Need feedback: FMEA Web Application

K

Katsuchiyo

Hi all,

I'm thinking about an idea for a FMEA (Failure Mode Effect Analysis) web application and I wanted your advice. Currently, I found out that current FMEA software tools on the market are complex to use and/or expensive, and people tend to use excel.

Here is my idea: Building a ease to use web application for performing and storing FMEA studies, which is user friendly and cheap.

What do you think of it? Are you currently using FMEA software or not for specific reasons? Would you like to see a ease to use FMEA web application?

Hopefully you can help me out!

Simon

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Welcome Simon!

I am sorry for the delay in this response.

It is hard to know what to advise, as I am comfortable with Excel and its flexibility. Nor have I used the complex programs you describe.

I can offer, however that I have seen people misuse the FMEA by piling in multiple potential failure modes and/or effects; this makes scoring imprecise and confuses the effort to re-evaluate after improvements.

It would also be nice if your app provided the means to make reiterative improvements that allow a user to lower the RPN, and provide simple guidance into how to assign Severity, and what type of improvement would allow them to reduce that number.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
I have used some of the 'fancy' dedicated FMEA software, and have been disappointed/dissatisfied every time. Either its too complex to use, or it doesn't allow ANY flexibility, or it just doesnt give me what I want.

In my opinion, the best all-around tool for doing FMEA analysis is Excel - everyone has it, it's easily customizable (especially if you are good at writing macros), very flexible, and will integrate with your other (Microsoft) software packages seamlessly.

With that being said, I would welcome a new FMEA package - just not quite sure how to articulate what it is that I want to see in it.

I have used some of the 'fancy' dedicated FMEA software, and have been disappointed/dissatisfied every time. Either its too complex to use, or it doesn't allow ANY flexibility, or it just doesnt give me what I want.

In my opinion, the best all-around tool for doing FMEA analysis is Excel - everyone has it, it's easily customizable (especially if you are good at writing macros), very flexible, and will integrate with your other (Microsoft) software packages seamlessly.

With that being said, I would welcome a new FMEA package - just not quite sure how to articulate what it is that I want to see in it.
Ron - In my experience, decades as a Systems Engineer and a certified 6Sigma Master Black Belt, there is no practical way to efficiently manage the Risk Analysis effectively in Excel. You'll make mistakes, and not do well keeping DFMEA's synchronized with PFMEA's (and PFMEA's to Control Plans). "Fancy" software...well, this is an "analysis" isn't it? We use "fancy" software for DOE's, FEA's, CFD models, CAD models...but, for some reason we think that the FMEA doesn't require the same rigor. It's about how we think about the analysis...and then letting the software help us execute that thinking. Excel doesn't generally guide us towards anything more than "ok folks, what can go wrong?" thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Ron - In my experience, decades as a Systems Engineer and a certified 6Sigma Master Black Belt, there is no practical way to efficiently manage the Risk Analysis effectively in Excel. You'll make mistakes, and not do well keeping DFMEA's synchronized with PFMEA's (and PFMEA's to Control Plans). "Fancy" software...well, this is an "analysis" isn't it? We use "fancy" software for DOE's, FEA's, CFD models, CAD models...but, for some reason we think that the FMEA doesn't require the same rigor. It's about how we think about the analysis...and then letting the software help us execute that thinking. Excel doesn't generally guide us towards anything more than "ok folks, what can go wrong?" thinking.
Very valid points, and I can't disagree. I think my biggest caveat is that (so far) I haven't found a software package that will DO a decent job of syncing my documents. That is why I have always fallen back on Excel - yes it has its own flaws, and its NOT as bulletproof as it could be (and requires a LOT of double-checking and verifying), but it does have the advantage of being (relatively) inexpensive, easy to use, and universal.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S GM/VP softgrading internal audit finding - need feedback from an audit guru! General Auditing Discussions 11
S Re-certification examination TS 16949 - Need some feedback about the exam IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
T What do I need to perform a GR&R on a feedback autogage? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
T Improving current Audit Practices-Need feedback Internal Auditing 19
B Need Feedback From IBS CompliantPro Users Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
J I need your opinion / feedback on my process map Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 23
X Need help / feedback on Xbar/R charts and Cpk/Ppk applicability - Assemblies Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
B Whose waste carrier licence do I need? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
I I need some fun examples of teaching the 5 Whys Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 43
R First Time Managing Calibration and Measurement System. Need Help. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
M CE marked medical device - do they need UKAS certified calibration provider ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
C I need some clearing on requirements of Asuring the validity of results ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
C Need help in determining applicable clause for an audit finding (based on AS9120B) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K Subcontractors Providing Services Under MDD or MDR need ISO 13485 from EU Notified Body? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
E Need some peer advice Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
S Need clarification on UKCA and "Approved Body" UK Medical Device Regulations 7
S What types of changes need to be notified to NBs? Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
B Do I need a Cleanroom to manufacture Medical Devices? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J CMO in Canada do they need MDSAP/13485 certification? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Attempting to Poke Yoke a wire crimping process...need help Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
C I need your help to find the action plan for these quality objectives Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 23
ChrisM Class 1 non-sterile device, need certified QMS or not? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Steve Prevette I need a template to solve world hunger, a world class Quality Program, and make lots of money Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
C Need to understand difference between an actual Calibration vs. a Calibration check General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S How many tester quantity we need on the line based on the cycle time and peak volume Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
R Need help on calibration result analysis Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 17
M Do i need to have equipment validation if 100% testing is completed? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
G Need Help with Run @ Rate for Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
F Need help in IMS management review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 3
S I need help in corrective action plan Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
A Do clinical performance studies for IVDs need to be conducted in a member state? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Do clinical performance studies for IVDs need to be conducted in a member state? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
D Weird spec sheet - need help Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
E Do I need test reports for all standards mentioned in my 510k application? Other Medical Device Related Standards 8
J Japan registration need manual without temperature reading Japan Medical Device Regulations 0
Ashland78 Need IATF 16949 ISO Gap Analysis Excel File Internal Auditing 3
R Need for an Importer outside EU? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
T Do I need to add non-product related service providers to my ASL? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
K Need Help With Auditing Suppliers Against ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 50
A Need career advice on QMS & HSE (No hands on experience) Career and Occupation Discussions 6
B Need assistance with documents CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
R Lead auditor scenario (Need help) is this non conforming to ISO13485 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Ashland78 Need to show evidence in accordance with QR-11012 and SPB-00001-09 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
E Does IVD need to integrate with hospital IT infrastructure? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
U Need Help With API Q2 Quality Manual Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 8
S In Need of GIDEP Guidance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Do employee training records need to be controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D What evidence do I need to supply as a remote location in relation to manufacturing sites? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
T Non API products need to comply to API Q1? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
G Need journal and reference of abnormal bar chart SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4