NB (Notified Body) Audit of Standards

akp060

Involved In Discussions
Hi All,

Requesting for information on whether NBs during their audit, look for sources the international standards are purchased from. Or are they okay if we show them the standard only (full version). Asking to know if we require an audit trail for this.

pziemlewicz

Involved In Discussions
Hi All,

Requesting for information on whether NBs during their audit, look for sources the international standards are purchased from. Or are they okay if we show them the standard only (full version). Asking to know if we require an audit trail for this.

I have not seen them look for source, however I have had them ensure that you're within copyright limitations and that people are using the current, recognized revisions. ~2014 I received a minor nonconformance against control of external documents.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
whether NBs during their audit, look for sources the international standards are purchased from.
They are interested in whether you have and use the current version of applicable standard(s). I have not seen an interest in where you purchased your standard(s).

jmech

Trusted Information Resource
Not specific to notified bodies, but some certification bodies / regulatory bodies do require you to have authorized copies and might check. In my experience, they don't usually require an audit trail, but they could ask for evidence that a copy is authorized, especially if it looks like you have an unauthorized copy.

From API QR (ANAB-accredited CB for ISO 9001 and 14001 and unaccredited registrar for API standards):
The registered or applicant organization is required to maintain at least one official copy of the most current edition of the English
language version of the Management System(s) standards under which it is registered or seeking registration.
source: page 5 (Part 1 point 12) from https://www.api.org/~/media/Files/C...R-Registration-Req_Rev-12_FM-004_20190806.pdf

From ABSA (pressure equipment regulator in Alberta, Canada):
An organization performing work under a quality management system (QMS) as required by the Pressure Equipment Safety
Regulation is required to possess or have authorized access to all of the codes and standards that pertain to its work.
Photocopies and other unauthorized copies of codes and standards are not permitted, and organizations are expected to
adhere to all applicable copyright laws. ... Adherence to these rules is checked periodically at the time of audit.
source: page 4 from https://www.absa.ca/media/2183/v25-iss1-2020-march-the-pressure-news.pdf

Top Bottom