My department inherited a large number CAPAs

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the helpful advice on this forum.

My department inherited a large number CAPAs from the previous regulatory/quality staff. There are 4 categories

1. Issues misidentified as CAPAs.

2. CAPAs with no effectiveness verification

3. CAPAs with incomplete action items (e.g. the corrective plans were not completed)

4. CAPAs with poor root cause analysis (e.g. the root cause identified is not the fundamental cause).

Some have been open since 2016. There is a new team of regulatory/quality staff. Would it be wise to close out some of the CAPAs falling into #1? Since they are not really CAPAs. What should we do about #4? (poor root cause analysis).

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
Hi everyone. Thanks for all the helpful advice on this forum.

My department inherited a large number CAPAs from the previous regulatory/quality staff. There are 4 categories

1. Issues misidentified as CAPAs.

2. CAPAs with no effectiveness verification

3. CAPAs with incomplete action items (e.g. the corrective plans were not completed)

4. CAPAs with poor root cause analysis (e.g. the root cause identified is not the fundamental cause).

Some have been open since 2016. There is a new team of regulatory/quality staff. Would it be wise to close out some of the CAPAs falling into #1? Since they are not really CAPAs. What should we do about #4? (poor root cause analysis).

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.
It would be definitely wise to close some of the CAPAs under #1 but be sure to document why those were not considered as CAPAs, and if those issues have been adequately addressed. For category#4, you could prioritize based on risk and identify timelines.

Kronos147 gave very valuable advise on "contain" and "correct".

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
While it probably sounds like piling on, you probably want to take a structured approach to resolving these issues... which sounds like a systemic issue = CAPA. I think Kronos was alluding to this but I'll toss out some more thoughts.

Why were issues misidentified as CAPAs? Presumably each is at least arising from a nonconformity. Do your current processes support proper vetting of issues to determine if they should be elevated to CAPAs?

Why did some have no effectiveness verification? Was the means to assess effectiveness not well defined? Was it a resource issue?

Why were action items incomplete? Were they too vague and not have objective completion criteria? Were there too few resources?

Why were poor root cause analyses allowed? Is no process in place to drive a structured means to define root cause(s)? Were personnel involved in the analyses not sufficiently trained or have suitable experience to drive to the true root cause(s)?

What Ajit said is all valid but you should probably be able to answer the question why such things would not happen again (and having a new staff is an incomplete answer).

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
FWIW...I would initiate another Corrective Action...if you have it, call it a Quality System Improvement (PA rather than CA) to cover all of the inherited CA's

"Previous CA system misidentified and potentially mishandled CA requests. This CA/PA is to catch up with older CA and improve the timliness of the CA/PA system."

This will put a stopper on audit findings based on (we found it ourselves and we're on it). ...and give you time to dig out from under.

Bucket the open CA's like you have, and get 'em done. (Dead, fixed, pursued as needed). Then keep on top of it from now on.

If a written CA is crap...kill it.
If a CA is valid, but not followed up timely...get it done now.
If root cause is not done well...do it now.
If the plan is in place but not done yet...git 'er done.
If verification was never done...do it now.

Life is messy....clean it up. But putting in a "We know this went wrong" CA/PA can help save some angst...and give you a deadline to git 'er done by...

HTH

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BeaBea How do I incorporate the IT department Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
BeaBea How Many Processes should be created for each Department? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
F Risk for Quality Assurance Department in a Hospital - Hospital Incident Reporting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Armen Conflict of Interest if I audit the QC department? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
D ISO 13485, FDA 21 CFR 820 and Auditing the Accounting Department ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T Question about Quality Department employee position titles Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
S SOPs applicable for Regulatory Affairs department Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
A ISO 17025 Requirement 6.2 - Department Manager Testing Qualifications ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
Marc From the "I'm glad I'm retired" Department (Oct 2019) Career and Occupation Discussions 7
C Neglect or legitimate deferral? Is excessive workload or lack of resources in a department or a team a valid root cause for a non-conformance? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 12
T Legalizing ISO 13485 certification with an US state department of health ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S Which department manages Establishment Registration, Device Listing and GUDID? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Outsourced processes how to interact with projects - We are an governmental department with 2 persons ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
E Department Plan for QA and HSE (profile, plans, structure, goals, etc.) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
M Medical Device News Olympus Medical pleads guilty to failing to file events notice: Justice Department Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Implementation of Total Quality Management/Starting a Quality Department Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 9
L How to manage a Metrology Department or Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Q Risks and opportunities that could be associated with the purchasing department ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
B FDA Philippines has no check or balance outside the health department Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
T Setting up a quality department in an Engineering Firm Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
S Quality Department Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
E ISO 9001:2015 for Information Technology Department Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
Q How do we document a department name change? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
V Information Technology Dashboard - IT Department Performance Metrics IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
P Re-Numbering Documents from the last Standard to Department and Title Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
L Ways to improve testing on our department - Project Kickoff Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
Q Department Expansion as a Quality Objective? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Y TQM Implementation in Facilities Department Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
A How to boost morale of Inspection Department Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
G Should the Quality Department originate a Request for Deviation to the Customer? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
A Quality Department - Operational Framework Service Industry Specific Topics 2
L Supplier Approval Process – Should the Quality Department be Excluded? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
S Acquisitions and Joint Ventures (Business Development Department) and ISO 13485 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Operational Procedure for an IT Service Industry Quality Department Service Industry Specific Topics 1
T Internal Audit not done for Quality Department Internal Auditing 11
A IT Managed Services Company Quality Department - Operational Document ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Crusader Can I Implement AS9100 in 1 Department only? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
S Preparing a Turtle Diagram for Maintenance Department Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
S ERP Software and Quality Department Procedures Integration Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
S Is it a Finding if all Internal Auditors are from the Quality Department? Internal Auditing 18
D Measurable objectives for our in-house calibration department General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
S ISO 9001 Audit requirement for maintenance department ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
A ISO 27001 function wise or department wise audit questionnaire with control & clauses IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
P Is Internal and external audit of Account Department applicable to any ISO standard Internal Auditing 5
M More than canned audit check-sheets? Auditing the Engineering Department Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 5
Marc Personnel Department to Human Resources Department - Changes over Time Career and Occupation Discussions 1
G AS9120 Purchase Department Performance Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R QA department in a manufacturing environment Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
S Sales Department Internal Audit Internal Auditing 24
M Where do I get the Calibration procedures of Department of Defense ? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2