SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Must show Sub-Supplier details? Supplying a Tier 2 company

P

PaiceyFan

Our company is registered under ISO9001:2008 and we are supplying a Tier 2 company with parts.

The Tier 2 company does not expect us to be TS certified as they are, but has asked that we divulge all details of our own suppliers (sub-suppliers). Our suppliers are extremely important and confidential. They are an integral part of our success compared to our competitors, so we are extremely hesitant to give out information that should it make its way to our competitors would hurt our business.

To get around this issue in the past, we have supplied information without divulging the sub-suppliers' names. We have simply called them supplier A and supplier B, for example.

The Tier 2 company (our customer) has stated that we MUST provide this data as they are TS certified. Is this correct or can we provide data without quoting the name of our sub-suppliers?

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Paiceyfan.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
G

Groo3

Re: Must show sub-Supplier details?

This sounds like a request best answered by your legal team, or your company lawyer, but if it were me, I would not provide specific details regarding who our suppliers are. The process was once described to me as fishing... Think of the customer as fishing for all the information you are willing to provide. If you provide it, they are verry happy, if you don't, it was worth a shot... But the best advice in my opinion is to seek the guidance of your company lawyer(s).

With regards to ISO-16949, the primary requirements for their purchasing of your product are found in the standard requirements 7.4.1, 7.4.2, and 7.4.3... You may want to ask your customer what requirement of the ISO-16949-2009 standard requires that you divulge your supplier's information? In the 2002 version of the 16949 standard, there is a requirement that states (7.4.1) The type and extent of control applied to the supplier (that means you) and the purchased product (what you are supplying to them) shall be dependent upon the effect of the purchased product on subsequent product realization or the final product... (PS: I don't know if the language has changed here slightly with the 2009 version?) This statement is pretty wide open to interpretation (or mis-interpretation) I think...

By way of comparisson, my site supplies product to the automotive, cosmetic and industrial markets. Though our automotive customers do request this information from us on occasion, we will not divulge who our suppliers are. If the request is around statistical data, or sampling of your supplier's products, that is a different ballgame. Supplier A / Supplier B evaluation data may be a reasonable request, but who "A" and "B" are is not a reasonable request (in my opinion). :2cents:

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PaiceyFan

Thanks Groo3. You explained it well. So, it sounds like I am making the right decision in not divluging the sub-suppliers' names, but I agree that it is not unreasonable of the customer to request data associated with our suppliers and hence I use Supplier A or B. However, I will take your advice and consult with legal to see what they think.

The one point I should have mentioned is that we have other TS customers, who respect our wishes and do not request the names of the sub-suppliers.

Thanks Again!

G

Groo3

Thanks Groo3. You explained it well. So, it sounds like I am making the right decision in not divluging the sub-suppliers' names, but I agree that it is not unreasonable of the customer to request data associated with our suppliers and hence I use Supplier A or B. However, I will take your advice and consult with legal to see what they think.

The one point I should have mentioned is that we have other TS customers, who respect our wishes and do not request the names of the sub-suppliers.

Thanks Again!
One of the more fun jobs I have had over the years was actually filling out the questionnaires and information requests from our customers. For about a 3 and a half year period, one of my tasks was to respond to or coordinate the responses to our customers. It was a fun time and I have seen every type of request under the sun. Whenever I was uncertain how to reply, I would interact with our corporate legal group, our site or corporate EHS / Regulatory groups, our Human Resources group, etc. I learned a lot about customer's expectations beyond our C of A's and MSDS's. I also got to learn some things about the products made at our other manufacturing sites as some customers would funnel all of their requests to me regardless of where the products were made or shipped from, funny thing is I even received requests for some of our competitors products :lol:.

I have since handed off that role of coordinator to our corporate EHS / Regulatory group, however I still handle the site specific customer requests with regards to our Quality Management System / Site questionnaires.

C

Citizen Kane

Hi !

We don't show the names of our sub-suppliers durring the audit. Also, when mentioning some figures from them, we display them as Supplier 1 LCD, Supplier 2 Masks, etc. You must not display your internal marketing/financial agreements that you have with your suppliers, nor their names.

What could be instead is, if your top management & law dept. agrees with this, then, by being an executive decission, you could do it. But it makes no sense from the normal TS audit point of view.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi !

