My company makes product to order - Are we design responsible? Exclude 7.3?

B

Brian B

I have a question of whether I can exclude 7.3. My company makes product to order.

Customers send me 2 types of drawings: TypeI dwgs are very specific, give exact dimensions. I specify suitable materials, I determine the appropriate mfg. processes etc.

Type II dwgs from my customers provide overall dimensions. Our engineering dept. calculates internal part size, specifies suitable materials and determines appropriate mfg methods.

My question is: Do we design our product, or not?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Dan Larsen

If you were simply making to print I'd say not. But you mention that you "specify suitable materials". From a metallurgical point of view, materials selection is generally part of the design process. Just one opinion.

A

Al Dyer

Your use of the word "specify" leads me to think that you are design responsible.

What do your customers think?

ASD...

[This message has been edited by Al Dyer (edited 17 April 2001).]

N

Quote :
'Type II dwgs from my customers provide overall dimensions. Our engineering dept. calculates internal part size, specifies suitable materials and determines appropriate mfg methods.'

Keywords :calculate / specifies.

It's like your customer said : I want a box for shipping easter eggs - he gives you the overall dimensions, but it does not specify how to and from which type of material you must manuf. that box - so it seems like design.

Design exclusions

This is an old thread, but there is some new information from one of my registrar contacts (NSF)

Accreditation bodies are scrutinizing registrations with exclusions. The most common exclusion is 7.3 Design and Development. A widespread practice for organizations was to exclude design when the company provided a service or had not designed a product for a long period of time. These are no longer permissible exclusions and the auditor must verify the justification during site visit…

In the pas, it was acceptable to simply state “no design activities” in your quality manual. The guideline [4.2.2 Quality manual] requires registered clients to provide an explanation of the exclusion. ISO/TC 176 has issued several documents to help organizations determine if their justification and documentation is appropriate. The documents are available on the web at http://www.iso.ch/iso/en/ISOOnline.frontpage
Just thought you would like to know.

A

Anton Ovsianko

Re: Design? Yes and NO

Brian,

Brian B said:

... TypeI dwgs are very specific, give exact dimensions. I specify suitable materials, I determine the appropriate mfg. processes etc.

Type II dwgs from my customers provide overall dimensions. Our engineering dept. calculates internal part size, specifies suitable materials and determines appropriate mfg methods.

My question is: Do we design our product, or not?
Type I: customers provide you with design out output, you can use as one of inputs to manufacture beside materials, equipment etc. (If we consider design as a process previous to manufacture)

Type II: customers provide you with design input, you can use together with other inputs like engineering skills and knowledge, CAD, PC's etc. to design and develop products (read to produce design output, you shall be able to use as one of the inputs of manufacture... and so on.

That is with type II drawings you definitely are responsible for design.

IMHO,

regards,

Anton
:smokin:

M

msrazak

hi there i am new here and i am also making an effort to REALLY understand the requirements after reading the standard a couple of times.

anyway, in my opinion i think if you just produce direct from your customer request than there's no design involved, but if there is some input form you into the customer request than that would surely involve design.

and the next question here is up to what extend? this is where you explain how deep are you involved in the deisgn activities of the product.

comments from anyone on the above are most welcomed.

Q
In my opinion there are very few companies who can say that they don't (according 7.3) design.
"Design" is very broad scope and covers a multitude of activities performed in the workplace.

John

:bigwave: Welcome to the Cove msrazak and John! Reading the information from the registrar, I think you are both pretty close. It will be much harder to exclude design than previously. I think one of the keys will be whether the organization is involved with the different aspects of design (planning, design input/output, review, verification, validation and the organization's input in changes. I think there will be a significant number of companies that are not going to be happy.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Medical Device Regulations in South Africa - Company makes thousands of Products Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
quality1 Sister Company makes Cables & Wires - Design & Development Exclusion Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
QMMike Looking for a company that makes check fixtures (N.E. Ohio area) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
H Exempt from FDA Registration or not? Company that makes parts for medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
Marc Company Makes Hiring Mistake, Sues Employee To Get Money Back Career and Occupation Discussions 11
S Malcolm Baldrige Company Dashboard Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 0
T IATF Rules for sharing production space with another company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
J Leveraging another company's ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R MDEL and company affiliate Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
E Our company is planning to file MDD not MDR next month. Do we require to show chemical characterization report ? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
S Is QMS like a set of rules and regulations that a company follows? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
E Contract manufacturer FDA requirements foreign company US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
J How much to charge for helping a startup company with initial ISO 13485 certification? Consultants and Consulting 3
J Sister-company providing parts is only ISO 9001 registered IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
D IATF 16949 Requirement for CMMI in a Global Company Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
T Help to Suggest name for a new certification and inspection company Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
M Address change for a company with CE/ISO13485 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M IT validation for a paper based MD repair company QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M QMS for a repair/servicing company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Internal Audits in a tiny Dx Company Internal Auditing 33
T ISO 13485 - 5.5.1 Responsibility and authority - Small Company Independence ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
F Quality manual for trading company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L Implementing the PRRC role in a company EU Medical Device Regulations 5
BeaBea ISO 9001 Customer Feedback Methods - What has worked for your company? Service Industry Specific Topics 17
M Customers Request AS9100 certification - Small Company (less than 20 employees) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
U Document Approval - Software company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
T EQMS for small medical device company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
qualprod Corona virus Contingency plan - What have you done in your company? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
Q Must product name be listed the same name in FURLS, UDI, GUDID and Company Website? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
E Sharepoint for ISO 13485 QMS for small IVD company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
Z 510(k) usage - Company has 2 physically similar products Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
Q Company Ownership Change ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
L Contracted Manufacture Company wanting to be able to design and manufacture own product. 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
D ISO9001 for one man company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
T Client Communication - SaaMD company Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
R Notified Body for MDD 1Q20 - Florida Company Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
E In need of a new TGA sponsor - Small software company Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
F ISO 17025 8.8 Internal Audits in a segmented company ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
E Company A supplies pharmaceuticals to the MOI - Who is responsible? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J Quality Assurance in China - Developing a quality management system for a California company Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
S How to determine & document Organizational Knowledge of a company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
U IT Process is Taken From company and Added to Corporate Structure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
G Is ISO 9001:2015 certification worth it for a company that does only contract manufacturing? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14
N Non traumatic edge - Remark in some of my company drawings EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Inventory management for a small startup device company Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M Software Development Company - Who would own the whole process and the certification afterwards? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
J ISO 9001 - How to decide if a company needs or will benefit from certification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
E What are appropriate deviations for a LHR/DHR? (Medical Device Company) Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
W My company is looking to start a materials testing lab that conforms to ISO17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 3