NC for poorly communicated Quality Policy - Does it add value to an audit?

eternal_atlas

Involved In Discussions
Our organization is into Electro mechanical, EPCM, Oil and Gas Sector with more than hundred projects with unique customer or contract requirements. Our company is employing the people from India (speaking 4 regional languages), Philippines (phillipino), Egypt (Arabic) ,US and UK (English) for all levels.

- We have communicated the quality policy only in English through employee manual and posters in all relevant places not
- Also, whoever joins in our company immediately undergoes quality awareness programme too.
- Some of the technicians does not answer the quality policy key words to the auditor.
- Even project manager just read it by seeing the poster.

Non Conformance:

Auditor raised a non-conformance to the management as per 5.3(d) & 6.22(b) since the quality policy is not well communicated and understood at all levels and no effectiveness is there for the quality awareness programme conducted.

My Corrective Action:

I write quality policies in all languages and paste it all relevant places. I can ask my guys to memorize some key words to tell whenever there is an audit... it has done by means of paper work..

Auditor closed the non-conformance by doing the same exercise...

My Question is:

I agree with the non-conformance raised by the auditor. I don't think so, there is a value added to us due to this finding or corrective action taken. Comment on this please

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: Is it a value or result oriented added audit?

I guess I need some clarification here: Was this an Internal Audit or 3rd Party?
Doesn't matter............

I think our OP is missing the point.............It's not writing and posting that is the problem, communication requires "understanding" to be effective. The policy has to be understood by employees to the point that they as individuals can say how it effects them in their job performance and how they, the individual, help the company turn the promise's made in the policy into reality.

Just posting stuff is not communicating:nope:

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator

I think our OP is missing the point.............It's not writing and posting that is the problem, communication requires "understanding" to be effective. The policy has to be understood by employees to the point that they as individuals can say how it effects them in their job performance and how they, the individual, help the company turn the promise's made in the policy into reality.

I understand; but I was curious if it was either Internal or External, because it would be easier to determine Cost Value added. If this was an External Audit, I would be a little concerned on the finding.

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
Re: NC for poorly communicated Quality Policy - does it add value to audit?

If you refer Guidance Document - Auditing Quality Policy, Quality Objectives and Management Review, it says -

The quality policy and its effective deployment can only be truly assessed based on the overall results of the audit.

Audit methods should include:

• Interviewing Top Management to understand their approach and commitment to quality; (click here to link to the guidance paper on the auditing of Top Management processes)

• Evaluating, through the records of management review, the commitment and involvement of Top Management in the establishment, implementation, monitoring and updating of the quality policy;

• Assessing whether Management has effectively “translated” the quality policy into understandable words and guidelines at all levels of the organization, with corresponding objectives at each applicable function / level;

• Conducting interviews with personnel to verify if they have the required awareness, understanding and knowledge of the way the organization’s quality policy relates to their own activity, regardless of the terms used by such people to express their understanding;

• Seeking evidence of effective dissemination of the quality policy by appropriate communication.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
As I see it, the primary failure here is that the AUDITOR "left the building" without being certain his own communication vis a vis the NC was understood by the auditee.

It should not be up to the auditee to search around on the internet for an interpretation of the NC.

Re: Randy's comment
I agree there is NO DIFFERENCE whether the NC was from internal, second party, or third party audit. There is still a lack of true communication and understanding by concerned parties regarding the NC.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator

Randy is correct. :agree1:

The communication process in organizations leaves a lot to desire.

I have seen:
  • Banners
  • Bulletin boards
  • Organizations' websites
  • Newsletters
  • Handouts
And heard:
  • Speeches (from the boss)
  • Meetings (run by the boss)
Rarely is the effectiveness assessed to verify if the true message really came across. Randy uses the word "Understanding." How true this is.

Most (management) "communication" is one-way traffic. Hardly any opportunity for feedback. :frust:

Oh yes, and don't ask" "Do you understand?" People will never admit they don't. :nope:

I do have seen excellent examples of internal communication; often informal, by the boss walking the floor, and engaging in open two-way conversations with employees. So simple, so low-tech, so effective.....

