Need Quality Manager advice.

FloridaST

Involved In Discussions
Hey everybody, I've been in a Quality Manager role for about 2.5 years now. I was massaged into this after the previous QM left and I wasn't experienced at all in the quality realm. I agreed to take it over because I saw the value in the opportunity to learn new things. After a few years, I've grown to enjoy it but where I work is a bit dysfunctional. I've kept our QMS going and kept us in ISO certificates but I'm from the production side of things and I'm admittedly weak on the process management side of things.

We recently hired a very experienced Quality Engineer and he's very strong in Six Sigma, processes, etc. whereas I'm stronger in interacting with the customer and bridging the gap between quality and production management. He doesn't need any supervision really so I'm just here to make sure he has what he needs to do his job.

Anyway, I feel like I'm flailing and not being effective anymore. Almost 20 years in manufacturing... maybe it's time to move on.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Johnny Quality

Quite Involved in Discussions
FloridaST,

After a few years, I've grown to enjoy it but where I work is a bit dysfunctional.
Why is it dysfunctional?

I've kept our QMS going and kept us in ISO certificates but I'm from the production side of things and I'm admittedly weak on the process management side of things.
Then there's an area for you to improve if you'd like and see value in it.

We recently hired a very experienced Quality Engineer and he's very strong in Six Sigma, processes, etc. whereas I'm stronger in interacting with the customer and bridging the gap between quality and production management. He doesn't need any supervision really so I'm just here to make sure he has what he needs to do his job.
Be very thankful you have someone so strong to rely on and not a floundering hack. Learn from them and let them learn from you. The ones that don't need supervision are the best in my opinion, you can let just let them work.

Anyway, I feel like I'm flailing and not being effective anymore.
Why are you flailing?

In all honesty, if your direct report is doing their job right, you're kind of expected as the manager to not have to do much supervision--So it should be a good thing. Perhaps consider taking or adding on more responsibility or other roles.

I'm curious as to why you are flailing and why where you work is dysfunctional as well.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Lee Iaccoca very loosely quoted..."always hire experts who are smarter than you are...rely on them their abilities, manage, get out of their way..."

John Predmore

Trusted Information Resource
Maybe you provide value by focusing on long-term concerns and allow your very-capable quality engineer to focus on day-to-day activities. That is a good division of labor efforts. There is a need in a QMS to do planning, monitoring external/internal environment, auditing, risk assessment, and identify areas of need for continuous improvement that no one else is looking at. Sometimes people who are good at the day-to-day stuff don't have time or the perspective for the longer term stuff.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Quality Managers typically help everyone else to deliver quality services and products without doing it for them.

This can be very challenging, esp if you’re tempted to plug any gaps yourself instead of attending to the system.

Kindly define your “floundering” as you would a system nonconformity:

A. What is the requirement you feel you are not fulfilling?
B. Please describe the evidence.
C. Please describe the consequences.

We may then be even more helpful.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Should the average everday Quality Control Manager need a copy of ISO 17025? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
B Does a Distribution Company need to have a quality manager? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
U Need Help With API Q2 Quality Manual Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
MSeibert47 Daily Quality Topics - Need Ideas Please! Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 15
M PSA Suppliers - CSR matrix and need the quality manual of PSA APQP and PPAP 6
G Need to change KPI we called NC parts (maximum 3%.) to FTQ (first time quality) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
K A proposal for the model Quality Management - I need help for the project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
K Defining Acceptance Quality Level, I need clarity on AQL 1.5, 2.5, 4.0 AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
H Need help on Quality Improvement Plan (QIP) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
Q Do we really need a traditional Quality Manual? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
P Need suggestion on Software or App for Tracking Quality Plan Status Software Quality Assurance 1
M Need examples of ISO 9001 Quality Manual ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
N Need Help Preparing for Medical Device Quality Engineer Interview Career and Occupation Discussions 2
E New to Quality & Need Help Career and Occupation Discussions 6
J Does Every Staff need to read the ISO9001 Quality Manual from Cover to Cover? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
Moncia Writing a new Quality Manual for my new company - Need help ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
L Need an example of an "FQCR" - A final quality control report. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
U Need speaker for ISO 19011:2011 at Quality Conference Texas General Auditing Discussions 3
K I need a Quality Plan template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Q CQA (Certified Quality Auditor)? I need all the help I can get. Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
T I need help with the Quality Manual Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
H Need help with AQL (Acceptable Quality Level) for a QC inspection AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
N Does the KFDA need our distributor to have a copy of our Quality System ? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 11
M New QMR (Quality Management Representative) in need of advice ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Q Does a Quality Manual need to be issued a Control Number Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 29
G I need education in Quality Management Professional Certifications and Degrees 8
K I need an ISO 9001 Quality Manual Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 9
C Need a Creative Way to Introduce our Quality Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 34
A Checklist for Auditing the Quality Dept. (I need your comments) Internal Auditing 14
B Need material to train employees and technician about quality Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
B Quality Policy - Need to include "Customer Satisfaction & Continual Improvement? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A I need some quality manuals for quality system - Tire or polymer and rubber industry Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
L Quality Policy - Need to have the revision number on the copy of policy displayed? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
E Starting to write a Quality System Manual - Import/export medical devices - Need help ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A I need help on Six sigma and TQM - Quality Management course discussion question Six Sigma 3
R Quality Planning - What tools we need to use to perform quality planning? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
C Need a procedure or outline on Good Practices for Completing Quality Records/Document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Starting a quality Department - What are the things I need to initiate it? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
J Restructuring and Additional Responsibilities - Need New Quality Title Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 15
K Quality department & Regulatory department split - Need suggestions on scope Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 12
V API Q1 Quality Manual / ISO 29001 - 7.3 - The need for "Control Features" Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 29
B Do we need a product to have a quality manual (FAA/EASA 145 included)? EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 22
Q Need some suggestions from Quality Experts - Production Launch Visit. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
L AS9100B Quality System Manual: Need an example! Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 7
K Does the Quality Manual Need to be Distributed to All Employees? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 20
V ISO 9000 Quality Consultant - What are the prerequisite things I need to know Consultants and Consulting 8
A Which Subcontractors or Facilities need to be listed on a Quality System Certificate? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
P Simple Quality Systems Manual - Do we really need bloated Quality Manuals Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 9
A Do we need to revise our Quality Policy for ISO/IEC 17025:2005? ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
C Quality Lessons from the Field - The need to understand your true costs The Reading Room 18