National standard to calibrate a Colorimeter and a Spectrophotometer

qcman

Registered Visitor
Anyone know if theres a national standard to calibrate to for a colorimeter and a spectrophotometer? Lab in our anodize plant has one of each not in the system. Department head told me there is no calibration technique for the colorimeter and that the spectrophotometer is calibrated each time it is used. I found this during last weeks ISO cert audit (they did not find it). I called the producer of these instruments and they said the can calibrate them to the manufacturers spec. Under ISO9001 if theres no known traceable standard you can document your own cal procedure/standard but does this apply if theres a manufacturers calibration ?

Last edited by a moderator:

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Gage calibration question

I've used spectrophotometers in the past and they came with calibration standards which we used daily.

They were not NIST traceable because color measurements were for reference only.
I was in plastics, I wasn't a plater or anodizer but if I was I would do the same.

If I may ask, how are the colors in your application so important as to require NIST traceability for the measurement equipment?

edit - for what it's worth - the data I collected with a sprectrophotometer at one job was used in legal proceedings to help assess damages, but the calibration issue never came up.

as to your last question - the standard states that "the basis used for calibration or verification shall be recorded". If they state their basis is the calibration standard that came with the unit, then that's good enough for me if it's good enough for their customers.

Last edited:

qcman

Registered Visitor
Re: Gage calibration question - Spectrophotometers

*how are the colors in your application so important as to require NIST traceability for the measurement equipment?*

It's not, honestly I don't even know what the heck it does:tg: What I am unsure of is if no NIST exist does it then fall to the calibration standard that came with the unit or do we make and record our own ?

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin

Moved thread to Calibration forum.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator

*how are the colors in your application so important as to require NIST traceability for the measurement equipment?*

It's not, honestly I don't even know what the heck it does:tg: What I am unsure of is if no NIST exist does it then fall to the calibration standard that came with the unit or do we make and record our own ?

I'd recommend using the standard(s) that came with the unit(s) and documenting the process as such.
If an external auditor has a problem with that you can always take the "they're used for reference and it's really no different than having a light/target/dark sample for comparison"

D

DsqrdDGD909

Anyone know if theres a national standard to calibrate to for a colorimeter and a spectrophotometer? Lab in our anodize plant has one of each not in the system. Department head told me there is no calibration technique for the colorimeter and that the spectrophotometer is calibrated each time it is used. I found this during last weeks ISO cert audit (they did not find it). I called the producer of these instruments and they said the can calibrate them to the manufacturers spec. Under ISO9001 if theres no known traceable standard you can document your own cal procedure/standard but does this apply if theres a manufacturers calibration ?

There are companies which make NIST traceable standards for colorimeters and spectrophotometers.

Here's one:

http://www.in-spec.com/resources/nisttraceable.php

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Speaking of National Standard, is it possible to use calibration procedure based on invention? That are available online? Can these invention information replaced the NIST Traceability for Calibration? Please advise.
Best regards,
Raffy

Q

qualitychic

I don't know who is the manufacturer for your spectrometer. But, as I recall there is no really standard for it. When I was in plastic, we had the spectrometer made by Minolta. Minolta does calibration for our spectrometer, but I cannot honestly remember what the cert said. I recalled a discussion about internal verification of the spectrometer where you can purchase a tile or something like that for them. I suggest you may want to contact them just for informational sake. Good luck!

Top Bottom