Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

My company is looking to start a materials testing lab that conforms to ISO17025:2017

Sufiz,

Your assessment of the situation is WAAAAAAY off from reality. Accreditation is around $2500 just for the on-site assessment, then add an additional $1K or so for travel expenses. This is a yearly expense. Proficiency testing averages at least $500 and must be completed on the scope of accreditation every four years. Any standards used must have an accredited calibration with uncertainties. You must have uncertainty budgets for all calibrations. You must have an entire QMS specific to 17025. Your posts almost come off as disrespectful to the amount of work it takes to get accredited. 17025 makes 9001 look like play-dough. I would be glad to help if you PM me, but you'll be paddling against the current trying to do it alone without previous experience specific to 17025. That's just my take. I have started multiple 17025 labs so I am not just "blowing smoke". Average time to get accredited is 6 months for someone knowing exactly what they are doing, and a year or more for others.
My company is looking to start a materials testing lab that confirms to ISO17025:2017. I need a resource where I may see sample docmentation that follows the 17025 :2017 checklist.

Benjamin Weber

Involved In Discussions
My experience is, that starting with generic templates will give you more problems than creating your own documentation from scratch.

We got a complete set of templates from a consultant and then started to modifiy the contents to fit our specific situation. During this time we realized, that we were so focused on putting our content to the existing documents and the existing structure, that actually were only trying to squeeze our processes into this. But this does not work.

Until today (appr. 2 years later) the majority of our documentation has been revised and you cannot see anything from the templates anymore. But we should have spent this energy in the beginning, this would have saved a lot of non-comformities during our audits so far.

What I am trying to say: Start from scratch. You know your processes best. Go through ISO 17025 and see, were each single requirement might be met in the existing processes and write that down. If you find requirements that are not met, decide how you plan to do so and write that down.

Every business is unique and cannot be compared to others. Look at ten material testing labs and their documents and you will find ten completely different structures and processes. They have different staff structure, different business models, different infrastructure, different expertise....

You will benefit greatly when you generate your own documents and structure! Why? Because eventually you will really know, were to find things in your QMS and you will have to learn ISO 17025 requirements! This is the key during the audits!

If you squeeze your processes into generic templates, you will most likely end up with a zombie QMS, that comes to live only during the next audit. Then you get a lot of non-conformities, try again to squeeze changes into your templates and then the QMS is buried again for the next 12 to 18 months. A good auditor sees this - and he will most likely not like this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom