Need Advice on Supplier Performance Rating System

JJLit

Starting to get Involved
First off a little background on myself and my company. I am the Quality Manager for a small medical device company. We are ISO 13485 compliant and have successfully passed ISO and FDA audits.

One of the areas in our Quality System that I think is weak is our Supplier Performance Ratings system. Its a system that predates my employment and to be honest with you it isn't very logical. I have read quite a bit about using a PPM type system but haven't found anything that could be used as a guideline in setting up a system from scratch. The parts that we receive are not in the millions by any means. They are in the tens and hundreds on a per month basis. We have about 10 to 15 vendors that I would like to monitor. So extrapolating out to millions doesn't feel right to me.

Any advice as to where I can look or does anyone have a system in place that would fit a company of the kinds of volumes that I am talking about?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator
First off a little background on myself and my company. I am the Quality Manager for a small medical device company. We are ISO 13485 compliant and have successfully passed ISO and FDA audits.

One of the areas in our Quality System that I think is weak is our Supplier Performance Ratings system. Its a system that predates my employment and to be honest with you it isn't very logical. I have read quite a bit about using a PPM type system but haven't found anything that could be used as a guideline in setting up a system from scratch. The parts that we receive are not in the millions by any means. They are in the tens and hundreds on a per month basis. We have about 10 to 15 vendors that I would like to monitor. So extrapolating out to millions doesn't feel right to me.

Any advice as to where I can look or does anyone have a system in place that would fit a company of the kinds of volumes that I am talking about?

There are a lot of replies and discussions here that have already been answered/asked see if any of them help.

Have you tried the Search Function yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
W

world quality

JJLIT,

Please contact me either by phone or email for a copy of supplier Score Card and Supplier Monthly Review.

My phone number and public email address are in my profile in the 'About Me' tab.

Please contact anytime next week.I will bein the office.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Duke Okes

PPM isn't dependent on lot size but on defect rate. If suppliers have a very low defect rate expressing it in % involves too many decimal places and a number the average person can't relate to (e.g., .01%), so converting it to PPM (.01% = 100 PPM) makes it more readily understandable, and the ability to detect shifts is easier in ones mind (e.g., a 50% reduction would take it to 50 PPM, which is easier to talk about than .005%).

Create a system that measures/evaluates what you believe is important ... what impacts performance to the customer, internal efficiencies,etc.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions

A supplier performance "rating" system is simply a logical consideration of the factors of dealing with a supplier which ARE IMPORTANT to the organization. Some factors which MAY be important in your situation could include

1. on-time delivery
  2. proper labeling
  3. response time for queries
  4. "transparency" of supplier's inspection process to mesh easily with your own
  5. number of successive shipments with ZERO nonconformances for any reason (product quality, delivery time, packaging, labeling)

I agree - talking about parts per million when the total usage for one year is far less than a million is just plain silly, BUT perhaps, in your case, the "can do" attitude of a supplier to assure ZERO nonconformances reach you is much more important than the actual number. The ultimate criterion is whether or not a combination of prevention and detection between you and your supplier assures ZERO nonconforming products reach a patient.

:topic:The phrases "successfully passed ISO and FDA audits" and "We are ISO 13485 compliant" do not jibe unless you are currently registered to something like ISO 9001:2000 and additionally declaring your organization to be ISO 13485 compliant.

Most medical device manufacturers seek formal registration (not mere compliance) to ISO 13485 to take advantage of the international "harmonization" to sell their products in countries other than the USA.

JJLit

Starting to get Involved
Most medical device manufacturers seek formal registration (not mere compliance) to ISO 13485 to take advantage of the international "harmonization" to sell their products in countries other than the USA.
Thanks for the responses. I will try to do a more thorough search here for other tips and advice. I was hoping that maybe I could find a "template" for a supplier rating system. But as others have said here, there are many factors for evaluating a supplier. And they will probably be unique to a particular business. I was looking for something that I thought would be more "generally accepted" than something that was home grown, like I have now.

One thing I would like to clarify from the above quote. We are registered as an ISO 13485 business and also registered with the FDA. My use of the word "compliant" was definitely misleading.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator
Thanks for the responses. I will try to do a more thorough search here for other tips and advice. I was hoping that maybe I could find a "template" for a supplier rating system. But as others have said here, there are many factors for evaluating a supplier. And they will probably be unique to a particular business. I was looking for something that I thought would be more "generally accepted" than something that was home grown, like I have now.

