Narrow definition of IMTE or calibration possible?

cjaldous

Starting to get Involved
Has anyone heard of, or worked in an accepted IMTE system that used limitations to reduce the amount of equipment tracking/calibration?

I'm trying to find a way to limit our IMTE requirements/scope. It was recently suggested that ALL IMTE (calibration required or not) be tracked on a list. We currently do this for calibrated equipment, but not for equipment that does not require calibration. Additionally, we do not document the reason that a piece of IMTE does not require calibration.

We are considering trying to limit tracked IMTE to only include equipment requiring calibration, and for IMTE to only require calibration when it is involved in final acceptance testing or when it is determined that the risk of passing bad parts/product before final testing to not acceptable.

I get the feeling that many just calibrate and track "everything" as it's easier than assessing risk for each IMTE.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Staff member
For most calibration or asset tracking software, tracking "all" is far easier and quicker and cheaper than deciding "which ones?".

What roadblocks are you running into that makes you ask? Are you seeing a specific problem? What is it?

somashekar

Staff member
Admin
Has anyone heard of, or worked in an accepted IMTE system that used limitations to reduce the amount of equipment tracking/calibration?

I'm trying to find a way to limit our IMTE requirements/scope. It was recently suggested that ALL IMTE (calibration required or not) be tracked on a list. We currently do this for calibrated equipment, but not for equipment that does not require calibration. Additionally, we do not document the reason that a piece of IMTE does not require calibration.

We are considering trying to limit tracked IMTE to only include equipment requiring calibration, and for IMTE to only require calibration when it is involved in final acceptance testing or when it is determined that the risk of passing bad parts/product before final testing to not acceptable.

I get the feeling that many just calibrate and track "everything" as it's easier than assessing risk for each IMTE.
Very good post....
The organization shall determine the monitoring and measurement to be undertaken and the monitoring and measuring equipment needed to provide evidence of conformity of product to determined requirement. <from ISO 13485:2016, Clause 7.6>
This is not a risk based decision, but a thought based decision to be made for all the monitoring and measurement to be undertaken and the monitoring and measuring equipment selected for it, including that for the work environment monitoring and measurement, which has a direct bearing on the conformity of products.
So here kindly reconsider .....

cjaldous

Starting to get Involved
Ninja and Soma thank you for your replies.

Soma, from your reply and the 13485 clause, it seems we could limit our calibration to IMTE that is used to prove conformity to product requirements.

Ninja, let me give an example. If we use a DMM to select a resistor which has a direct effect on the performance of a product, and the performance affected by that resistor selection is eventually tested later in the process, then we can decide to not calibrate the DMM used for resistor selection because we know that the multimeter is x times more accurate than needed, that they rarely drift out of spec for this purpose, and most importantly, because the product requirement affected by that resistor choice is measured later in the process and we are ok with the added risk of non-conforming product at that later testing stage. Does this make sense?

Ultimately we are trying to simplify the amount of equipment tracked to reduce the possibility of past due calibrations and the increased production responsibilities to cover the additional equipment.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Staff member
It was recently suggested that ALL IMTE (calibration required or not) be tracked on a list. We currently do this for calibrated equipment, but not for equipment that does not require calibration. Additionally, we do not document the reason that a piece of IMTE does not require calibration.
Tracking assets is a normal part of doing business and protecting from theft.
Tracking calibration due dates is a normal part of maintaining a robust and effective testing environment.
If you're gonna track stuff, why do it twice?
Track ALL assets...and have additional info on stuff that needs calibration in the same dbase.
That's what I was getting at above.

...not documenting the reason why "calibration not required" seems irresponsible. How do you know the reason isn't "we didn't feel like it"?
If we use a DMM to select a resistor which has a direct effect on the performance of a product, and the performance affected by that resistor selection is eventually tested later in the process, then we can decide to not calibrate the DMM used for resistor selection because we know that the multimeter is x times more accurate than needed, that they rarely drift out of spec for this purpose, and most importantly, because the product requirement affected by that resistor choice is measured later in the process and we are ok with the added risk of non-conforming product at that later testing stage. Does this make sense?
To a degree, yes...but to a degree, no.
My mainstay (stated in other threads here as well):
If you care about the measurement enough to make it, calibrate the test equipment.
If you don't care about the measurement enough to calibrate...why are you bothering to test it?

I can understand your reasoning making the cal cycle for the 'in-line' test 4yrs, or 10yrs...and the product end of line test being one year, or two years (based on data)...
I cannot understand why you would go to "calibration not required", and still spend the time and money to test at all for what may, in fact, be a meaningless number.
If you're willing to take the risk, fine...just scrub the in-line test and save yourself the labor cost.

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
This jumped out at me:

Ninja, let me give an example. If we use a DMM to select a resistor which has a direct effect on the performance of a product, and the performance affected by that resistor selection is eventually tested later in the process, then we can decide to not calibrate the DMM used for resistor selection because we know that the multimeter is x times more accurate than needed, that they rarely drift out of spec for this purpose, and most importantly, because the product requirement affected by that resistor choice is measured later in the process and we are ok with the added risk of non-conforming product at that later testing stage. Does this make sense?
I apologize if this comes across as harsh: This situation sounds to me as if the product could use some more engineering. The manufacturing process as described sounds much more like assembly in a test lab for trials than a design that is suitable for manufacturing.