We don't show the names of our sub-suppliers durring the audit. Also, when mentioning some figures from them, we display them as Supplier 1 LCD, Supplier 2 Masks, etc. You must not display your internal marketing/financial agreements that you have with your suppliers, nor their names.

What could be instead is, if your top management & law dept. agrees with this, then, by being an executive decission, you could do it. But it makes no sense from the normal TS audit point of view.
What's so "secret" about the names of the organization's suppliers?
Never been an issue when I conduct audits...

Stijloor.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Hi !

A vehicle manufacturer I know of has a requirement for the supply chain to be completely divulged in PPAP submissions. The reason for this is that they had some issues with certain suppliers as tier-ones and dropped them as suppliers only to find out later on that they had wiggled themselves back into a couple of different chains at a lower level.

P

PaiceyFan

Thanks for the ongoing debate on this. We decided (as a company) to refuse to divulge our suppliers and it seems that our customer has accepted this, if not gracefully. Our suppliers are extremel important to us and the confidentiality of those suppliers is essential in our ability to sustain our business. Our competitors would love to get their hands on those details.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B IATF16949 audit requirement - Auditor request UCL and LCL must be show Xbar-R, IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
M Must a company be 17025 accredited to perform internal calibrations? ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
A What must be recorded? (ISO 9001:2015, subclause 10.2) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
John C. Abnet Must COPQ always be quantified as a monetary ($) amount? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T What does AS9100 mean when it says you must establish a process to do X? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
A Read instruction manual - What Graphic Symbol must I use? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
M What kind of instrument that must be calibrated? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Q Must product name be listed the same name in FURLS, UDI, GUDID and Company Website? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J Customer VDA Audit - We must provide refresher training? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
J Any diverging opinions regarding audit findings or conclusions must be resolved no later than the closing meeting ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
I Sampling processes - Who must define the AQL level? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 9
M Which documents must be updated upon product validation? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q IATF 16949 - Product audit - Must each product be audited? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
G From an ISO 17025 auditor perspective must micrometer calibration check anvil flatness? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
C Must your reference standard provider be ISO17034 certified to meet your testing lab's ISO 17025 certification requirements? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
R Changing Document Control software. Must I transfer EVERYTHING? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Must all Disposable Medical Devices be DEHP Free for MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
W Product Audit - It must be a separate and distinct activity (IATF 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
P Quality objectives - must they include CAPA and internal audit topic? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 28
S Record Retention - How long must a company keep the following records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
I Is risk acceptability really needed if all risks must be reduced as far as possible? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
A ISO 9001:2015 Clause 9.3.2 - Management Review Inputs must be Documented? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 15
N Must Bioburden Sampling Procedures be Documented? Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
M Contacting a "Must Use" (aka Sole Source) Supplier's Registrar Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
T Auditor states my Oven Thermocouples must be Calibrated General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 18
K Must I update the Quality Policy? (ISO 9001:2008) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
B Must a Design Outsourcing Company have ISO13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
U Must every procedure be proceeded by a policy? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
P Must all parts of a product be RoHS compliant? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
N Must electrodes for Rx/prescription stimulators be Rx only? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
V Is there an approach to define the "must 'or' should" in supplier audits? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
F Electronic Signatures (21CFR Part 11) - Must They Appear on Printed Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
R What are the "Must Have" Specs and Standards for AS9100 Certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
L Must we do Receiving Inspection for everything? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
U Once upon a QMS - Is a Statement of Uncertainty a must for ISO 17025 accredited labs? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
C Must we identify steps taken to identify the Root Cause of a failure Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
Y Must every Process have a Quality Objective? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
leftoverture Must the Signature on a Quality Record be Legible? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 33
N Must Employees Be Evaluated Annually? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 19
A Calibration system must meet ISO 10012, ISO 17025 or ANSI/NCSL Z540? ISO 17025 related Discussions 38
D How long must we provide service parts to Ford? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
E Must Patent Numbers be Shown on Product Labels? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 18
Ronen E FDA Must Have New Authorities to Regulate Pharmacy Compounding US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
P Trip to the USA - Must-Eat Food? Holiday Planning Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 57
Colin What QMS Internal Audits must cover and ISO 9001 Internal Auditing 19
R Is insulation between F type applied part and other parts a must? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
D Must Forms be referenced in applicable Procedures? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
U Must We Audit Critical Suppliers? How often? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
S Integrating a Multi-Management System - What documents & records must we have? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
R Risks which must be Distinctly Identified - Harm, Hazard, Severity ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7