Must Employee Handbooks be Controlled?

M

murban

Employee Handbook

Has anyone ever heard of putting the Employee Handbook under documentation control?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
E

energy

Not a bad idea

Basically, that's a HR function and has nothing to do with the QMS. However, it's not a bad idea to control it outside the area of QMS Document Control because of Company Rules changing and the employee having an old copy would not know the difference. I don't believe any Auditor would ever get into that area. But there may be others who see it different. If you choose to list it with all your other documents, it will become auditable as to employees having access to, or the latest copy. I figured that I'd get it started.:bigwave: :ko: :smokin:

Randy

Super Moderator
If the handbook has the policy and other system related stuff in it, it should be controlled, and wet on HR if they don't like it.:eek:

The EMS systems I've done have had the employee handbook as a controlled document....it provide some evidence towards training and other things.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
A sticky wicket as the Brits say. I’d say do not put the HR manual under QMS control. Why make life more difficult than it is already keeping up the requirements of ISO? If HR is serious about keeping the manuals up-to-date and so on let them control it with an iron fist if they want to – that’s great – but do it outside of the QMS. MHO is don’t make the QMS more complex and difficult to keep up on than necessary. Training requirements, etc. that do fall under the QMS can and should be under the QMS control. But who wants to get dinged on an ISO audit if the employees are going on break at 10:15 to 10:30 instead of the 10:00 to 10:15 that the HR manual states or some silly thing like that? In the ideal world, maybe it would be nice, but in the real world that I’ve seen it would cause many more problems than benefits. We keep ‘em separate and will continue to do so unless/until someone can prove to me it is worth putting them together.

Randy

Super Moderator
Mike must be smokin' his tea instead of drinkng it.

Don't get wrapped around an axle with an issue like this. If you have no information in the handbook pertaining to the QMS leave it uncontrolled. If you have information related to the QMS, control it and specify those elements of the handbook that are effected. Or not. Who really gives a Rats A - -. It's your system, you decide. If some dippy auditor wants to blow a gasket over your employee handbook tell him/her to go outside.

Please don't mis-understand me. This is an important issue to you, but as in many things others may tend to lose focus on real issues.

Bottom line...Is there anything in your employee handbook that can have an effect upon the quality of your system or directly relates to your QMS? If there is, then have whoever the responsible party is, manage the handbook and keep applicable information current. IMHO anyway

Last edited:

JodiB

Still plugging along
We don't give each employee a copy of the manual. There is an office hardcopy provided as part of new hire induction and they sit somewhere, read through it, sign something that says they've read it and have had an opportunity to ask questions. Beyond that, it is available on our network. Since we have operations in three countries, our employment policies vary and we have one for each region. Control is simply to provide the current hardcopy and to replace the one on the network with whatever is current. Not hard to do.

Do I list it as a QMS document? Well no. I could I suppose. It is reviewed, approved, distributed, etc. just like any other important document used in our business.

E Wall

Just Me!
Super Moderator
Nope

The only way our employee handbook is controlled is that it is put out by the HR Manager (after corporate review). Our handbook covers information that isn't relevant to the QMS so we do not make reference to it at all.

J

James Gutherson

We have a system for controlling documents, whether they are QMS based, OH&S, EMS, financial, whatever, and the employee handbook,which needs to be kept upto date, versions, changes and distribution noted, is part of that.
One system of control, not a bunch of disparate systems all trying to do the same thing. This is just good sence, isn't it?:confused:

E Wall

Just Me!
Super Moderator
James Gutherson said: We have a system for controlling documents, whether they are QMS based, OH&S, EMS, financial, whatever, and the employee handbook,which needs to be kept upto date, versions, changes and distribution noted, is part of that.
One system of control, not a bunch of disparate systems all trying to do the same thing. This is just good sence, isn't it?:confused:
I think the differences from the many posts are some provide control within the QMS and others don't. Speaking for the company I work for - yes the handbook is controlled, kept up to date...yada, yada, yada...but governed by the VP of HR not mentioned/directed/goverened by the QMS.