I can imagine certain complicated designs where some other (poorly controlled) element of the design can be compensated with a 'tuned' choice of a resistor, but I'm still thinking that my imaginary designs could be better engineered. Even in such circumstances I agree with @Ninja that "if it is important enough to require the measurement in the DMR, then measurement equipments needs to be calibrated" (my words). I'll suggest something even more annoying (perhaps): you ought to be recording the measurement at the time it is made.

dwperron

Soma, from your reply and the 13485 clause, it seems we could limit our calibration to IMTE that is used to prove conformity to product requirements.

What you are required to track on a list will depend on your industry requirements.
In the 13485 world 7.6 is the operative clause:

The organization shall determine the monitoring and measurement to be undertaken and the
monitoring and measuring equipment needed to provide evidence of conformity of product to
determined requirements.

You are the organization. If you decide that determining conformity is only required at final acceptance test then you can declare that only that equipment requires calibration / traceability. You will most likely be called upon to show how you have come to that conclusion, and this should be documented and records be maintained.

cjaldous

Starting to get Involved
This jumped out at me:

I apologize if this comes across as harsh: This situation sounds to me as if the product could use some more engineering. The manufacturing process as described sounds much more like assembly in a test lab for trials than a design that is suitable for manufacturing.

I can imagine certain complicated designs where some other (poorly controlled) element of the design can be compensated with a 'tuned' choice of a resistor, but I'm still thinking that my imaginary designs could be better engineered. Even in such circumstances I agree with @Ninja that "if it is important enough to require the measurement in the DMR, then measurement equipments needs to be calibrated" (my words). I'll suggest something even more annoying (perhaps): you ought to be recording the measurement at the time it is made.
That is a bit harsh, but that's ok. The transducers that we use, and need to equalize on a unit to unit basis, can vary wildly in response. The variance in transducers could be reduced/controlled through sorting, which we would rather not do. Otherwise, there is is no alternative transducer with a better specification because there is no market for a better spec'd unit. This is a very low volume, hand assembled, analog circuit based research device.

Regardless, thank you for your input.

dwperron, I understand and agree. Our records and SOPs were not enough to sway a recent auditor so it's been a struggle. Thank you for responding.

Tidge

That is a bit harsh, but that's ok. The transducers that we use, and need to equalize on a unit to unit basis, can vary wildly in response. The variance in transducers could be reduced/controlled through sorting, which we would rather not do. Otherwise, there is is no alternative transducer with a better specification because there is no market for a better spec'd unit. This is a very low volume, hand assembled, analog circuit based research device.
Design issues aren't germane to the discussion of IMTE calibration, but it is entirely possible that there is an alternate design that meets all the needs of the transducer, and removes the need for sorting/hand-tuning. I understand that with low-volume, there may be no appetite to do better... but design teams should be willing to accept the challenge. Sometimes the answer isn't on the application sheet for the part that has always been used.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Narrow limit gauging Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
J Source for calibration stickers - Narrow "For Reference Use Only" wrap-a-round General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
G Medical Device - Borderline/Definition EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Configuration Item definition question AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
J Definition Outsourced process - Clear definition - 13485 Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
M Definition Aviation - Definition of Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
J Where is the definition of a critical supplier? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
A DMDIV-Variants : definition and technical documentation CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
O Clarifying FDA definition of "finished device" and “capable of functioning” 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
L 'Distributor' definition & MDR/MSR relationship EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Definition of equipment for ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M ISO 13485:2016 Complaint Definition Clarity Customer Complaints 2
DuncanGibbons Technical Data Package vs Digital Product Definition APQP and PPAP 0
S Definition of "worldwide" in view of IATF 16949 and Product conformity IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S Importer definition EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Software as Medical Device (SaMD) definition and its applicability Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
M Definition of Done - New Product Phase to the sustaining phase Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Help me improve the definition for internal PPM Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D Tolerance definition based on expected Cp/cpk Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 14
D BS EN 62304 - Medical-Relevant Data C.5 - Definition of IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
P Definition of production tooling in IATF16949 clause 8.5.1.6 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J Sample size definition in an Automotive SMT pilot lot run Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
J Definition Defect Mapping - Here is my definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
D Definition of "Critical Laboratory Equipment"? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Z Definitive definition of design? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R Definition Key Supplier - Definition of Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 7
A Definition of customer in ITP (Inspection & Test Plan) Contract Review Process 3
F MEDDEV 2.7/1 rev 4 and MDR - Definition of Description of Principles of operation EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Definition of "servicing activities" - Spinal Implants ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T Custom made medical device MDD vs MDR definition CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
C Function definition for DFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 1
W Key functional characteristic definition - Tolerances and Deviations Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
Marc Definition Waiver - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
M Informational MHRA guidance – Assistive technology: definition and safe use Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R Critical suppliers (Definition of) and MDSAP (Medical Device Single Audit Program) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 19
Pancho Definition Quality Assurance Program - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
M Inputs on definition of very similar processes for multi site audit sample - IAF MD1 2018 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
U Hand-Held dosing device has no PATIENT - Interpretation of the PATIENT definition IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
L Medical Device Accessory - Health Canada guidance / definition on what an accessory is Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
C MDR Importer/Distributor Definition Questions EU Medical Device Regulations 29
G Medical Device "Immediate Container" Interpretation of Definition US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S Definition of Convenience Kit for a Combination Product US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
M Are Risks and Opportunities Required as Part of the Process Definition ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Definition of "Sensitive Products" Clause 8.5.4 (c) in AS9100 Rev. D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Marc Definition Jidoka - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
Marc Definition DFMEA (Design FMEA) - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
J Definition of repackager v. manufacturer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
S MDR Annex II Design & Manufacturing info - 'Adjuvants' definition EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C Informational CFR 21 Definition for Data or Raw Data Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 5
I Lot or Batch definition for IVDs Imported Legacy Blogs 0