Need Change Control Yes/No Decision Tree Template

I'm trying to put together a decision tree with yes/no's that lead to the correct decision with change control whether an employee should take the route of opening a change order for a validation or submit a simple document change request. They need to be very simple direct questions where there is no room for interpretation. Can you recommend a good template, resource or website to go to? My company is looking for a decision tree. Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Does the change effect the sequence, timing, methods or other elements of the manufacturing or testing process? Yes - validate. No - second question: Does the change alter the product or the materials that go into the product in any way? Yes - Validate. No - change order.

Now some will say that is too restrictive. But it is simple and meets your needs to restrict interpretation and thought.

The fundamental requirement for validation is not really the intended effect but the unintended effect. Too many people step right over that. I’ve seen many engineers and scientists spend more time rationalizing why they don’t need to validate than it would have taken to just do the testing. ~9 of 10 times nothing bad happens - but when that one time does occur it takes more time, money and negative customer experience than all of the 9 times saved. By far. IF you have really well fully characterized processes and designs simple first article type testing is all that is required. BUT that is a rare state.

Let me give an example. Just this year a resin supplier decided to remove the wax from its resin in order to save money. The plastic injection molders did test the resin to ensure that it didn’t effect processing. BUT many users of the many different molded parts didn’t validate the parts in their systems. Because really what could possibly go wrong? Well we did validate one of our parts and it stuck upon insertion. Couldn’t insert the part at all. Oops. The removal of the wax altered the surface properties of the molded part in a way that wasn’t tested. But the results were catastrophic. We recently discovered another part that was ‘off the shelf’ and it too sticks in use, rendering it useless. Validate. Always validate.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Do we need to enclose Draft version of Proposed Changes in Change Control US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
J If you change the Control Plan do you need to resubmit PPAP APQP and PPAP 13
R Do we need issue ECN (Engineering Change Notice) towards updated Material Specification? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
D Change Approval Requirements - Does every change need formal customer approval? Design and Development of Products and Processes 17
G Need to change KPI we called NC parts (maximum 3%.) to FTQ (first time quality) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
T Need help developing an ECO (Engineering Change order) procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
V Do I need dimensionals performed for PPAP for every revision change? APQP and PPAP 2
V Note Change to Print - Do I need dimensions results? APQP and PPAP 1
K Need help with AS9100 Scope Change to include Manufacturing Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
E Change in the Expiration Date (from 24-36 months) - Need 510(k) changes? Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
G Change of procedure for handling new projects - do the ongoing ones need to follow? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
W Need to reconduct MSA when there is a change in operators? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
L I need help with containment practices - First off/coil change containment Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
M Need advice to implement CAPP (Computer Aided Process Planning) change. Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
J Change Management System - Does ISO 9001 specify you need a process flow? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
K Culture Shock and Things Need to Change - Implementing ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
S Need to change multi-site TS 16949 certification to add another company Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
S Need assistance on how to generate Change Notices for Vendors and tracking APQP and PPAP 0
C Controlled EC's - Need some advice on my current Engineering Change process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D Need to get ISO recertified for a site change, but just near to the original site? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Do I need to change my SOPs? Transitioning to ISO 9001:2000 from the 1994 version ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
G Change History: What Documents Need a History? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 34
E Procedure Numbering Change? Still the need for maintaining Level 1, 2, 3, documents? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
K Change the way we need to document our work - Copies of requirements? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
B PPAP and the need to re-submit - Engineering change to a single component part QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
E Do I need test reports for all standards mentioned in my 510k application? Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
J Japan registration need manual without temperature reading Japan Medical Device Regulations 0
Ashland78 Need IATF 16949 ISO Gap Analysis Excel File Internal Auditing 3
R Need for an Importer outside EU? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
T Do I need to add non-product related service providers to my ASL? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
K Need Help With Auditing Suppliers Against ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 50
A Need career advice on QMS & HSE (No hands on experience) Career and Occupation Discussions 6
B Need assistance with documents CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
R Lead auditor scenario (Need help) is this non conforming to ISO13485 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Ashland78 Need to show evidence in accordance with QR-11012 and SPB-00001-09 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
E Does IVD need to integrate with hospital IT infrastructure? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
U Need Help With API Q2 Quality Manual Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 8
S In Need of GIDEP Guidance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Do employee training records need to be controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D What evidence to I need to supply as a remote location in relation to manufacturing sites? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
T Non API products need to comply to API Q1? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
G Need journal and reference of abnormal bar chart SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
MSeibert47 Daily Quality Topics - Need Ideas Please! Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 18
W Do Reference materials for IATF need to be 17025? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
D Need some Help on 8D fault tree analysis Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 6
A Need to calculate tolerance Intervals with a set of non-normal data and 3-Parameter Weibull distribution Using Minitab Software 0
Melissa Risk Management Process, How far do I need to go? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 13
F Need Quality Manager advice. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
T Do we need an SOP for ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
B Do CTQs need to be equipment specific? FMEA and Control Plans 8