Need clarification on UKCA and "Approved Body"

Steve_in_MT

Starting to get Involved
Thanks in advance for any help--I'm confused on exactly what is meant by getting a certificate from a UK "Approved Body" prior to applying the UKCA mark to a Class IIa medical device. Does that mean we need to use an entirely separate Notified Body that is based in the UK, and what exactly will they do? Will the perform an onsite audit (separate from the ISO/CE one)? Or would they do a Tech File review? And is an Approved Body the same as a Notified Body, but just the name for those in the UK?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Steve_in_MT

Starting to get Involved
Thanks John--that's better than the other documents I've seen (one of which talked more about how it's okay to keep using the CE mark until the deadline). And maybe the details haven't been worked out, but HOW does one get the certificate--I see the choices for assessment routes, but what is involved (and I'm assuming it's the manufacturer and not the UK distributor/importer that needs to do it)? Are documents submitted to the Approved Body or is an on-site audit needed?

Philip B

Quite Involved in Discussions
Steve - do you have a current MDD certificate with an EU NB that is also a UK AB? If so, obtaining a UKCA mark is relatively straightforward, as UKCA is based on the MDD not the MDR and providing you are up to date with your MDD audits and tech file reviews and have no major NCs outstanding then the process should be a desk review and not require any auditing (that's been the case with us anyway). If you are not currently with a UK AB then you might have to go through full conformity assessment with one. Best to contact the UK ABs (I think there are only three) and see what they say.

This pdf based on a webinar from the BSI may be helpful:

*https://www.swiss-medtech.ch*/sites/default/files/2021-06/Presentation%20by%20Maddalena%20Pinsi%20and%20Jayanth%20Katta.pdf

Further on from what Philip B has stated, does this refer to BSI 2797? I am drafting a DoC for the UK CA marking and have put BSI 0086 as the NB (as I was assuming this is the correct one) but I was told that BSI 2797 can do this. Has anyone seen this being the case? I find it quite confusing as they are not UK based. I have also been told to refer to the MDD in the draft, even though the UK and CE DoC are separate (though I know that for the interim, MDD can be the basis for conformity in the UK up until 1st Jan 2023)- I was drafting the DoC to mention only UK MDR and associated standards.

I would be grateful if anyone else has any thoughts on this

Philip B

Quite Involved in Discussions
2797 is the designation for BSi as an EU notified body. 0086 is the designation for BSi as a UK approved body. You obtain the CE mark via 2797 and the UKCA mark via 0086. Our UKCA DoC refers to the Medical Devices Regulation 2002 (UK MDR 2002) as the underpinning legislation but to Annex V of MDD 93/42/EEC for the conformity assessment route. This has been accepted by our AB.

Steve_in_MT

Starting to get Involved
Thanks Philip. Unfortunately our NB is not one of the UK ABs, but I will check to see if maybe they are planning to do so. It would be hard to justify having a separate conformity assessment if it had to be done on-site. As you suggest, I can also check with the ones that are UK ABs and see what they say. Thanks!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Need clarification on requirements.... Class i, gmp & 510(k) exempt Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 12
Crusader Need for CE Mark - Clarification please CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
M TS 16949 Clause 7.6.3.1 - Internal Laboratory - need clarification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M ISO/TS 16949 Cl 7.5.1 a) - Characteristics of the Product - Need Clarification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Safety Policy - Breakdown into Parts (need clarification) Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 13
B ISO 9001 Clause 7.4.2 Purchasing Information - Need clarification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
L Stage One Audit vs. Document Review - TS16949 - Need clarification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B Whose waste carrier licence do I need? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
I I need some fun examples of teaching the 5 Whys Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 43
R First Time Managing Calibration and Measurement System. Need Help. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
M CE marked medical device - do they need UKAS certified calibration provider ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
C I need some clearing on requirements of Asuring the validity of results ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
C Need help in determining applicable clause for an audit finding (based on AS9120B) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K Subcontractors Providing Services Under MDD or MDR need ISO 13485 from EU Notified Body? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
E Need some peer advice Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
S What types of changes need to be notified to NBs? Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
B Do I need a Cleanroom to manufacture Medical Devices? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J CMO in Canada do they need MDSAP/13485 certification? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Attempting to Poke Yoke a wire crimping process...need help Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
C I need your help to find the action plan for these quality objectives Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 23
ChrisM Class 1 non-sterile device, need certified QMS or not? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Steve Prevette I need a template to solve world hunger, a world class Quality Program, and make lots of money Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
C Need to understand difference between an actual Calibration vs. a Calibration check General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S How many tester quantity we need on the line based on the cycle time and peak volume Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
R Need help on calibration result analysis Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 17
M Do i need to have equipment validation if 100% testing is completed? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
G Need Help with Run @ Rate for Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
F Need help in IMS management review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 3
S I need help in corrective action plan Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
A Do clinical performance studies for IVDs need to be conducted in a member state? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Do clinical performance studies for IVDs need to be conducted in a member state? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
D Weird spec sheet - need help Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
E Do I need test reports for all standards mentioned in my 510k application? Other Medical Device Related Standards 8
J Japan registration need manual without temperature reading Japan Medical Device Regulations 0
Ashland78 Need IATF 16949 ISO Gap Analysis Excel File Internal Auditing 3
R Need for an Importer outside EU? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
T Do I need to add non-product related service providers to my ASL? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
K Need Help With Auditing Suppliers Against ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 50
A Need career advice on QMS & HSE (No hands on experience) Career and Occupation Discussions 6
B Need assistance with documents CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
R Lead auditor scenario (Need help) is this non conforming to ISO13485 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Ashland78 Need to show evidence in accordance with QR-11012 and SPB-00001-09 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
E Does IVD need to integrate with hospital IT infrastructure? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
U Need Help With API Q2 Quality Manual Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 8
S In Need of GIDEP Guidance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Do employee training records need to be controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D What evidence do I need to supply as a remote location in relation to manufacturing sites? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
T Non API products need to comply to API Q1? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
G Need journal and reference of abnormal bar chart SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
MSeibert47 Daily Quality Topics - Need Ideas Please! Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 18