers

L

lawphng

i am a newly setup calibration lab quality manager,we are in the progress to apply IEC17025 so to become a accredation lab, but the question is before we obtain the IEC17025 accredation,is it all the jobs we did for customer is not compliance to ISO9002 standard or TS standard which may need the lab is IEC17025 acredated.(Our master equipment is all calibrated by accredated lab,meaning treaceable requirement is fullful.)
If this is so ,how can a lab servive before granted for accredation,since we are not able to perform calibration jobs so to gain experience and record for the AB to audit our capability?
Pleaes advise and comment,we are deeply appreaciate is someone can asnwer the question.thanks a lot.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

amanbhai

Re: Is calibration lab must have IEC17025 before doing calibration jobs to customer

Calibration labs have been performing calibration before ISO 17025.
Now the senario has been changed as more and more customers of calibration services requires accreditation of calibration labs (for specific scope).
Accreditation of calibration lab means your lab would be assessed thoroughly as per the requirements of ISO/ IEC 17025, your own documentation, sector specific guidelines (your accreditation body would help you on that) and so on before you are recommended for accreditation.
I, being the member of labs feel that this would improve the overall performance of the calibration lab performance.

However, there is no mandatory requirements that I know as such for calibration lab.

harry

Super Moderator
Re: Is calibration lab must have IEC17025 before doing calibration jobs to customer

i am a newly setup calibration lab quality manager, ..............
Welcome to the Cove.

I can see that you are new because as a long time user of lab services in Malaysia, I know there are many labs (if not the majority) that are not accredited to ISO 17025. Even for those that are, they usually have a very narrow scope.

You can carry on your business serving clients that doesn't have an 'ISO 17025 requirement' till you are accredited.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Must calibration labs have IEC17025 before doing calibration jobs for customers

i am a newly setup calibration lab quality manager,we are in the progress to apply IEC17025 so to become a accredation lab, but the question is before we obtain the IEC17025 accredation,is it all the jobs we did for customer is not compliance to ISO9002 standard or TS standard which may need the lab is IEC17025 acredated.(Our master equipment is all calibrated by accredated lab,meaning treaceable requirement is fullful.)
If this is so ,how can a lab servive before granted for accredation,since we are not able to perform calibration jobs so to gain experience and record for the AB to audit our capability?
Pleaes advise and comment,we are deeply appreaciate is someone can asnwer the question.thanks a lot.
Hi and welcome to the Cove!
From your post , I did not undestand if you are a manager of Internal Calibration lab. If so, the lab does nto need to get accreditation to ISO 17025. This is a plus but not mandatory , according to ISO TS 7.6.3.1 . It is enough to respon to the clause to meet the requirements ( competence, capability of the lab, records etc. etc...) in the scope of a manual or procedure.
Viceversa, if you are an external lab ( indpendent firm) that provides calibration service as yoour primary business, you shall have it to meet rquirement of your Customer ( always as per ISO TS technical specification).
To have only ISO 9001 certification is not enough. It could ok if your customer get a waiver from their customer to use not accreditated ISO 17025 external labs.
Hope this helps:bigwave:

L

lawphng

thanks to all of you for giving the answer of my question,as we are not IEC17025 accredated, can i tell my customer that the calibration jobs we provided is treaceable to acreadated lab or National Lab,since our master is calibrated by acreadated lab,and is treaceable accept by the ISO9002 or TS company ,will the auditor giving the company a "NC" for using our lab service,thanks again for the answer.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Just to clarify, the TS requirement (7.6.3.2 External Lab) requires that an external lab used for inspection, test or calibration services shall have a defined laboratory scope which includes the capability to perform the required inspection, test or calibration service

AND

Shall be accredited to ISO/IEC 17025 (or national equivalent)
OR
there shall be evidence that the external laboratory is acceptable to the customer.

This puts the onus on YOUR customer to ensure that using your facility will meet their customer requirements. You can continue to provide services to anyone who asks for them, as long as you are completely clear that you are not (yet) an accredited lab. However, if you have already undergone the initial audits, and no nonconformances were found, you may be able to state that you are ISO/IEC 17025 compliant, and are currently seeking accreditation.

Hope this is of some help to you.

P

pcsmith

I know several labs that use a 'Customer Requirement Sheet' that they complete jointly with the customer.
Possibly, you could utilize a form such as this and have one of the questions state "Do you require 17025 accredited calibration?'.
As long as they answer "No", it would be evidence that someone from company reviewed and considered your scope before approving...

B

Bong J. Capili

Companies that are TS-16949 certified requires that their calibration service provider is an ISO-17025 accredited laboratory.

However, if the company is certified to ISO 9001, it only requires that the calibration service provider is compliant to ISO 17025 standard.

For sure the ISO 9001 certified companies (your customers) would have a procedure on how to accredit their supplier which includes the calibration service provider (your laboratory). You can invite your customers to audit your laboratory to give them evidence that your lab is compliant with ISO 17025.

