Must every procedure be proceeded by a policy?

U

unueco

Hi,

I'm wondering if, in a three-tier document structure (QM -> Policy -> Procedure) must *EVERY* procedure have the superstructure of a policy proceeding it?

We are in the process of preparing to pursuit ISO certification. We are currently trying to organize our documentation. In addition to writing an overall Quality Manual, we currently have what might be described as a "random amalgamation" of documents: some general enough to be considered policies; other specific enough to be considered procedures.

On the one hand, its seems an awful waste of time to go around writing a bunch of "empty" policy documents just so they can fit nice and neatly in a structure. On the other hand, it does seem a little "weird" to have such an unbalanced structure.

Advice?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi,

I'm wondering if, in a three-tier document structure (QM -> Policy -> Procedure) must *EVERY* procedure have the superstructure of a policy proceeding it?

We are in the process of preparing to pursuit ISO certification. We are currently trying to organize our documentation. In addition to writing an overall Quality Manual, we currently have what might be described as a "random amalgamation" of documents: some general enough to be considered policies; other specific enough to be considered procedures.

On the one hand, its seems an awful waste of time to go around writing a bunch of "empty" policy documents just so they can fit nice and neatly in a structure. On the other hand, it does seem a little "weird" to have such an unbalanced structure.

Advice?
unueco,

No. I've never understood this habit either.

Documented procedures are used to plan, operate, control and monitor processes so they are effective.

Study clause 4.1c and you can see that your procedures (documented and undocumented) usefully inform the process teams of the criteria for their process to be effective.

So, include a process objective (aka what is achieved by doing the work in accordance with the procedure). Naturally, you'll make sure these process objectives are aligned with your quality objectives.

Also, avoid lapsing into writing a purpose statement that attempts to justify the document. These statements usually repeat the title of the procedure so they are a waste of space too.

John

U

unueco

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

When I posted this message I must have neglected to click something. I did not get any email notification that there had been a reply. Just checked back now and found yours.

I shall take your advice to heart.

Thank you again.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Must every CCP (Critical Control Point) have a (documented) procedure? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 4
Y Must every Process have a Quality Objective? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
N Must you Sign on every Page of A Calibration Report General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
T What does AS9100 mean when it says you must establish a process to do X? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
B IATF16949 audit requirement - Auditor request UCL and LCL must be show Xbar-R, IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
A Read instruction manual - What Graphic Symbol must I use? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
M What kind of instrument that must be calibrated? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Q Must product name be listed the same name in FURLS, UDI, GUDID and Company Website? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J Customer VDA Audit - We must provide refresher training? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
J Any diverging opinions regarding audit findings or conclusions must be resolved no later than the closing meeting ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
I Sampling processes - Who must define the AQL level? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 9
M Which documents must be updated upon product validation? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q IATF 16949 - Product audit - Must each product be audited? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
G From an ISO 17025 auditor perspective must micrometer calibration check anvil flatness? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
C Must your reference standard provider be ISO17034 certified to meet your testing lab's ISO 17025 certification requirements? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
R Changing Document Control software. Must I transfer EVERYTHING? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Must all Disposable Medical Devices be DEHP Free for MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
W Product Audit - It must be a separate and distinct activity (IATF 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
P Quality objectives - must they include CAPA and internal audit topic? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 28
S. Moore Record Retention - How long must a company keep the following records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
I Is risk acceptability really needed if all risks must be reduced as far as possible? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
A ISO 9001:2015 Clause 9.3.2 - Management Review Inputs must be Documented? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 15
N Must Bioburden Sampling Procedures be Documented? Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
M Contacting a "Must Use" (aka Sole Source) Supplier's Registrar Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
T Auditor states my Oven Thermocouples must be Calibrated General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 18
K Must I update the Quality Policy? (ISO 9001:2008) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
B Must a Design Outsourcing Company have ISO13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
P Must all parts of a product be RoHS compliant? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
N Must electrodes for Rx/prescription stimulators be Rx only? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
V Is there an approach to define the "must 'or' should" in supplier audits? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
F Electronic Signatures (21CFR Part 11) - Must They Appear on Printed Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
R What are the "Must Have" Specs and Standards for AS9100 Certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
L Must we do Receiving Inspection for everything? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
U Once upon a QMS - Is a Statement of Uncertainty a must for ISO 17025 accredited labs? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
C Must we identify steps taken to identify the Root Cause of a failure Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
L Must the Signature on a Quality Record be Legible? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 33
N Must Employees Be Evaluated Annually? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 19
AshleyE Calibration system must meet ISO 10012, ISO 17025 or ANSI/NCSL Z540? ISO 17025 related Discussions 38
D How long must we provide service parts to Ford? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
E Must Patent Numbers be Shown on Product Labels? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 18
Ronen E FDA Must Have New Authorities to Regulate Pharmacy Compounding US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
P Trip to the USA - Must-Eat Food? Holiday Planning Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 57
Colin What QMS Internal Audits must cover and ISO 9001 Internal Auditing 19
R Is insulation between F type applied part and other parts a must? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
D Must Forms be referenced in applicable Procedures? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
U Must We Audit Critical Suppliers? How often? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
S Integrating a Multi-Management System - What documents & records must we have? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
R Risks which must be Distinctly Identified - Harm, Hazard, Severity ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
O ISO 9001 requirements for what Internal Audits must cover Internal Auditing 7
Q Who must write Quality Manual as per ISO 9001 Clause 5.5.2? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23