Stijloor.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
2 questions have to be asked and answered....

"What does it mean to you?"

"How are you helping to make it happen?"

If they can't be answered then there is most likely a lack of "communication" taking place.
Excellent questions! :applause:

In my training classes, I encourage the participants to think about their Quality Policy and possible responses using their own words.
I always discourage preparing speeches or using canned (pre-cooked)responses.

Stijloor.

Big Jim

Trusted Information Resource
Directly to the original question. Does this nonconformance add value to the Audit?

Absolutely yes. He showed you where you fell short of a requirement and you need to find a way to fix it. The requirements are also known as "shalls", as in you shall do this or you shall do that. They are not "recommendations". They are not "we want you to's". The are not "shoulds". They are requirements.

Do you have some challenges to overcome to make sure that the quality policy is understood throughout the organization? Yes, you do, especially with such a diverse group. Diverse in culture and in language. Can you accomplish it? Absolutely. Will it be easy? Probably easier than trying to find a way around it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sidney Vianna Medical Device News International exposé of the harm caused by poorly tested medical devices. Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 12
H Most Poorly Written FDA Warning Letter Ever? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
apestate Poorly Defined Product Requirements - ISO 9001:2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
apestate Integrity in reporting, and Poorly defined Tolerances and Requirements Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
J Poorly Phrased Questions Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 15
L Changes in Revised Document are not Highlighted and Communicated ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S How to show that policies are properly communicated & Training Effectiveness ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Company and group targets and goals not communicated IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Responsibility / Authority not Defined / Communicated - Clause 5.5.1 - NCR No: 4 General Auditing Discussions 9
S Looking for Quality Content to Build Medical Device Curriculum - Concept to Commercialization Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
M Quality Metrics Questions Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
F Quality manual for trading company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
John Broomfield Informational Terms used in quality management [Deleted] Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
D Imaging/Image Quality Standards Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
D Quality Team Structure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
V Quality Objectives - ISO 9001 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
E Best way to keep up with pharmaceutical quality knowledge and current affairs Service Industry Specific Topics 1
C Quality assurance in Pharmacovigilance Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
I Quality Policy and Objectives examples Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 4
Miner Quality checks of product QR codes FMEA and Control Plans 2
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
M Operational (free) simulation games for manufacturing and quality Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
I Help: QFD House of Quality Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
F Risk for Quality Assurance Department in a Hospital - Hospital Incident Reporting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
I New to LEAN but not to Quality - How to run Kaizen events Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
T Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S SOP for ISO 13485:2016 Quality related Software validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
S Cost of Poor Quality (CoPQ) - Scrap element of calculation includes lost margin? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
S Quality manager considering data science Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 19
M Specific Values of Quality Objectives Benchmarking 6
J How to make Quality Control plans Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
P VDA AIAG FMEA - Slides for Quality Audience FMEA and Control Plans 4
T Question about Quality Department employee position titles Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
C Quality Manager vs Warranty (service) Manager - Authorities & Responsibilities Customer Complaints 2
S Proposed Quality Improvement - Thoughts? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
K A proposal for the model Quality Management - I need help for the project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
was named killer CLOUD BASED QUALITY DOCUMENTATION vs. SERVER BASED Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M MDR requires the NB to perform "tests in order to check that the quality management system" EU Medical Device Regulations 3
W Air Quality Measurement Hardware and Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
B Seven Basic Quality Tools (January 23) [Paid] Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
Q Quality Objectives Not Met - Resources promised by investors ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
E Resources for Planning for top quality Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 6
V What plans have been put in place to achieve quality objectives? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B Include cost of quality (and other wastes) in an ISO 9001 system? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R CQA Primer by the Quality Council of Indiana ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Objectives in Quality Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
B Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) A Key Process of the Quality Management System Dec 17... Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
I Good resources for learning statistics (quality engineering related) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
B What is the role of Quality Engineer in APQP and PPAP APQP and PPAP 3
A Supplier Quality Standard vs Senior Management Direction Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2