NCM (Non-Conforming Materials) Procedure questions

C

cab886

I new to quality (formally metrology) and I have been tasked with bringing our start-up into ISO 9001:2008 certification from scratch. Right now I am struggling with the Control of nonconforming product procedure (8.3).

My company creates 1x1mm optical filters and we get 1000 parts per run and ship about 20,000 parts a month. Most of our runs we have under a 5% NCM rate. We track each of the different failure modes and issue CAR's on any single failure mode over 5%.

Right now we tag and segregate the NCM, but all of the parts are filed away (as NCM) with the justification that it could work for another customer in the future. My issue is that we were just blasted by successive Customer Audits because we keep all of our NCM parts. One customer issued a Corrective Action because the NCM were in drawers (not "secured"), and the other because NCM was "overloaded". But with

I have a few questions:
  • Can we keep parts in NCM (theoretically) forever?
  • Do we need to issue a CAR on every failed piece? or is our 5% rule sufficient?
  • Does our NCM area need to be locked? or is segregation and labeling enough?

Thank you for your help.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
I new to quality (formally metrology) and I have been tasked with bringing our start-up into ISO 9001:2008 certification from scratch. Right now I am struggling with the Control of nonconforming product procedure (8.3).

My company creates 1x1mm optical filters and we get 1000 parts per run and ship about 20,000 parts a month. Most of our runs we have under a 5% NCM rate. We track each of the different failure modes and issue CAR's on any single failure mode over 5%.

Right now we tag and segregate the NCM, but all of the parts are filed away (as NCM) with the justification that it could work for another customer in the future. My issue is that we were just blasted by successive Customer Audits because we keep all of our NCM parts. One customer issued a Corrective Action because the NCM were in drawers (not "secured"), and the other because NCM was "overloaded". But with

I have a few questions:
  • Do we need to issue a CAR on every failed piece? or is our 5% rule sufficient?

Thank you for your help.
cab,

Your customer is worried that they may receive some of those nonconforming filters and your segregation arrangements did not inspire confidence.

Do customers exist for the nonconforming filters? What types of nonconformity are they prepared to accept? Do the filters in the nonconforming batches each share exactly the same type of nonconformity?

And what about conformity to your own standards to build and protect your reputation?

In short, it seems to me, your retained stock of batches of nonconforming filters represents a sloppy attitude to quality.

And it seems to me that your 5% rule would allow the release of nonconforming filters. How much does this cost your organization?

As you draft your quality policy I doubt it will sanction anything less than delivering filters known to conform to your standards or your customer's requirements; whichever is highest.

John

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted Information Resource

I have a few questions:

Thank you for your help.
None of your question perhaps has a straight forward answer. They only have Decisions that is bound by one of the so-called principles of ISO 9001 - Factual approach to Decision Making. Does keeping parts forever has implication on achieving your Business targets? And so is the case with 5% failed pieces and NCM area without lock? The answers to your original questions lie there in analyzing data to answer the follow-up questions.

S

sitapaty

The 5%NCW should move into a non moving store or enclosure.If the NCW is not used for too long,some business sense should be applied to dispose off the same.

M

MichelleMcR

Right now we tag and segregate the NCM, but all of the parts are filed away (as NCM) with the justification that it could work for another customer in the future.
Are your NCMs only due to a measurement that falls outside of the acceptable window?

If so, I would record it as an NCM for the specific manufacturing set-up, and follow all of your NCM procedures. If you then think it could be used in the future for another customer, you could write a process that would allow the NCM to be absorbed into stock as long as accurate measurements are recorded and there is some indicator of the fact that the part was not originally intended to measure its current size.

You may also need to ensure that the customer is aware of the original status of the filter and formulate an acceptance process in order to satisfy 8.3.b, but others may have more experience with such a requirement/procedure.

The 5%NCW should move into a non moving store or enclosure.If the NCW is not used for too long,some business sense should be applied to dispose off the same.
It's not required to lock stuff up! What should happen is Non-conforming product should be dispositioned promptly so it doesn't require storage in anything but the usual place (if it's going to be "use as is". This idea of keeping it around until someone finds a home for it (under lock and key) is an old fashioned practice.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J NCM (Nonconforming Material) Situation.. Then What? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
N Nonconforming Material (NCM) Control in very Small Manufacturing Companies ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Does anyone have a good example of a NCM (Nonconforming Material) procedure? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
S Control of NCM: segregation strategies QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
F Using non-randomized clinical study for change in existing 510(k) device? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
L Non Applicability of Clauses in ISO13485 for Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
B Transport Validation For Non-sterile Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
W Posting Non-Quality System instructions on the Production Floor Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
T Justification of use of non-harmonized standards for MDR conformity Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
L Saudi regulations for Japanese non sterile scopes Japan Medical Device Regulations 0
D Is a lost calibrated tool an non-conformance for an audit? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 58
B Leadership non-conformity, Top Management's involvement in Problem Solving IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
malasuerte Performance of ISO 9001 certified vs. non-certified manufacturing companies ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
cgaro62 Does FDA apply to a non-medical 13485 certified custom manufacturing company? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
K Non-Device MDDS Clarifications (FDA) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
S Non-approved supplier? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
R FMEA's for non-manufacturing sites FMEA and Control Plans 4
D Shelf life of non sterile class IIb product. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
ChrisM Class 1 non-sterile device, need certified QMS or not? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N Non-dairy Creamer US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
G Shipping Validation of Non-Sterile Parts? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 9
Edward Reesor Class I non-sterile "Shelf Life" labeling (EU/UK) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
E Comparing process parameters on non-normal batches Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
A QMS inside a Non medical device firm ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Non-Conforming Work ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
JoCam Non CE marked device for customer review Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
D RESPONSE TO NON-CONFORMITIES IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
B Software as a NON-medical device Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 23
M Is this situation Non-Conformity??? General Auditing Discussions 8
D AS9100 Rev D - Clause 8.7 Control of Non conforming outputs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
M Non conformance/complaint and CAPA ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
F Product classification according to the 60601-2-57: Particular requirements [...] of non-laser light sources [...] IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
Q API Spec Q1 9th Ed 4.4.2 Non-conformance Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 8
T Do I need to add non-product related service providers to my ASL? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
J ISO 13485- 8.3.1 Non-conforming material high volume ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
F MSA for non-contact CMM - ISO10360 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
M Using a Non Certified vendor Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
somashekar Justification for Non-applicable clause at Stage 2, in clause 4. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
Z Swiss Authorized representative & non-medical device regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
R Lead auditor scenario (Need help) is this non conforming to ISO13485 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
D Help Me. Non conformitty in External Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
S Electronic Signatures - Non-Conformance - ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 36
S Do you follow your QMS for non-device software features? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
J Can we register non-device clinical decision support software under draft guidance? Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
D IATF 16949 SI 10, External non-accredited lab IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Selling non-CE marked devices for evaluation EU Medical Device Regulations 4
T Non API products need to comply to API Q1? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
L "Shelf-Life" Class I Non-Sterile Products Expiration Date? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
B Process / Procedure - Radiographic (X-Ray) Non-Film Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
N How to find column number for the last non-empty column? Using Minitab Software 0