NCP (Nonconforming Product) Containment - 3 Levels?

Fender1

Involved In Discussions
I’m helping my employer develop quality system to meet 9001:2008 and currently working on documenting our procedure for controlling nonconforming product. We are a weld/fab/assembly provider. Yesterday, while discussing procedure draft with our new plant manager (who comes from auto Ind.,) he stated that we should include definition/criteria for the 3 levels of containment. He mentioned action related to; Level 1=NCP found prior to shipment, level 2=NCP shipped but not installed/in-service, and level 3=NCP in-use/with end user.

So far my research revealed only info that speaks of supplier rating/conduct/ordering requirements, or where levels 1 and 2 is planned production start-ups scrap or planned specific failure, and level 3 involves 3-party action/containment service. Not what I'm looking for.

Do any of you have experience/criteria for 3 levels of NCP containment similar as mentioned above by my plant manager?

S

silentrunning

Re: NCP (Nonconformaing Product) Containment - 3 Levels?

Fender, your second paragraph has completely confused me. Could you please clarify what you mean?

Fender1

Involved In Discussions

When our plant manager mentioned 3 levels of containment, I didn’t understand or ask for more detail, assuming it was a practice common to auto related companies, and that I would find something on the internet that would describe the 3 levels.

Do I have my head stuck somewhere dark again… or is 3 levels of containment not common? Please turn light on. :confused:

somashekar

Leader
Admin

I’m helping my employer develop quality system to meet 9001:2008 and currently working on documenting our procedure for controlling nonconforming product. We are a weld/fab/assembly provider. Yesterday, while discussing procedure draft with our new plant manager (who comes from auto Ind.,) he stated that we should include definition/criteria for the 3 levels of containment. He mentioned action related to; Level 1=NCP found prior to shipment, level 2=NCP shipped but not installed/in-service, and level 3=NCP in-use/with end user.

So far my research revealed only info that speaks of supplier rating/conduct/ordering requirements, or where levels 1 and 2 is planned production start-ups scrap or planned specific failure, and level 3 involves 3-party action/containment service. Not what I'm looking for.

Do any of you have experience/criteria for 3 levels of NCP containment similar as mentioned above by my plant manager?
The ways to deal with NCP is clearly stated in the clause 8.3...
a) by taking action to eliminate the detected nonconformity;
b) by authorizing its use, release or acceptance under concession by a relevant authority and, where applicable, by the customer;
c) by taking action to preclude its original intended use or application;
d) by taking action appropriate to the effects, or potential effects, of the nonconformity when nonconforming product is detected after delivery or use has started.

The levels mentioned by you are a subset within any of these.

Top Bottom