My question is, what/when is a nonconformity? Therefore what requires an NCR?

This is an old thread but its the closest I could find to what I am looking for.

My question is, what/when is a nonconformity? Therefore what requires an NCR?

I have found lots of information about the subjective nature for determining the need for a CAR. But I have not found anything about what is a nonconformity and when is an NCR required.

Now, before you say that a non conformity is a failure to meet a requirement, realize that when a raw part enters a workcell it does not meet the customer's finished requirement. But we are not going to NCR a raw part that is in process. So I assume we would look to our internal processes for conformity.

To avoid writing NCR's all the time, why can't I write a procedure that allows "rework" within the work cell until the part meets "the requirements" of that procedure?

Here are some examples below:

From ASQ experts:
Bud Salsbury
ASQ Senior Member, CQT, CQI

Example: A welder accidentally causes weld spatter to fly into a tapped hole. The welder cleans out the B-B’s, re-taps the hole and moves on. Generating a non-conformance form should not be necessary in this case as no product was scrapped or made nonconforming.

From Jim Wynne in this thread: "It's not unusual for there to be a "touchup" operation after wave soldering--it's often a normal part of the process, and thus isn't considered rework. Rework happens as a result of nonconformity--a failure to meet requirements. It can involve missing or misplaced components, cold or missing solder joints, etc. Anything that causes an assembly to go backwards in the process should be considered rework."

I saw a different example that said a hole drilled to 9mm that is supposed to be 10mm is a nonconformity. I can see if that product is passed on and found elsewhere then it is a nonconformity. But if the machinist looks at his work and then fixes it by drilling to 10mm, why would that require an NCR?

If a process includes touchup after wave soldering is it a nonconformity that requires an NCR?
What are the extents of touchup? Is a tombstoned component a nonconformity if it is fixed in the workcell and does not leave that operation?

This seems like a very gray area!!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

outdoorsNW

Quite Involved in Discussions
The original post was about PCBs, and I am going to use PCBs as an example.

For bare rigid PCBs, most of the time IPC-6012 and IPC-A-600 are used to determine what is acceptable. Almost all customer and MIL specs make frequent references to these two documents. Some specialized applications use other IPC specs, but most of those IPC specs make many references back to the two listed earlier or are referenced inside the two documents.

For assembled boards, J-STD-001 and IPC-A-610 are used. These two documents are frequently referenced by most customer specific, MIL, and special purpose specs.

For defining rework vs repair of assembled PCBs, IPC 7711/7721 define rework and repair procedures, clearly identifying what is rework and what is repair in the section title. My company has customers who use different definitions, but 7711/7721 is our usual guide.

As to the previous post, if a hole is drilled out 1 mm, is the hole roundness and surface finish going to be the same as a hole drilled at 10mm from the beginning? Is the alignment going to be the same or has later steps made accurate work holding more difficult? Does roundness or surface finish matter for the application? If the hole is reamed either way, the reamer may make the holes functionally the same.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Trusted Information Resource
Make certain you check your industry definition of rework vs repair. I have seen industries where the definitions are not to the common usage.
For example:
Audit and survey
Rework and repair
are two that I have encountered differing interpretations.
Agreed, as it tends to be an industry specific definition, and in some cases a CSR or Customer Specific Requirement...some firms may in fact consider re-runing a PCB across a wave solder station a rework.....my own crude definition + Rework brings it back to full specs, Repair restores functionality but not to spec...hope this helps

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Repair would be a design change (but see Note below).

Rework would conform to the design.

Note: The design may however specify any permissible repairs to correct common nonconformities.

msbettyhunt

Starting to get Involved
In simple words to understand the concept Rework is an act of reprocessing non-complying product, through the use of original or alternate equivalent processing, in a manner that assures compliance of the product with applicable drawings or specifications. Repair – Action on a nonconforming product to make it conform to requirements.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Repair – Action on a nonconforming product to make it conform to requirements.
Betty,

We have to be careful here:

A. Repaired product may be made suitable for use; conforming to an approved design/contract change.

B. Some nonconforming products may be reworked (and reverified) as conforming to the original requirements.

In my experience, repair is always a design change or a contract change and may result in a lower price.