If the customer is satisfied with their audit result, then this would be documented which includes your laboratory on their accredited supplier.

However, if the company is certified to ISO 9001, it only requires that the calibration service provider is compliant to ISO 17025 standard.
Where do you read this, in ISO 9001?:mg:

Also, many ISO 9001 registered companies have no clue how to "how to accredit their supplier which includes the calibration service provider (your laboratory)".

Indeed, to do this: "You can invite your customers to audit your laboratory to give them evidence that your lab is compliant with ISO 17025." is very risky, IMHO and experience, since many people don't have the first clue about how to evaluate a cal. lab for the technical portion of ISO/IEC 17025...

B

Bong J. Capili

Supplementary to ISO 9001 standard, if a company needs to further improve their system of measurement, they can use the ISO 10012 titled "Measurement management systems- Requirements for measurement processes and measuring equipment."

On the standard's Clause 6.4 Outside Supplier, under "Guidance", the standard states that,

If an outside supplier is used for testing or calibration, the supplier should be able to demonstrate technical competence to a laboratory standard such as ISO/IEC 17025. Products and services provided by outside suppliers might require verification to the specified requirements.

Since lawphng's lab is not yet accredited, the only way he can show their customer their compliance to ISO 17025 is through the customer's audit.

I'm just giving some inputs to lawphng for them to have a customer while working towards the accreditation process.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G From an ISO 17025 auditor perspective must micrometer calibration check anvil flatness? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Calibration system must meet ISO 10012, ISO 17025 or ANSI/NCSL Z540? ISO 17025 related Discussions 38
N Must you Sign on every Page of A Calibration Report General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
J Calibration Service Suppliers must be certified to ISO 9001? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
Wayne Must the gage maker be qualified as a calibration supplier? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R Glassware calibration - Must all A-class glassware be checked before use? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
K Must I have documentation of calibration upon receiving equipment? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
P Thread plug gauge failed calibration - Must I remeasure everything measured with it? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 23
Jerry Eldred 4.10.6.5 Interpretation - Must Calibration Procedures be Published Internationally? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A What must be recorded? (ISO 9001:2015, subclause 10.2) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
John C. Abnet Must COPQ always be quantified as a monetary ($) amount? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T What does AS9100 mean when it says you must establish a process to do X? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
B IATF16949 audit requirement - Auditor request UCL and LCL must be show Xbar-R, IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
A Read instruction manual - What Graphic Symbol must I use? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
M What kind of instrument that must be calibrated? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Q Must product name be listed the same name in FURLS, UDI, GUDID and Company Website? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J Customer VDA Audit - We must provide refresher training? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
J Any diverging opinions regarding audit findings or conclusions must be resolved no later than the closing meeting ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
I Sampling processes - Who must define the AQL level? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 9
M Which documents must be updated upon product validation? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q IATF 16949 - Product audit - Must each product be audited? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
C Must your reference standard provider be ISO17034 certified to meet your testing lab's ISO 17025 certification requirements? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
R Changing Document Control software. Must I transfer EVERYTHING? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Must all Disposable Medical Devices be DEHP Free for MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
W Product Audit - It must be a separate and distinct activity (IATF 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
P Quality objectives - must they include CAPA and internal audit topic? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 28
S Record Retention - How long must a company keep the following records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
I Is risk acceptability really needed if all risks must be reduced as far as possible? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
A ISO 9001:2015 Clause 9.3.2 - Management Review Inputs must be Documented? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 15
N Must Bioburden Sampling Procedures be Documented? Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
M Contacting a "Must Use" (aka Sole Source) Supplier's Registrar Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
T Auditor states my Oven Thermocouples must be Calibrated General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 18
K Must I update the Quality Policy? (ISO 9001:2008) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
B Must a Design Outsourcing Company have ISO13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
U Must every procedure be proceeded by a policy? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
P Must all parts of a product be RoHS compliant? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
N Must electrodes for Rx/prescription stimulators be Rx only? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
V Is there an approach to define the "must 'or' should" in supplier audits? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
F Electronic Signatures (21CFR Part 11) - Must They Appear on Printed Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
R What are the "Must Have" Specs and Standards for AS9100 Certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
L Must we do Receiving Inspection for everything? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
U Once upon a QMS - Is a Statement of Uncertainty a must for ISO 17025 accredited labs? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
C Must we identify steps taken to identify the Root Cause of a failure Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
Y Must every Process have a Quality Objective? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
L Must the Signature on a Quality Record be Legible? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 33
N Must Employees Be Evaluated Annually? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 19
D How long must we provide service parts to Ford? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
E Must Patent Numbers be Shown on Product Labels? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 18
Ronen E FDA Must Have New Authorities to Regulate Pharmacy Compounding US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
P Trip to the USA - Must-Eat Food? Holiday Planning Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 57