Need Help to Verify an Infrared Cure Oven

Adriane

Involved - Posts
I have a 3 stage IR cure oven that we use to powder coat small, low volume parts. I am being told by the manufacturer/assembler of this oven that there is no way to verify that the percentages that I set each of the three zones in the oven at are actually where they are set (pardon the poor grammar in that sentence - my reassessment is just over a week away :mg: just a lil frazzled) .

Although this is my first audit with this company, we have had a finding on this oven during each of the last 2 audits. Hmmmm, let's see, where do we all think he's headed first on the floor??????? :bonk:

Verification that the parameters are set correctly is performed by doing a cure check on the parts after they are coated. Each color that we coat has specific documented parameters. Even so, aren't we are letting the process control us instead of controlling the process?

Hope this is enough info for all of the Covers to get me started in the right direction on this.

Thanks in advance,
Adriane

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Adriane
Have you investigated light measurement equipment? IR is invisible, but can be measured with photo-sensors. Do you have a output specification? It may be in the format nW/m2 (Watts per square metre)
Paul

P

pabloquintana

We have some UV Ovens. May be different from yours but the manufacturer told us we could use a special equipment that measured amount of watts at a predetermined wavelength per square inch. Some charts are generated. Try contacting your oven manufacturer.

My 2 cents.

Pablo:bigwave:

Adriane

Involved - Posts
Oh merry day!

I will investigate the photosensors.

Output spec? Only that the parts are properly cured. At least I think that is the question that you were asking. EDIT - I'm with you now - the output spec would be expressed as nW/m2. I shall check.

Thanks for the prompt replies - the pressure to get flawlessly through this audit is just about to break me.

Adriane

Last edited:
G

gszekely

I suppose that you use the oven to generate heat (temperature) between certain value. Then why you don't check if you have the temperature requestemd. We have IR oven on one of our painting line. I send a datalogger (datapack) trough the oven at a regular interval, and see if I have the right temperature over the zones. You can measure on part surface, air temps, and so on. Don't try to measure the input, better the output, which I supose to be temperature, or heat.I was never asked by my customer, or auditor, to calibrate the IR emission, nor heat. I do perform, adhesion, surface hardness, and other type of tests,requested by cuszomer, but it will be requested, even if I calibrate my oven. Maybe I have a wrong understanding of the problem, due to my English.
Gyorgy

T

Toefuzz - 2006

How much time do your parts actually spend in the IR oven? I've never actually used one (though we do have a small oven out back we took out of an abandoned Delphi plant) but most people I talk to seem to cure parts for two to three minutes. We use good old fashioned gas ovens for our coatings lines and have always used a gloss/cure test as our monitoring device without problem. It takes approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour for parts to travel through our oven so I have to imagine that if we can do it you should be fine at two or three minutes... especially if you could run a sample. We continously run the same parts/colors and a change in gloss is noticable immediately... might be a little different if we were running smaller lots on an infrequent basis. We do have a data logger we run through each of our ovens periodically, but it tends to be used when we want to make changes to the oven or show the customer the actual bake cycle of their parts. I'm not sure if something like that would work in an IR but it might be worth looking into. The logger actually records part temperature which is very useful in a gas fired oven like ours.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

P

pabloquintana

Good to measure output, but that is Quality Control. If you want Process Control and Quality Assurance you better know how your oven is performing and if your settings are maintining through time.

I'm not sure if you have a closed loop control that will adjust IR output based on the temperature you require, so you need to be sure that "HIGH" is 800F and "MEDIUM" is 500F to mention some numbers.

Don't fulfill your audit requirements, use them!.

Pablo :bigwave:

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
There is an ASTM test or two that require IR ovens, with a power of 5 w/nm/m3 at one meter.

The suggestion to use optical detectors is a good one to verify the wavelength, but these light sources also produce quite a bit of heat. You may conside a high temp thermocouple for the heat measurement. The optical detectors should not be left in the oven too long, unless they are built for that environment.

Of course I recommend you have the items you use receive calibration at an accredited cal lab (accredited under ISO/IEC 17025).

Hope this helps.

Hershal

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Need help with analysing a survey on minitab Using Minitab Software 1
K A proposal for the model Quality Management - I need help for the project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Probability - Need a help to solve the below question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
8 Need Help - Runout - Function Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
S New to FAIR, need help in filling it out AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
R Pls help --- Need expert advice on Video Measurement Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 0
Ajit Basrur Need help to understand HIPAA requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
Z I need help with getting a CFS in China Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Need help wrapping my head around confidence vs beta error Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
P Received a minor for not having good measureables/goals. Need help with KPIs. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 52
A Failed the AS9120B Exam Twice.....Need Help AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
Ajit Basrur Need help in Conditional Formatting for the entire row Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
H Need help on Quality Improvement Plan (QIP) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
S Help: Need Control Self Assessment Questionnaire for HR Departmental Functions Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 0
M Need help in Calibration of Directional Coupler General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
L Need HELP with Internal Audit Program ISO 13485.2003 Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 3
J Supporting Processes - Internal Audits - Need help settling a debate IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
A Cpk Formula seems off, need help!? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
A Need Help With AEA Auditor Related Situational Questions AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
E Transformer Overload Test - Need help IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
C I Need Help with Drafting Conventions!!! Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
M Need help on QMS Development in an AS9100C certified organization AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
R Need Help on Analysis: How to know potential causality model from historical data Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
B Need help tracking training for my business Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
B Need help with a Control Plan for Encapsulation Mold / Trimming / Forming Tooling FMEA and Control Plans 9
S I need help from all of you bros Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
LRE67 Need help identifying this "thing" Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
G Need help on Device Description in the Acceptance Checklist for Traditional 510(k) Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
K Need help finding a book on Documentation Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 8
J Need help/advice on video editing software etc..... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
L Need Help with Case Study Questions Manufacturing and Related Processes 16
W Help explaining the need for the Process Approach AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
Ron Rompen Unusual problem with Excel - Need some help Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 7
S Need help on new TS 16949 Rules IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M Need help with Network Analyzers and which DUT can be Calibrated with it Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
R Need help on defining scope for Design Verification File for Class III IVD 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
J Help I need your opinion on a News Letter Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 15
N Need Help Preparing for Medical Device Quality Engineer Interview Career and Occupation Discussions 2
B Need help on an application we are working on Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
S Need help with Project Charter for my Six Sigma Green Belt Project Six Sigma 1
Q Need help on MSA study on a torque analyzer Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
B Need help in adding second location to FDA Registration Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
T A survey on problems during ISMS implementation - need help IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
Z My first Gage R&R - Paper/Poly/Foil Material Bond Test, need help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
R Need help on cost analysis for copper tube manufacturing Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
T SPSS for Analysis of Medical Data - Need help Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
T Metal Stamping Defect--Need Help with Corrective Action Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
E New to Quality & Need Help Career and Occupation Discussions 6
T Need help developing an ECO (Engineering Change order) procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
S Need Help with Response Surface Optimization Using Minitab Software 4