New AIAG Publication Alert: Pandemic Preparedness & Response Plan

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Friends,

A new publication from AIAG.

Does your company have a plan of action identified in the event of a pandemic flu outbreak?

A global epidemic could present a significant concern for employees, employers and the entire supply base as business operations and production may inevitably be interrupted creating a potential domino effect throughout the supply chain. Companies need to take the basic steps to facilitate quick reaction and ensure the safety of employees as well as manage risks and business disruptions. AIAG's new Pandemic Preparedness & Response Plan presents the tools and resources to aid you in preparing a plan of action to take in the event of an avian flu or other infectious disease outbreak.

Having a plan for preparation and response to a pandemic situation is a critical part of a business continuity plan. Promoting employee education and communication, this step-by-step guideline includes essential information to plan and implement a course of action. It also identifies the appropriate resources that need to be engaged including human resources, communication and medical professionals from various automotive companies.

Geared specifically to Tier 2 or 3 suppliers, examples provided are flexible enough to be used by companies of any size or organizational structure. The guide features:

Information on pandemic planning in relation to business continuity planning
Pandemic Preparation and Response Plan program development and implementation recommendations
Communications planning suggestions
Samples of a Pandemic Preparedness and Response Plan, Employee Handbook, Pandemic Site Planning Guide and Pandemic Planning Checklist
The Pandemic Preparedness & Response Plan is available in print and electronic document formats at a list price of $98 and a discounted price of $49 for AIAG members. To order go to www.aiag.org or call customer service at (248) 358-3003.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: New Publication Alert: Pandemic Preparedness & Response Plan

I appreciate the info, Stijloor, so this is not personal in any way...

But I think things like this are scaremongering and I'm glad I'm not in an industry where not having such a plan would be unfavorable to customers.
I see this as people making jobs for themselves.

Out of curiosity - does AIAG require west coast USA facilities to have earthquake plans? Great plains USA facilities to have tornado plans? Coastal USA facilities to have hurricane/flood plans? How about drought plans for facilities that use a lot of water? Do they require key managers to fly on different aircraft for travel as well?

Randy

Super Moderator

AIAG might concern itself with the terminal case of dumb that seems to be pandemic across US automotive executives.

That's where the greatest threat is and it seems to have jumped back and forth between their species and the species of other senior US business executives.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

I appreciate the info, Stijloor, so this is not personal in any way...

But I think things like this are scaremongering and I'm glad I'm not in an industry where not having such a plan would be unfavorable to customers.
I see this as people making jobs for themselves.

Out of curiosity - does AIAG require west coast USA facilities to have earthquake plans? Great plains USA facilities to have tornado plans? Coastal USA facilities to have hurricane/flood plans? How about drought plans for facilities that use a lot of water? Do they require key managers to fly on different aircraft for travel as well?

Hi ScottK,

Thanks for the feedback. FYI: AIAG does not set or establish requirements per se. They respond to a need from its members; Automotive OEM's and their suppliers. This is probably related to a requirement in ISO/TS 16949:2002 Clause 6.3.2 "Contingency plans." I posted it because I found it interesting.

Stijloor.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

AIAG might concern itself with the terminal case of dumb that seems to be pandemic across US automotive executives.

That's where the greatest threat is and it seems to have jumped back and forth between their species and the species of other senior US business executives.

Randy,

I contacted the Program Manager at AIAG to find out who or what triggered the development of this document. I'll let my Fellow Covers know when she/he responds.

Stijloor.

M

Mustang

I do know that my company received a letter from Ford a few months back wanting to know what our plan was for a Pandemic... so I'm betting AIAG is getting lots of calls, and this was in response to them.

P

Pudge 72

Pandemic - we can't even get sick days.

I'll tell you what Ford should do if we all get sick - call China, isn't that what they do for everything else? Maybe they could get a 50% cost down or something - so, the Execs. would probably end up loving it!!!!!

Randy

Super Moderator
Planing for disaster whether it is a flu pandemic, fire, flood, overflowing toilets, stock market crash, job action or whatever is just plain common sense.

Wait a minute...I forgot, common sense and US business management are like oil and water....

The really big problem is that organizations and people do not know how to play "The What If - Then" game.

M

Mustang

I agree...Pandemic planning should be part of the general Emergency Planning, with a few specifics (masks, whatever). Everyone is treating it like it is something separate. Why overcomplicate things?

K

Kevin H

At my prior employer, a tier 1 & 2 supplier of stainless steel to the auto industry contingency plans and reaction to natural disasters were taken seriously and were fairly detailed. Plans were also backed up with training as needed - evacuation routes, meeting places, etc. dependent on the disaster.

Did they get caught on some things - yes, we had an issue where a motor was removed for PM at a vendor's and the replacement motor failed extremely prematurely ( about 4 months of service & should have lasted 2 or more years) We had to scramble and some temporary issues.

At my current employer, a major international company with headquarters in Scandinavia, the disaster plans for the US operations at the headquarters plant are a joke. For example, I've been here over 6 years and have no idea where to evacuate to in case of a tornado. I'm not about to raise such issues any more because the bearer of bad tidings is considered to be responsible for causing them rather than identifying them and bringing them to the attention of the appropriate manger/department for resolution.

Top Bottom