Interesting Discussion My Class Assignment on Quality Assurance Gurus

A

anna1986

Re: My Class Assignment on Quality Assurance Gurus for Your Review - Help needed

wow, wasnt expecting so many replies so soon! my lecturer told me that question 2 wasn't answered properly at all and that question one only partly answered the question. i am aware that my grammar is terrible! And sometimes i have this habbit of trying to sound intelligent by using big words :D This assignment is a 3rd year engineering assignment. If anybody wants to be cited then i'll be happy to put you in my next assignment!

D

D.Scott

Re: My Class Assignment on Quality Assurance Gurus for Your Review - Help needed

With the grit you have shown here, I am betting your next assignment will be an "A" so I would love to be cited. :agree1:

Welcome to the Cove. We need more members like you.

Dave

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

wow, wasnt expecting so many replies so soon! my lecturer told me that question 2 wasn't answered properly at all and that question one only partly answered the question. i am aware that my grammar is terrible! And sometimes i have this habbit of trying to sound intelligent by using big words :D This assignment is a 3rd year engineering assignment. If anybody wants to be cited then i'll be happy to put you in my next assignment!
I suppose you mean writing something about "performance excellence" in referring to "question two."

As I see the situation, you missed an important factor of Quality (the field of quality versus the status of a product or service): Contract Review!

In your haste to complete the assignment, you neglected to review the requirements of the instructor to determine if you could meet those requirements in terms of capability, capacity, and price (price being the amount of time and effort you were prepared to expend to receive an acceptable grade.)

Writing a paper is similar to creating and implementing ANY process:
  1. outline the requirements
  2. determine what is needed to fulfill those requirements (materials, skill, tools)
  3. prepare a plan to fulfill the requirements (include a FMEA [failure mode & effects analysis] to point out possible failure points and make preventive and/or contingent plans to assure they don't destroy the end product or make it unfit for the customer's use.)
  4. include an in-process inspection to assure the plan is proceeding according to the original design (perhaps even confirm the plan with the customer (instructor) to assure the contract requirements will be met if the plan is followed)
  5. assemble tools and materials (assure workers are competent in using tools)
  6. implement the process (in writing a paper, this means reading and understanding the source material BEFORE including it in the paper)
  7. evaluate the progress from time to time (is it going according to plan?)
  8. seek an independent inspector to inspect the final product before delivery to the customer - an inspector who will check the final product for adherence to the requirements without bias in YOUR favor)
I suppose[SIZE=-1] if you HAD READ the source material instead of relying on someone else's synopsis (a WIKI), you might have come across something like Crosby's [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Maturity Matrix which discusses the "mile markers" (my term, not Crosby's) for determining how far individuals or organizations have progressed toward performance excellence.

As a Demingite, I recognize the flaws exhibited in your paper are not solely YOUR fault, but say a lot about the quality of preparation and training provided by your schools and instructors to date. I'm not clear whether "[/SIZE]3rd year engineering assignment" means you are going through the third year equivalent of a USA high school or of a USA college or university because I am not familiar with the school nomenclature in your country.

We can't fix flaws in your school system, but we can provide a form of tutoring if you come to us with an open mind, willing to learn from the combined knowledge of hundreds, if not thousands, of folks who have already trod the path you are taking. The number of replies you have received thus far are a prime indicator of the group determination to see you succeed and thus advance the light of the Quality field, serving our own self interest.

BradM

Leader
Admin

Hello Anna. Thanks for posting back. This has been a "lively" thread this week, and wanted to make sure we didn't overload you.

You referred to answering two questions. What would those questions be?

As far as vocabulary and using big words-welcome to a big club!:tg: Lots of people do that all the time. I might suggest a trade-off in your paper. For third year student, I would maybe push for simpler wording and better citations. You might even want to mention the tools that made each famous.

Now, I understand the desire to save time. Saying, it's way easier to read things on the Internet and cite than read the books on it.

1. If you are a third year engineering student, you are used to putting in some hours studying!:D Take a break from Diff. Equations and the like and read some about Quality Philosophy.:)

2. This is your education that you are paying for. Make it count. Reading in a little more authoritative books gives you so much more color and history for each person. Wiki is great, but anyone can write things there, and put their own spin on it.

As Stijloor stated, I know we have given you a lot. When you get a chance, let us know what your plan is for a rewrite.

College was so discouraging many times for me because no one would take the time to help me; to show me how to do things. So I figured I would give you a few things to help out.

Also, there is another thread going as we speak- need help of a person who was "thrown" into a quality position with no training, support, etc. It's important that current college-age individuals understand quality and the different approaches to it. Even if you go into management, it is all the more important to understand that it takes a commitment to realize a return from quality.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Anna,

As you have noticed; first-class advice from first-class people! Let us know how you scored on the re-write of your paper, and tell other fellow students about The Cove.

Stijloor.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator

Glad to see you have followed through here with some more comments. Yes, it would definitely help to know what the "questions" were that were to be answered by your paper.

A few related thoughts. Dr. Deming was actually against grades. What purpose do grades serve? We can grade fruit and use low grade fruit for juice, and higher grade fruit for whole fruit. But what purposes does it serve the student and the teacher? However, I find it good that your instructor has offered the opportunity for a regrade. You have an opportunity to learn from this experience. Another "guru" out there is Dr. Russ Ackoff, and he's made the statement you only learn by making mistakes. If you already knew how to do it the first time, you haven't learned anything.

And is it really fair to use the word "guru"? I know I use the phrase "Deming disciple" (okay, both words start with "D"). But, most of the quality "gurus" out there didn't want blind obedience, they wanted (want) you to think for yourself. Dr. Deming often railed against our desire for "instant pudding".

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

And is it really fair to use the word "guru"? I know I use the phrase "Deming disciple" (okay, both words start with "D"). But, most of the quality "gurus" out there didn't want blind obedience, they wanted (want) you to think for yourself. Dr. Deming often railed against our desire for "instant pudding".

Although the original Hindi form of "guru" describes a personal spiritual advisor, there's certainly nothing in it that suggests blind obedience. It's commonly used to describe influential leaders and teachers, and in the current context it's appropriate, if a bit hackneyed.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource

Anna, I just want to jump in here and say that you seem to realize and admit to your "shortcomings". I would say that is half the battle. There are many, many people in the world who are older, and supposedly wiser, who will not admit to having any shortcomings at all. Knowing what you don't know means that you have all the power over the problem, and you will go far. Thanks for coming to us, and again, good luck to you.

C

CGT71

Hi folks, this is my first post here. I stumbled onto (into!?) The Cove whilst researching online for this very assignment (same University here in NZ, but a different paper - go figure), and after wading through all of the very thoughtful and generous responses from you all was surprised to find this thread finish so abruptly. Does anyone know what became of Anna's re-submission? Thanks, Chris.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Hi folks, this is my first post here. I stumbled onto (into!?) The Cove whilst researching online for this very assignment (same University here in NZ, but a different paper - go figure), and after wading through all of the very thoughtful and generous responses from you all was surprised to find this thread finish so abruptly. Does anyone know what became of Anna's re-submission? Thanks, Chris.

Hello Chris!

Welcome to The Cove. :bigwave: :bigwave:

Regretfully, that happens quite often; people come here, get what they want, and then disappear. No ongoing effort to contribute and help others.

Did your search here at The Cove Forums provided you with the information you need? Please let us know.

And please, do come back and help others. :agree1:

Again, welcome!

Stijloor.

Top Bottom