Best wishes,

John

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
From 9000:2015, for what its worth:
rework
  • action on a nonconforming product or service to make it conform to the requirements
    • Note 1 to entry: Rework can affect or change parts of the nonconforming product or service.
repair
  • action on a nonconforming product or service to make it acceptable for the intended use
    • Note 1 to entry: A successful repair of a nonconforming product or service does not necessarily make the product or service conform to the requirements. It can be that in conjunction with a repair a concession is required.
    • Note 2 to entry: Repair includes remedial action taken on a previously conforming product or service to restore it for use, for example as part of maintenance.
    • Note 3 to entry: Repair can affect or change parts of the nonconforming product or service

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...A. Repaired product may be made suitable for use; conforming to an approved design/contract change. … In my experience, repair is always a design change or a contract change and may result in a lower price.
Or it could be accepted under concession without changes to the design or contract, or a reduction in price. Depends on your customer and your industry.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Question regarding customer feedback process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Quality engineering positions in US - question Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
D Equipment Register related question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Study sign off question / responsibilities ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Qualification question - ISO 13485 Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
M Question for Auditors - "Off the Record" Conversation? General Auditing Discussions 14
D Question regarding ECO process, specifically for Life Science products and defining form fit and function ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R Accelerated Aging - Creating test samples - Implantable medical device Question Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
A Question on Authorized Representative in Malaysia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
D Limited Scope for second site Question? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
I ISO 2233:2000 Question - Medical Device Shipping/Transportation Validation Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
Anonymous16-2 Labeling Question (Dietary Supplements/Food) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
T Question for: Cg & Cgk calculation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
N ASL Question for GitHub ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
hogheavenfarm GDT Flatness measurement question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
A Question on ISO 14001:2015 - Are annual audits required? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
dinaroxentool Question about FDA Classification of a Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Another DFAR question 252.225-7009 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
F Conflict Mineral Smelter Question RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 8
R NRTL - Scope Question - Off-the-Shelf Plug In IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
D API 6A Certification Question Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
dinaroxentool Question about qualification as a medical device or accessory in Europe EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R DHR question: Traceability of components ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C MDR - Question around software accesories EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Watchcat Authoritative References about the Research Question? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 0
T Question about Quality Department employee position titles Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
N Question on creepage/clearance requirements for HF Active Accessories for 2nd edition 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
I Question 1 - Nitpicking on Document Approval - can a document approval record be separate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Question: How to create an IMDS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
K Question on whether IEC 60601-2-62 standard is applied IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
B QMS question in regards to multiple medical devices/products and N/A activities Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
C NB approval - Basic question about Notified Bodies and their role EU Medical Device Regulations 10
G Question about Non-conformances during New Product Introduction Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
F ISO 13485 8.2.3 Reporting to regulatory authorities: Question regarding a procedure for this clause. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
O Mitutoyo Digital Caliper to PC USB question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R Probability - Need a help to solve the below question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
B Minitab Type 1 Gage Study on True Position Question Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
Q Supplier audit question cataloque VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
Ed Panek Inactive key supplier question - We are not actively buying from them ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
T Potential Off-Label Use question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
R Question on determining defective units - I am not recording fixture to part rejected Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
Ed Panek Rule 11 Question - CE approvals for software as well as the medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 6
H Question about implications of performing Firmware upgrade via MDDS - Medical Device Data Systems 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D Company Moving - Relabelling Question Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Ronen E Tolerance intervals (?) question - Flow Rate Probability Range Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
S Conformity Assessment Route question for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K AS9100D 8.4.1.1 external providers question - Walmart, Home Depot, our lawn care team. etc. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 20
E Question on GD&T added to print - Positional callout for the small holes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
J IEC 60601-1, ed 3.1 - Blue icon question IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
A PFMEA English language question IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4