Need advice in streamlining antiquated 21 CFR 820 compliant QMS

D

DrMarioQAMD

Hello All,

I am looking to perhaps receive some advice regarding 21 CFR 820 compliance and developing. The company I recently started working for is registered with the FDA and our quality system while it is sufficient in meeting regulatory standards is antiquated. It was developed in the early 80's and as the company has grown, additions have been made to comply with areas we're deficient. 30+ years later, we are still compliant but now are in possession of a QMS that's all over the place and bulky. It DOES serve its purpose, but I'm looking to streamline it to set us up for the future, which may include ISO certification and future 510k submissions.
At this point I realize that gap analysis from a 3rd party auditor will tell us where we're deficient, not help guide us in hitting the "reset" button. Any advice on how we can go about starting this huge undertaking? Would a template QMS help out by picking from our system and reclassifying to this? Maybe a service we can look into to help us along with this? Any help and advise will be greatly appreciated!

:thanx:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
Here's my suggestion (basically just a simplified description of generic change-controls):

First: is there a problem that actually needs fixing? Sure, an overly "bulky" system is undesirable, but is the present "bulkiness" of the system actually creating problems, or lending itself to potential problems? Doing a system overhaul is a big undertaking...be sure you've weighed the cost/benefits, and that management is on board.

Second: Create a plan. Document what's being changed and why. Include a impact/risk assessment of potential effects of "streamlining" (which presumably means removal/modifications to current controls), and gap analysis of how modified processes deviate from current practices (and hence what kind of (re)training will be required, and how current practices will be affected).

Third: Develop drafts of new docs, and demonstrate that these new documents continue to meet your Quality System requirements (21 CFR 820, ISO...), and do not conflict with other established documents.

Fourth: Implement new docs & retrain as necessary.

Depending on how your current system is structured, it may be simplest to tackle individual processes one-at-a-time, rather than the entire system at once.

Bottom Line: Go through your change control, which should include documented consideration and evidence that whatever changes you make meet your quality system requirements and don't adversely affect product or the rest of the system.

Good luck!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E 13485:2016, Sections 4.1.6, 7.5.6 and 7.6 - Validation of Software - Need some Advice please ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R Pls help --- Need expert advice on Video Measurement Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 0
C Advice on becoming a AS9100 Auditor - Need to audit organizations that are Design Responsible AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
T Establishing -F- datum - need advice Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
J New position and AS9100 audit is 1 month away- need advice AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
D I need the advice/opinion from a J-STD expert Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Need MSA %GRR Interpretation Advice Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Need help/advice on video editing software etc..... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
B I need good advice to give a single mom searching for answers Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 13
M New QMR (Quality Management Representative) in need of advice ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
E Selection of study program in Europe - Need keywords to speciality or advice Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
J New to Internal Auditing - Need help and advice Internal Auditing 5
GStough Need Advice: Regulatory Requirements Audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Crusader Hosting Japanese Business Visitors - Need the Cove members advice / opinion Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 43
J Need Advice on Supplier Performance Rating System Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
I Wavetek 9100 - Measurement Failure in Oscilloscope Section. Need Help & Advice. Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
M Need advice to implement CAPP (Computer Aided Process Planning) change. Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
L Big Shipping Error - Shipped without the CE mark on them - Need advice! CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
S TS 16949 Stage 2 Audit Preparedness - Need Advice General Auditing Discussions 5
C Controlled EC's - Need some advice on my current Engineering Change process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Need career advice! Where can I find affordable training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 9
M Metal forming - Brake presses - Need error-proofing advice Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
P Writing a general procedure for CMM programming - Need advice Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 22
A 4.2.3 Control of Documents - Need advice on Control of External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
G Supplier audit of ETO Sterilization Lab - Need a checklist or advice Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
Q In Need of Safety Advice - Design and build of a safety program Design and Development of Products and Processes 22
M Who is our customer? Need advice please! IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D 5S Project Implementation: Need advice about getting employees involved Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 27
M Changing to Work Cell Audits - Need Advice General Auditing Discussions 7
L Beginning SPC data collection: Metal Stamping Company - Need some advice Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
ccochran Need advice -- problem solving workshop Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 25
C Need advice on the competency requirements of Laboratory Personel IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
H Printing Company - Need advice for training courses in the quality control arena Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
Q Developing new web-based quality system and need advice Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
L Choosing a Registrar - Need registrar selection advice Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
M Need Advice About Proving the Value of ASQ Certification Professional Certifications and Degrees 8
Y Quality Assurance Software to manage ISO 9001 - Need advice Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 10
J Self-Certication - Distributing Steel - 3 People - Need advice Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
S Laboratory Scope - Need some advice regarding our Laboratory Scope QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 9
C ISO 13485 :2016 - CAPA - Does every CAPA need to be checked by regulations? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
L Proof of Concept Studies - Do we need to comply with SAE reporting? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
gunnyshore Adding a new facility - do I need to submit an amendment to the MDL or MDEL, or both? Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
N FDA UDI - Label vs. Labeling - Does the insert need to include UDI? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
A Demonstration of Equivalence - Need for comparing biological characteristics for an SamD EU Medical Device Regulations 1
G Need to change KPI we called NC parts (maximum 3%.) to FTQ (first time quality) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
W Need for current design or process control FMEA and Control Plans 2
L Turkish Requirements - Does the Software need to be translated? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
J Need for a cleanroom in the manufacture of a medical device for a clinical trial EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Need help with analysing a survey on minitab Using Minitab Software 1