Need to understand difference between an actual Calibration vs. a Calibration check

I need a better understanding here with calibration. Specifically, calibration of hand held torque wrenches used for automotive equipment installations. Some background, the association I work for has dealers across the US who perform equipment installations. Our quality program requires the tools, in this case the torque wrenches, are calibrated and traceable to NIST. The majority of our members hire a thrid-party calibration lab to perform the calibrations. But, i have a company who would like to do calibrations in-house. They asked me if a certain piece of equipment (a SnapOn QCDTC3250 electronic Torque Checker) would be sufficient to perform the calibrations. My undertstanding is that the 'checker' is just that, it checks the tool to verify if it is still in calbration, but that to calibrate the tool you would need a different piece of equipment (something at least 10x more precise). But my knowledge of calibration is weak in this area. Can someone help explain the differrence between a calibration versus a calibration check, or are they actually the same thing? thanks in advance for your knowledge...

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
I step lightly into this one.... some painful memories here.

Calibration is comparing a tool to an instrument (standard) that is calibrated, whose results are traceable to a national body such as NIST, and is more accurate than the tool you are calibrating. Very brief and incomplete answer here, but good enough for this discussion.

A calibration check is a confidence test of a tool, verifying that is is still accurate prior to it being used. Frequently the equipment used in these checks can be as accurate as the standard used for the calibration.

Because of that, there are some organizations that will use these calibration checks in place of a full calibration program, especially for torque. What they do is verify the accuracy of a tool at a given setting just prior to it being used. They record these results as objective evidence that they performed a traceable check every time the tool starts being used.

Myself, I'm a belt and suspenders sort of guy. I like to see torque tools get a full calibration at a set interval, and then to go through the verification/calibration check prior to use each day to maintain confidence that the tool did not drift since the last calibration. And yes, you can do all of this in house, only sending the torque tester(s) out for calibration.

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
In a past life at a business that did a lot of metrology with hand-held tools, our tools (and items like gage blocks) were regularly calibrated (traceable to NIST) but we would do calibration checks before each use. For example: in the case of things like micrometers and calipers, we'd do a 3-point (not using zero) check for linearity (using gage blocks) before each use. For other instruments (e.g. pi-wrap tapes) we couldn't always do a 3-point check (using gage cylinders) but typically we could do a 2-point check on each one.

I don't want to write an entire thesis on the appropriateness of any particular calibration check for any specific instrument, but you do have to be aware of the appropriate range of the instrument, and have some idea of how it (electro-)mechanically does its job, to know how representative the check-points are.... blah blah blah "linear over what range" fishcakes.

dgriffith

Quite Involved in Discussions
I agree with both above.
We use two sets of Snap-on torque testers, one in in-lb, one in ft-lb, in 2 hangars here at work.
They are there for mechanics and technicians to verify torque settings before use on aircraft. The fastener torque requirements are already established, and the tester is to help ensure the wrench is capable at the torque of interest.
Otherwise, all torque wrenches are calibrated at established intervals in our on-site calibration lab with a Snap-on m.2000 torque calibrator.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ajit Basrur Need help to understand HIPAA requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
C I need to understand gage R&R - University Instruments Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C Quality Lessons from the Field - The need to understand your true costs The Reading Room 18
B Whose waste carrier licence do I need? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
I I need some fun examples of teaching the 5 Whys Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 43
R First Time Managing Calibration and Measurement System. Need Help. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
M CE marked medical device - do they need UKAS certified calibration provider ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
C I need some clearing on requirements of Asuring the validity of results ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
C Need help in determining applicable clause for an audit finding (based on AS9120B) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K Subcontractors Providing Services Under MDD or MDR need ISO 13485 from EU Notified Body? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
E Need some peer advice Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
S Need clarification on UKCA and "Approved Body" UK Medical Device Regulations 7
S What types of changes need to be notified to NBs? Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
B Do I need a Cleanroom to manufacture Medical Devices? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J CMO in Canada do they need MDSAP/13485 certification? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Attempting to Poke Yoke a wire crimping process...need help Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
C I need your help to find the action plan for these quality objectives Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 23
ChrisM Class 1 non-sterile device, need certified QMS or not? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Steve Prevette I need a template to solve world hunger, a world class Quality Program, and make lots of money Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
S How many tester quantity we need on the line based on the cycle time and peak volume Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
R Need help on calibration result analysis Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 17
M Do i need to have equipment validation if 100% testing is completed? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
G Need Help with Run @ Rate for Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
F Need help in IMS management review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 3
S I need help in corrective action plan Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
A Do clinical performance studies for IVDs need to be conducted in a member state? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Do clinical performance studies for IVDs need to be conducted in a member state? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
D Weird spec sheet - need help Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
E Do I need test reports for all standards mentioned in my 510k application? Other Medical Device Related Standards 8
J Japan registration need manual without temperature reading Japan Medical Device Regulations 0
Ashland78 Need IATF 16949 ISO Gap Analysis Excel File Internal Auditing 3
R Need for an Importer outside EU? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
T Do I need to add non-product related service providers to my ASL? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
K Need Help With Auditing Suppliers Against ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 50
A Need career advice on QMS & HSE (No hands on experience) Career and Occupation Discussions 6
B Need assistance with documents CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
R Lead auditor scenario (Need help) is this non conforming to ISO13485 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Ashland78 Need to show evidence in accordance with QR-11012 and SPB-00001-09 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
E Does IVD need to integrate with hospital IT infrastructure? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
U Need Help With API Q2 Quality Manual Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 8
S In Need of GIDEP Guidance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Do employee training records need to be controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D What evidence do I need to supply as a remote location in relation to manufacturing sites? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
T Non API products need to comply to API Q1? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
G Need journal and reference of abnormal bar chart SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
MSeibert47 Daily Quality Topics - Need Ideas Please! Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 18
W Do Reference materials for IATF need to be 17025? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
D Need some Help on 8D fault tree analysis Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 6
A Need to calculate tolerance Intervals with a set of non-normal data and 3-Parameter Weibull distribution Using Minitab Software 0
Melissa Risk Management Process, How far do I need to go? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 13