My Continuing Thanks to the Moderators, financial Contributors and the 'Regulars'!

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I want to take a minute to thank each Moderator for your ongoing time and participation. From helping other folks with their questions, to helping me with the forums and the content. I continue to appreciate everything each of you have done for me and for the site.

In addition, I want to thank the many 'Regulars' who take the time to help out others with answers to their questions. The forums wouldn't be what they are without the time and effort each of you have contributed to help others.

As many of you have undoubtedly noticed, I have been spending many hours renaming threads in the forums and making numerous other changes. I have been doing this in part to 'enhance' the site in Google's rating scheme. However, I also find that Searches in the forums and the 'Similar Threads' links are more relevant than they were. Thread titles are important because they let someone know whether there is content they are interested in. The more 'accurate and complete' the thread (or post) title, the less time is spent going down blind alleys.

'New' Google rankings came out this last weekend after some critical changes in how Google ranks sites and the Cove has risen dramatically in the rankings. Several 'key words' even bring up the site listing on the first page! I have attached a couple of examples. I also noticed yesterday and today there is a slight increase in visitors according to the log files. I can't say that higher a higher rank in Google will translate into a lot more visitors, but it's nice to see none the less.

Some rankings:
  • Google page ranking report - Keyword: iso9000 Position 5.
  • Google page ranking report - Keyword: iso 9000 Position 42.
  • Google page ranking report - Keyword: apqp Position 18.
  • Google page ranking report - Keyword: fmea Position 80.
  • Google page ranking report - Keyword: ppap Position 25.
  • Google page ranking report - Keyword: qs-9000 Position 4.
  • Google page ranking report - Keyword: as9100b Position 3.
  • Google page ranking report - Keyword: as9100a Position 12.
  • Google page ranking report - Keyword: iso/ts 16949 Position 10.
  • Google page ranking report - Keyword: ts 16949 Position 26.
  • Google page ranking report - Keyword: ts16949 Position 58.
  • Google page ranking report - Keyword: marc smith Position 21.
  • Google page ranking report - Keyword: marc t smith Position 1. (No kidding!)
If this stuff interests you, go to:
http://www.GoogleRankings.com

Rankings are subject to daily fluxuations, and also can differ geographically (what you get depends in part on where in the world you connect to Google from). None the less - These are good rankings!

Before last December I really wasn't very interested in search engine rankings, but since then I have spent a lot of time making changes to make the site more searchable - for both users and search engines. This is, obviously, in response to the advertising potential. While I anticipate additional advertising at some point, I plan to keep any additional advertising in a low key - such as Google's AdSense text links. I promise - No eye popping, seizure initiating, flashing distractions.

I do not like advertising any more than I ever did, but it has allowed me to reopen access to attachments to all registered users as it was prior to March 2003 and to stop bugging people to Contribute.

To those of you who contributed financially in the past:

I want to again thank you for your help and your support. It was invaluable and I will not forget your help. Only a couple of folks have contributed since January - which I expected to happen - but that is not important now, thankfully.

To all of you who financially Contributed prior to Midnight 8 March 2004 (sorry - no 'last minute' contributors - but, I'll be doing this again in the future so....), e-mail me using http://Elsmar.com/Forums/sendmessage.php - here from this page (click on link - you must be 'Logged In' in the forums so your ID will show) and I will send you a 1 day access to the Premium Access directory (files listing - http://Elsmar.com/Premium_Files.html).

Please expect a 12 to 36 hour delay from when you send the e-mail until I can activate you. It's now Tuesday so get me that e-mail. Please put "Contributor Premium" in the Subject field.

Again, my thanks to everyone! When someone thanks me for the site for one reason or another I truthfully say - It's not me - It's you folks who make the Cove what it is! :thanks:

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Marc said:
'New' Google rankings came out this last weekend after some critical changes in how Google ranks sites and the Cove has risen dramatically in the rankings. Several 'key words' even bring up the site listing on the first page! I have attached a couple of examples. I also noticed yesterday and today there is a slight increase in visitors according to the log files. I can't say that higher search ratings in Google will translate into a lot more visitors, but it's nice to see none the less.
Wow!:agree1: Those are amazing results Marc:applause: Congratulations to ...all of us

/Claes

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Claes Gefvenberg said:
Congratulations to ...all of us
Precisely! As is generally the case, it is a Group effort! The original Cove home page carried this phrase: "People Helping People!". It continues to be true!

I was also WoWed, I admit!

Is this:
http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2004/03/09/deep_web/index.html
The Future of Searching on the Internet?

"As new search spiders penetrate the thickets of corporate databases, government documents and scholarly research databanks, they will not only help users retrieve better search results but also siphon transactions away from the organizations that traditionally mediate access to that data. As organizations commingle more of their data with the deep Web search engines, they are entering into a complex bargain, one they may not fully understand.

If deep Web search engines can penetrate the sprawling mass of government output, they will give the electorate a powerful lens into the public record. And in a world where we can Google our Match.com dates, why shouldn't we expect that kind of visibility into our government?

When former Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill gave reporter Ron Suskind 19,000 unclassified government files as background for the recently published "Price of Loyalty," Suskind decided to conduct "an experiment in transparency," scanning in some of the documents and posting them to his Web site. If it weren't for the work of Suskind (or at least his intern), Yahoo Search would never find Alan Greenspan's scathing 2002 comments about corporate-governance reform.

The CIA and Dick Cheney notwithstanding, there is no secret government conspiracy to hide public documents from view; it's largely a matter of bureaucratic inertia. Federal information technology organizations may not solve that problem anytime soon. The deep Web search engines may just solve it for them.

That capability has attracted considerable interest from certain government agencies that shall remain nameless. "Some of our clients are spooky," says BrightPlanet COO Duncan Wittes. Other BrightPlanet customers include state governments, competitive intelligence researchers, and political campaigns whose "oppo" teams may want not only to search for what a candidate has said but also for what he or she may have "unsaid" over time.

Every year, the University of California at Davis pays the publisher John Wiley about $14,000 for a subscription to the Journal of Comparative Neurology, which publishes breaking research in its field. That may sound like a steep price tag for what is essentially a magazine subscription, but it's a tiny dollop of the $20 million the U.C. libraries spend every year on scholarly journals.

Scientific, technology and medical publishing constitutes an $11 billion industry. And like the rest of the publishing business, scholarly publishers have undergone massive consolidation in the past two decades. Once the province of small university presses and boutique academic imprints, scholarly journals now emanate from giant publishing conglomerates such as Elsevier, Thompson and Blackwells.

But those pricey journal databases now compete for attention -- and search queries -- from students and faculty with ready access to Google, Yahoo and the rest. And while the public search engines may not find every article in the journal literature, a growing portion of published research also finds its way out onto the Web."

With regard to 'Quality' of the informtion there was this quote:
"While page ranking won't replace the scholarly review process anytime soon, the expansion of public Web search engines will put downward pressure on the premium that publishers can command. "I don't think [page ranking] is more reliable," says Lyman, "but I do think it's perceived as legitimate. The cost of creating formally quality-controlled information may drive people to consider lower-cost alternatives."

Lyman adds, "When the public begins to use and accept non-qualified information -- relying on Google or other things to perform that function, like Technorati -- there are beginning to be quality mechanisms out there that are user-centric or generated by users,"

Ah, progress!

Marc

Staff member
Admin
As a quick FYI, since I started asking for Contributions last year as of last night 146 people have financially Contributed to the Cove at the 1 year (US$25) level. In addition, 8 chose the 6 month (US$18) and 19 chose the monthy (US$10) option. Fourty-five folks have Courtesy access and 122 folks Contributed by one of the following:
  • Contributing between March 2003 and June 2003,
  • Purchase of a Guide File Set,
  • Purchase of 'Member' restricted directory access or
  • Purchase of 'Premium' restricted directory access.
Again, to each of you, my heart felt appreciation! I never did make the 1 million Contributor's goal which someone here suggested was my goal, but I'm happy!