One thing I would like to clarify from the above quote. We are registered as an ISO 13485 business and also registered with the FDA. My use of the word "compliant" was definitely misleading.
I checked the Post Attachments List (upper left corner) and I found this Supplier Rating Card.

There are a few more there, so if this doesn't work for you there are others.

Attachments

harry

Super Moderator
And they will probably be unique to a particular business. I was looking for something that I thought would be more "generally accepted" than something that was home grown, like I have now.
I don't encourage you to copy from others but a look at some samples would give you a much better idea.

Search by using 'rating' as optional keyword in our post attachments list.

M

Murphys Law

I've worked with many customer scorecards and company induced questionnaires. This is what I see as good practice:-

- Product quality : How do they meet Dppm targets. (Production, early life failures, Premature wearout). In your industry, rate it to severity to customer.

- Service quality : responsiveness and the quality of the response.

- New product development : How well the suppliers new products meet your companies requirements. If you are buying commodity products, this may not too much but I would imagine there are some customers who are strategic to you.

- Technology : Linked to above but how well their products really meet you needs. Above is execution.

- Pricing: Does the pricing meet your companies needs vs. their competitors.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Supplier audit of ETO Sterilization Lab - Need a checklist or advice Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
R Pls help --- Need expert advice on Video Measurement Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 0
C Advice on becoming a AS9100 Auditor - Need to audit organizations that are Design Responsible AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 12
T Establishing -F- datum - need advice Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
J New position and AS9100 audit is 1 month away- need advice AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
D Need advice in streamlining antiquated 21 CFR 820 compliant QMS Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
D I need the advice/opinion from a J-STD expert Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Need MSA %GRR Interpretation Advice Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Need help/advice on video editing software etc..... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
B I need good advice to give a single mom searching for answers Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 13
M New QMR (Quality Management Representative) in need of advice ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
E Selection of study program in Europe - Need keywords to speciality or advice Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
J New to Internal Auditing - Need help and advice Internal Auditing 5
GStough Need Advice: Regulatory Requirements Audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Crusader Hosting Japanese Business Visitors - Need the Cove members advice / opinion Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 43
I Wavetek 9100 - Measurement Failure in Oscilloscope Section. Need Help & Advice. Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
M Need advice to implement CAPP (Computer Aided Process Planning) change. Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
L Big Shipping Error - Shipped without the CE mark on them - Need advice! CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
S TS 16949 Stage 2 Audit Preparedness - Need Advice General Auditing Discussions 5
C Controlled EC's - Need some advice on my current Engineering Change process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Need career advice! Where can I find affordable training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 9
M Metal forming - Brake presses - Need error-proofing advice Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
P Writing a general procedure for CMM programming - Need advice Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 22
A 4.2.3 Control of Documents - Need advice on Control of External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Q In Need of Safety Advice - Design and build of a safety program Design and Development of Products and Processes 22
M Who is our customer? Need advice please! IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D 5S Project Implementation: Need advice about getting employees involved Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 27
M Changing to Work Cell Audits - Need Advice General Auditing Discussions 7
L Beginning SPC data collection: Metal Stamping Company - Need some advice Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
ccochran Need advice -- problem solving workshop Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 25
C Need advice on the competency requirements of Laboratory Personel IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
H Printing Company - Need advice for training courses in the quality control arena Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
Q Developing new web-based quality system and need advice Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
L Choosing a Registrar - Need registrar selection advice Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
M Need Advice About Proving the Value of ASQ Certification Professional Certifications and Degrees 8
Y Quality Assurance Software to manage ISO 9001 - Need advice Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 10
J Self-Certication - Distributing Steel - 3 People - Need advice Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
S Laboratory Scope - Need some advice regarding our Laboratory Scope QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 9
W Need for current design or process control FMEA and Control Plans 1
L Turkish Requirements - Does the Software need to be translated? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
J Need for a cleanroom in the manufacture of a medical device for a clinical trial EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Need help with analysing a survey on minitab Using Minitab Software 1
M IATF 16949 8.5.1.3 Verification of job set-ups - Do we need secondary check? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
P Electrosurgical Device User Need: Cord Flexibility -> Requirement Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
P Do I need to get registered or have German entity to sell IVD products in Germany? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
J Documentation structure - Do I need Work Instructions? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 23
G Need resources / tutorials about OPS (Operation) for ISO IT (Information Technology) Service Management 8
D Do non-IATF customers need to be included in audit scope? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
M Do you need an Applicable general safety and performance requirements Checklist? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Y Does Solidworks (2D/3D drafting modules) need validation? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5