IMHO - In an idealistic setting one rule applies to all - less confusion and this also maintains consistancy (both of expectations and follow-thru); However, as in many companies there are power struggle issues - and this approach cannot work unless led by TOP Mgmt.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
James Gutherson said:

We have a system for controlling documents, whether they are QMS based, OH&S, EMS, financial, whatever, and the employee handbook,which needs to be kept upto date, versions, changes and distribution noted, is part of that.
James,

One system for controlling all is fine if it works for you. Wonderful even. But that doesn't mean you have to make the "OH&S, EMS, financial, whatever, and the employee handbook" all part of the QMS and eligible for audit by the registrar or customer auditor, does it? Is your system that way? For example, if the finance guy forgets to audit/reconcile the petty cash drawer every month like it says in the finance policy manual, do you want a QMS ding?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Read instruction manual - What Graphic Symbol must I use? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
M What kind of instrument that must be calibrated? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Q Must product name be listed the same name in FURLS, UDI, GUDID and Company Website? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J Customer VDA Audit - We must provide refresher training? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
J Any diverging opinions regarding audit findings or conclusions must be resolved no later than the closing meeting ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
I Sampling processes - Who must define the AQL level? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 9
M Which documents must be updated upon product validation? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q IATF 16949 - Product audit - Must each product be audited? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
G From an ISO 17025 auditor perspective must micrometer calibration check anvil flatness? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
C Must your reference standard provider be ISO17034 certified to meet your testing lab's ISO 17025 certification requirements? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
R Changing Document Control software. Must I transfer EVERYTHING? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Must all Disposable Medical Devices be DEHP Free for MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
W Product Audit - It must be a separate and distinct activity (IATF 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
P Quality objectives - must they include CAPA and internal audit topic? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 28
S. Moore Record Retention - How long must a company keep the following records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
I Is risk acceptability really needed if all risks must be reduced as far as possible? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
A ISO 9001:2015 Clause 9.3.2 - Management Review Inputs must be Documented? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 15
N Must Bioburden Sampling Procedures be Documented? Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
M Contacting a "Must Use" (aka Sole Source) Supplier's Registrar Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
T Auditor states my Oven Thermocouples must be Calibrated General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 18
K Must I update the Quality Policy? (ISO 9001:2008) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
B Must a Design Outsourcing Company have ISO13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
U Must every procedure be proceeded by a policy? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
P Must all parts of a product be RoHS compliant? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
N Must electrodes for Rx/prescription stimulators be Rx only? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
V Is there an approach to define the "must 'or' should" in supplier audits? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
F Electronic Signatures (21CFR Part 11) - Must They Appear on Printed Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
R What are the "Must Have" Specs and Standards for AS9100 Certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
L Must we do Receiving Inspection for everything? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
U Once upon a QMS - Is a Statement of Uncertainty a must for ISO 17025 accredited labs? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
C Must we identify steps taken to identify the Root Cause of a failure Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
Y Must every Process have a Quality Objective? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
L Must the Signature on a Quality Record be Legible? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 33
N Must Employees Be Evaluated Annually? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 19
AshleyE Calibration system must meet ISO 10012, ISO 17025 or ANSI/NCSL Z540? ISO 17025 related Discussions 38
D How long must we provide service parts to Ford? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
E Must Patent Numbers be Shown on Product Labels? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 18
Ronen E FDA Must Have New Authorities to Regulate Pharmacy Compounding US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
P Trip to the USA - Must-Eat Food? Holiday Planning Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 57
Colin What QMS Internal Audits must cover and ISO 9001 Internal Auditing 19
R Is insulation between F type applied part and other parts a must? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
D Must Forms be referenced in applicable Procedures? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
U Must We Audit Critical Suppliers? How often? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
S Integrating a Multi-Management System - What documents & records must we have? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
R Risks which must be Distinctly Identified - Harm, Hazard, Severity ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
O ISO 9001 requirements for what Internal Audits must cover Internal Auditing 7
Q Who must write Quality Manual as per ISO 9001 Clause 5.5.2? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
C Is an Initial Environmental Review a must while implementing ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
R Who must sign 510(k) Submission? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
JodiB Interlaboratory Testing - Must they all be accredited? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2