Need Example of Metrics for Internal Audit Process.

A

Ace

Need help from the experts. I have been tasked to compile 4 panel metrics for the internal audit process. Any examples would be appreciated. :D

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
No examples to share, but some possible metrics are:
Audit completion to schedule, findings per items audited, pareto of findings by process, time to correct audit findings. There are many other possibilities.

Last edited:

AndyN

Moved On
Why measure audits??????????

Ace said:
Need help from the experts. I have been tasked to compile 4 panel metrics for the internal audit process. Any examples would be appreciated. :D

Hello:
There are other threads here about this topic. We have debated this previously and, for my part, there are no reliable metrics for internal audit. You may have noticed that IA is in the 'Measurement' section of ISO 9001, not a process that needs to be measured. Is this four panel a customer requirement? Ford do this kind of thing under Q1/QOS requirements. I've done it, it doesn't work in any meaningful way.
The examples given below above are simply hokey measurements which tell you nothing! Oh! and management don't know what you're talking about anyway................:mg:

Andy

A

Ace

Internal Audit Metrics

Miner, Thank you for the information.

Andy - We are required to produce 4 panels metrics as part of our process based management documentation. We are supposed to measure our process for continuous improvement and present to management every month. I agree that most audit metrics do not have any meaningful use.
I can say that I measure number of scheduled audits vs. completed but I already know that I will be 100% all the time. Responding to CAR's is part of the Corrective Action process so I cannot use that either.

You stated "You may have noticed that IA is in the 'Measurement' section of ISO 9001, not a process that needs to be measured." Are you referring to section 8.2.3?

Thanks for your advice. :agree1:

S

stanislavd

Metrics

One simple metric - number of suggestions maded by the audited person at the end of audit... It is good practice to ask the audited person such questions and two share the gained knowledge. And these suggestions often are related to the audit or to the reviewd process

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Scroll down to the very bottom of this thread and you will see links to other discussions on this very issue.

M

Madfox

Internal audit metrics

I think there's one, and only one, valid metric for internal (first party) audits; findings by 2nd & 3rd party audits! I don't say "# of findings" 'cause very often external audit n/c's are "bogus." (To quote Mr. Jeff Spicolli, senior emeritus, Ridgemont High.) So, look at the validity of the 2/3 party findings.

So what if you're done on time, on schedule, on budget, and the external audits are digging stuff up? It isn't doing its job!

Top Bottom