My gratitude to Marc & the Cove

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
I am sorry that I missed Marc's "Misunderstanding/Thank You"until now, but I am glad I found it.

This is the kind of misunderstanding I wish there were more of. It is hard for me to articulate (yes, even for me) about how this made me feel. All I can say is that it should happen to everyone often.

Amongst Herzberg’s factors for motivation, he lists ‘recognition’. I was at odds with this because of the view I had taken after adopting Alfie Kohn’s thoughts on the destructive nature of recognition. I wondered how two figures I respect and who agree on most everything else could be so apparently opposite. I came to this conclusion: they aren’t in conflict.

I believe that the recognition that Herzberg describes is not the recognition typically thought of. I believe he is talking about the kind of recognition we realize for ourselves, for example, when folks come to you for answers because they find you dependable. This is very different than recognition given to you by committee in public or private. The pat on the back is nice and perhaps less harmful than rewards, sure enough, but it is not the reason why you did something. This is consistent with Kohn’s views.

I tell you this information because through our emails and in a personal conversation I had with Marc last week, Marc is not after public or private recognition (although he deserves both in my estimation). This to me is a testament to Marc’s good character. I respect his wish not to pursue his nomination as an ASQ Fellow, but based on my review of what is required to be a Fellow and Marc’s personal collection of credentials and contributions (the Cove being amongst this collection), Marc has what it takes.

I am also thankful for the many folks who come here to engage in discussion and in dialogue (something not widely practiced or appreciated) on Quality and many other topics. By reviewing my own posts from years back, I can see significant growth in my own thinking and a reshaping of my own personal theories on things. I don’t think I would have made this kind of progress without the Cove and without each of your thoughtful, constructive, and many times insightful feedback. I am relying on this in the coming year(s) to continue to contribute to my own learning. I hope that in some small way, I have done the same for you and greatly appreciate the opportunity Marc has given me by allowing me to help moderate a few forums. I would hope that if you have the means and the time that you might offer these to Marc to help make the Cove even more successful and to lessen the burden to him personally in maintaining the many forums we have created together. My personal list of thanks looks exactly like Marc’s and can't add to it not out of a lack of gratitude, but at the risk of leaving even one single person’s name off the list. I wish to thank everyone!!

I would also like to mention this thought. Back when the ASQ dropped the C from their name, they modified their Mission Statement. I recall this vividly because they forward draft copies to each section for review. While I can’t recall the exact verbiage (and could not quickly locate it at the ASQ site), the mission included a worldwide effort to increase quality awareness as part of the quality movement. In my opinion, Marc and the Cove Contributors achieve this aim, ASQ member or not. In addition, we achieve this aim, as evidenced by the participation at the ASQNet, with greater regularity and enthusiasm.

Thank you Marc for creating the Cove and thank you everyone!! Happy 2002!!

Kevin

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Thank you Marc and the Elsmar Cove Moderators and Members! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
Sidney Vianna Covegratulations to The Cove and Marc Smith - 19 years online January 6, 2015 Covegratulations 18
BradM Marc Smith hits silver status Covegratulations 30
P Thank giving to Marc for such a informative form Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
W Tribute to living legend Marc Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
Ted Schmitt Happy Birthday Marc !! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 21
Wes Bucey Big news! Marc Smith reaches 55 - no lightning strikes! World News 34
B Giant thanks to Marc and all the Covers! ISO Upgrade with Zero NCs! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A Thanks,Marc Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
CarolX Congrats, Marc Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
Pflanz A Return to the Cove Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
Sidney Vianna Any Pickleball player at The Cove? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
Marc GDPR - EU Directive 2016/679 and the Elsmar Cove Discussion Forum Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 3
N When they make the movie " Elsmar Cove " .... After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 17
BradM Why I am so appreciative of the Elsmar Cove Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
Marc Plagiarism in Elsmar Cove Forum Posts Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 0
BradM The Cove's Sister: Quality Forum Online Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
BradM The Greatness of Elsmar Cove Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
J Back to the Cove - Oil and Gas Industry Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
B Any forum at par with Elsmar Cove for Network and System Administration? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T Are there any members of the Chartered Quality Institute - UK on the Cove ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 11
R Covegratulations to The Cove: 18 years old! Covegratulations 3
somashekar Father of Elsmar Cove hits second SILVER Covegratulations 16
SteelMaiden Hello Cove! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
N Elsmar Cove Forum - What an amazing place Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
P For any programmers in the Cove - Web based ISO System? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
K Is reading the Elsmar Cove a legitimate work related activity Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 19
somashekar ~~ The Elsmar Cove Birthday - Online for 17 years! ~~ Covegratulations 16
B Why don't we have more representation from Registrars at The Cove? Registrars and Notified Bodies 14
somashekar Link to important websites within the Cove Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
Richard Regalado Elsmar Cove BCP - Continuity of the forum when disaster strikes Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 11
H Happy Birthday to the Elsmar Cove Forum - January 2012 Covegratulations 25
BradM Sidney Vianna - Ten years at the Cove! Covegratulations 23
harrysons Thanks to Elsmar Cove - Successful TS16949:2009 Certification Covegratulations 10
Crusader I miss the Cove! Crusader Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 42
BradM Happy Birthday Elsmar Cove!! 15 Years old Covegratulations 44
G What should an Elsmar Cove X-mas tree look like? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
J What Has The Elsmar Cove Done For You?? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 30
H Elsmar Cove Statistics Found Online Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
S Quality Policy - What is the Elsmar Cove's Quality Policy? Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 8
H Happy 14th Birthday to the Cove - January 2010 Covegratulations 16
P What is the meaning of your Elsmar Cove Forum User Name? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 58
B In terms of age, who are the youngest and oldest Elsmar Cove forum members? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 112
Sidney Vianna Does The Cove aid in conflict of interest? Registrars and Notified Bodies 14
somashekar Elsmar Cove reference in your CV 's ... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
N Cabot Cove vs. Elsmar Cove Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
Marc Privacy - Elsmar Cove Privacy Policy and Statement Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 0
Marc Privacy Policy - Elsmar Cove Privacy (and Cookie) Policy - 090405 Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 4
ScottK Elsmar Cove iPhone users After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 39
Sidney Vianna Jim Wynne reaches another Cove milestone: COVEGRATULATIONS! Covegratulations 49