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Excellent! I found a thread to put this under! I hate starting new threads! Principle of Parsimony!

I just wanted to publicly give Coury Ferguson acknowledgement as what I perceive as top-notch effort from a moderator.

1. I made a post, and incorrectly inserted a quote. In an extremely short time frame, he privately sent me a message, asking if I wanted him to fix it.

2. I said yes. He fixed it immediately, and then sent me a message asking if he could help me out (which I also said yes).

3. He took the time to send several helpful private messages of explanation, including a link to a thread with more explanation.

Patience, professionalism, and care. Thanks, dude.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator
Thanks Brad, but I am only one person in group of excellent Moderators. The Moderators put a lot of effort in making sure the Cove runs smoothly and efficiently and make the Registered and unregistered user's experience helpful and enjoyable.

My hat goes off to the Host, Marc, the Moderators, and the people who continue to support the cove. :applause:

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
cscalise Determination of CPD (Continuing Professional Development) hours for a training course Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
A EASA Easy Access Rules for Continuing Airworthiness - June 2017 EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 0
M Continuing Education for Quality Professional (Online) Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 6
Marc The Continuing Decline of Google Search - 2013 - 2014 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 37
F FAA Letter of Need to establish Continuing Need Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 1
J Dual degree MSQA - CSU online program (MSQA) and continuing a Masters in Biotech Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
A EASA Part M - Continuing Airworthiness Management Organisation EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 40
D Continuing Assessment Audit - Recommended for continued registration 13485:2003 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D We completed our first annual ISO 13485 Continuing Assessment Audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Continuing Education - TPS (Toyota) Training/Conference Opportunities? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
C Using the Cove for CPD (Continuing Professional Development) with RABQSA ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 15
B Anyone Else bored with/during their continuing ISO 9001 audits? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
W Continuing Professional Development - Can anyone suggest suitable training material Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
Marc Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and The Cove Forums? Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
E Continuing a nightmare with the quantity of processes in organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Randy Continuing Professional Development - CPD for ISO 9000/14000 RAB Auditors? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 24
M We need to identify continuing training needs for external source training Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Thanks for the help Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Marc Interesting Discussion We have food safety laws thanks to 19th century “poison squad” Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
bobdoering Thanks to those that tried to fill the void Covegratulations 2
T Special Thanks to Everyone in this Forum! AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
S Thanks from a newbie Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
A Thanks for your help in the Elsmar forum IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
Wes Bucey Sucker Punch ("thanks for the free consulting, but no job for you!") Career and Occupation Discussions 8
H ISO 9001 - Thanks for the help ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
harrysons Thanks to Elsmar Cove - Successful TS16949:2009 Certification Covegratulations 10
T Nissan acronym: THANKS? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
G What is the proper Thanks Giving turkey sampling size? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
G VERY easy savory baked Thanks Giving party treat Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
S ISO 9001: 2008 Certification Success - Thanks Covegratulations 9
J Back from Europe, no thanks to BA Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 12
A Recommended for AS9100B Certification! Thanks! AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
Sidney Vianna Thanks Given to Others in Forum Posts Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
M closed thanks Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
K Successful Audit: Thanks for your help! ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
M Changing the CNC program - Money Saving Idea - Thanks to all of you. Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J Thanks Everyone Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
D Urgently need VDA6.3 guideline ! Thanks. VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 12
SteelMaiden Give Thanks - Thanksgiving Day in the US - November 2006 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
Wes Bucey Thanks for giving me the opportunity to give a little bit back Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 20
J Thanks To All Our Veterans Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 15
C Thanks for the help guys ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J How to use the six sigma in supply chain? thanks Six Sigma 3
J What is difference between the goal of PPAP with APQP, thanks APQP and PPAP 4
Q Registration Audit done! Thanks for all your help! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
N Big Thanks Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
M Thanks for the help with the usefull tips and guidance Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
S We Made it to TS 16949 Certification - THANKS! IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 27
B Giant thanks to Marc and all the Covers! ISO Upgrade with Zero NCs! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A Thanks,Marc Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3