Networked Quality System - Seeking comments from anyone who has networked

Geoff Cotton

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi folks,

We are thinking of putting our Quality Manuals on our computer network as a read only document controlled from one source.

Anybody had any problems with this.

Thanks

Geoff

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Don Reid

Totally agree with Roger.

did exactly that with the index page being the first item to spark up.

added hyperlinks to the relevant sections, and away we went.

Don

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
Excellent idea. That is the approach I am taking. Certainly makes distributuion easier, and there is never a question whether the latest revision is in use. Good Luck!

A

AJPaton

Second Don's suggestion.

We put our manual on the local network years ago, before hyperlinking documents became so popular. Our manual has grown to a great size, and therefore takes forever to come up.

Whatever software system you use, modularize the manual so that you don't end up with large inaccessible files.

AJP

Geoff Cotton

Quite Involved in Discussions
Thanks for the encouragment folk's

Got the system onto our intranet, but still struggling with the 'technofobe' 'we never did it this way' Quality Manager (Ludite) who can't realize web technology is not going to go away even if he won't get his head out the sand.

Before I reinvent, the wheel has anyone got a Policy, Procedure, Work Instruction for the issue / authorisation of documents onto the intranet that suits QS9000 that I could beg.

Thanks

Geoff

A

Andy Bassett

Hello Geoff

I used to be a big fan of Intranets, and bascially i still am, having implemented 3 or 4 of them. The thought is that having your QMS in pretty colours in peoples faces all day will enourage them to use it or read it.

My experience is that this has absolutely no influence on the employee take-up of a QMS. They simply will not go in on their own and start refreshing their minds how a procedure should work. If you really want to improve the take-up you will probably have to go back to direct training with hardcopies.

Their is no doubting the usefulness of on-line manuals for the Management Representative, for distributing new versions and making sure that the Manual is up-to-date.

My feeling is that you can implement Intranets in two ways, clever and high-tech or simple and low-tech. If you sit down with an EDP expert he will almoist certainly push you down the route of Hyperlinks etc.

If you have the technology internally to handle this, go ahead. If not keep in mind that the system will have to be frequently updated if you want it to 'live'. In this case hyperlinks and their like are a pain.

Nowaday i always link from the Intranet Page to an Explorer Folder. Yes i know, not very pretty, but at least it means that the documents can be created in a format that nearly everybody can use Word/Visio/Excel, and i can control the access/read/write rights very easily.

Beware of doing too much in Html format, or all the changes, however small, will be routed over your desk, and this will strangle the updating of the system.

Regards

------------------
Andy B

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Staff member
Admin
There are many ways to do this. Each company has different capabilities. I prefer the simplistic approach of protected directories. As an extreme, one clinet I had took document control so far that there was a form on the intranet one would fill out. As soon as you sent the request for change the document control person's pager would go off and he would retrieve it and start the process.

You have to take a close look at your company and determine what would be best for it. Some companies need the simplicity - others need certain complexities.

I do recommend against canned software in 95% of companies.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Quality Management-ISO 9001:2015 General Auditing Discussions 1
M UDI barcode quality EU Medical Device Regulations 3
H Quality planning sign-off in AIAG APQP Manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
S Creating a Quality culture! AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
M Root cause for lack of quality objectives for HSE Dept. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
V Quality Manager Reporting US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Q BMW Supplied Parts Quality Management -> Is there any new supplier quality manual? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
J COST OF POOR QUALITY IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Beth Savage Quality Solutions Sales Representative--Dayton, OH Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
ernieto Outsourced Processes Quality Agreements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J ISO 17020 Quality Manual Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
M Resume Review Request - Quality Assurance Career and Occupation Discussions 11
E History of quality Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 7
Q How to classify several systems for Quality Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 10
PQ Systems Preparing for Your Quality Meeting Using SQCpack Software 0
PQ Systems Defining Quality with Specifications Using SQCpack Software 0
PQ Systems Data Security in the Quality Industry Using GAGEpack Software 0
M Who should quality representative report to? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Tagin Using a meme generator to poke fun at quality Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
N Quality Inspection Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
O Quality Management System Implementation framework and Gap analysis checklist Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
R Statistical Methods for comparing test and reference product equivalence for quality attributes US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
T Quality Management System Q1 and Q2 Interpretations Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
Sidney Vianna Informational ISO/CD 7101 Health Care Quality Management System Standard Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 0
K MHLW MO169 2021 Japan Ministerial Ordinance on Standards for Manufacturing Control and Quality Control for Medical Devices and In-Vitro Diagnostics Japan Medical Device Regulations 2
Nihls Quality Control (stability) Chart for CMM's - How the control limits are to be calculated Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
M How to manage Sop's & other quality documents after business transfer Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
F So my quality management position is being marginalized by my job. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
P Does FDA require certification for quality system internal audit for auditor? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
R Quality adjusting inventory in ERP system AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
T Add checking aid to quality systems Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
A Quality's Authority - Company Moving In ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
S ISO9001 QMS: Quality Manual Examples & Templates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
M Quality Manager - Aerospace/Defense Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
U Need Help With API Q2 Quality Manual Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 8
Evelyn7E Quality is everybody's responsibility Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 29
F Quality Control in Electrical Calibration ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
Q Product Quality vs Product Defects Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
A Final quality control corrective actions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D Question on Supplier Quality (SCAR) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Recommended software to send Quality scorecards to suppliers (external providers) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
G How to implement H&S and Quality Control Requirements in Contract for Potential Supplier? Contract Review Process 6
O What skills are most important for a new Quality Manager Career and Occupation Discussions 27
MSeibert47 Daily Quality Topics - Need Ideas Please! Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 18
P Quality and Regulatory organizational structure Consultants and Consulting 2
P Examples of quality plans in IEC 62304 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
bobdoering Most typical universal Quality System Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 8
F Need Quality Manager advice. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
Sidney Vianna ISO 9001 News ISO 9001 Quality Check - spinning facts in LinkedIn ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Quality assurance area Manufacturing and Related Processes 11