Naming Convention

Milas

Registered
I have a couple of questions in relation to the current NPI process which is being deployed by the Medical device Manufacturer I work for and would appreciate your comments/feedback on the below:

The naming convention for the 4 stage NPI process, which is currently deployed, is as follows: Conception -Trial Run - Pilot Run and Mass Production. Can I ask whether this naming convention for the phases is correct or, is there an alternative naming convention which is used to identify the different phases of the NPI process for medical devices ?

We also assists with the development of the customers products. Can I ask whether development comes under the conception phase or should it have its own different phase ? and the second part of this question is that regardless of whether it's included in the conception phase or has its own phase, can the overall process be still referred to NPI or does the inclusion of development mean its needs to be referred to as NPID or something else, i.e. product Realisation process ?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm not aware of anything that drives a specific NPI process / stages so it's up to your company as to how they name them.

Where development falls would be difficult to say without seeing what your company's definition of the stages are. I would expect, though, that development will be prior to your (presumably manufacturing) conception. The standards / regulations drive a "Design [and development] Transfer" activity prior to manufacturing and I would suppose that would be the kickoff point for your Conception stage. Product Realization (based on ISO 13485 - the US QSR has similar activities but doesn't use that specific term) spans design and development through production.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
x-files Naming convention: OHSMS or OHSAS Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 13
D Template for the kind of naming convention on my test setup Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
A Document Naming Convention (Document Identification) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
A Naming Convention for our ERP System Purchase Parts Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
S Document Naming Convention and Versioning Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
K Part Naming Convention for SAP ERP Application Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
D Naming of newly merged department Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
I Hazard Identification and Naming ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
D Naming of SOP doc's - Specific to Calibrations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
O The Naming of Standards - BS EN ISO vs ISO Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
O A slightly frivolous question about Naming a Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
I FDA FURLS Medical Device Listing Naming Scheme 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
G Medical Directive Naming Conventions CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
J File Naming of Internl and External Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
x-files Hardcopy and Electronic Forms for same purpose vs. Naming and Numbering System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
I Is there any standard for naming documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
Q Engineering Documents Names should follow Quality Naming Coding? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Q Naming Documents using Process or Sub-Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Calibration Unique Device Naming Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
Q Numbering or Naming (Identification) of Generic Company Specifications? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
H Document Naming Conventions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
B Project Naming Conventions Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
Marc Parents lose custody after naming girl 'Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii' World News 8
J ISO 9001 3D CAD Data File Naming Conventions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
P Hardware Naming and Description issue - Is TAP BOLT an industry common term? Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
Q Need Procedures related to Maritime Convention, Guidelines, Legislation, etc Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
V FDA regulatory requirement on the lot number convention for medical devices US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D Auxiliary View Fold Line convention in ASME standard? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
K Engineering Drawing Convention for Units of Measure Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
T Performance Document vs. Project Document Numbering Convention Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
T General convention used for dimensional inspection - 4x Accuracy? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1