New ASME B89.1.13-2013 Standard for Micrometers

dgriffith

Quite Involved in Discussions
Has anyone had a chance to review the new American standard (ANSI) ASME B89.1.13-2013, Micrometers?
It puts forth some new requirements on uncertainty analysis for micrometers, and hints that the methods will have reaching effects throughout metrology. The standard prescribes the methods and two papers (listed below) presented at the 2013 NCSLi conference suggest that these may be controversial, as they seem to me to be based on interpreted VIM definitions. Some of the concepts are:

− Definition of an indication
− Default compliance decision rule
− Traceability requirement
− Sources of uncertainty
− Definition of the measurand
− Performance verification versus assignment of reference values
− Concept of a reasonably skilled operator

While I am not expert in any particular discipline, I can see how this might change the way I construct uncertainty budgets in the non-dimensional areas where I frequently work. The Standard has very informative non-mandatory appendixes (A-E) with examples.
I?m not sure I can re-publish any portions of these papers, but if those with an interest want more info I guess they can contact the authors. If you were at the conference I think everyone was given a DVD of the proceedings.

Important Broad-Based Metrology Concepts
in the Revised U.S. Micrometer Standard
James G. Salsbury
Mitutoyo America Corporation
945 Corporate Blvd.
Aurora, IL 60502
Phone: 630-723-3619
Fax: 630-978-6471
and
Uncertainty of Calibration of Instruments,
a Simple Example in Dimensional Metrology
Speaker/Author: Ted Doiron
Dimensional Metrology Group
Semiconductor and Dimensional Metrology Division
National Institute of Standards and Technology
100 Bureau Dr, Stop 8211, SDMD
Gaithersburg, MD, 20899
301-975-3472; [email protected]

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dgriffith

Thanks, Marc.
Perhaps I could make it more relevant by saying:
The resolution of the micrometer is no longer a part of the uncertainty budget when calibrating the micrometer, but is used when using the micrometer to make a measurement. So, gauge block calibrates the micrometer vs. micrometer calibrates the gauge block.
One of the concepts in the papers was if it's not the fault of the lab, then it doesn't contribute to the calibration budget.
It does look like it will make its way to other disciplines. NASA is already taking a look at this to determine whether this method will be used in its calibration labs as they revisit their policy directive NPD 8730.1 Metrology and Calibration and its appendices.

Just food for thought.

DietCokeofEvil

Trusted Information Resource
I've got the standard- Micrometers are not my expertise, but I don't see that the uncertainty budget calculation should change. The appendix referring to calculation is non-mandatory. Are you saying that since my company calibrates these, we will need to re-do our uncertainty budget?

dgriffith

. . . The appendix referring to calculation is non-mandatory. Are you saying that since my company calibrates these, we will need to re-do our uncertainty budget?
Yes, or No, or It Depends. My post was only meant to convey new information for those with an interest. I wish you (and others) had access to the two papers I mention above. In fact, I think it's okay to include the abstracts here with cited authorship. Hopefully they will give you an idea where the committee was going when they wrote the new standard.
Uncertainty of Calibration of Instruments,
a Simple Example in Dimensional Metrology
Speaker/Author: Ted Doiron
Dimensional Metrology Group
Semiconductor and Dimensional Metrology Division
National Institute of Standards and Technology
100 Bureau Dr, Stop 8211, SDMD
Gaithersburg, MD, 20899
301-975-3472 [email protected]

Abstract:
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]How is the calibration of a micrometer using gage blocks different from using a micrometer to calibrate gage blocks? In the measurement community there seems to be a lot of confusion about which characteristics of an instrument go into the uncertainty budget for calibrating that instrument. This talk will discuss this issue for a standard hand micrometer and show that given a set of gage blocks and micrometer readings, the uncertainty is exceedingly different depending on which is the standard and which is the instrument under test.
A quote: “In ordinary language, we must separate the errors that are the lab’s fault from those that are the instrument’s fault.”
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Important Broad-Based Metrology Concepts
in the Revised U.S. Micrometer Standard
James G. Salsbury
Mitutoyo America Corporation
945 Corporate Blvd.
Aurora, IL 60502
Phone: 630-723-3619 Fax: 630-978-6471
Abstract
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
A revision to the U.S. standard on micrometers, ASME B89.1.13, was approved by the ASME B89 dimensional metrology standards committee in 2012, and final publication of the standard is expected in 2013. This standard includes many modern and novel calibration concepts that apply beyond the dimensional field, and the purpose of this paper is to communicate some of the highlights of this new standard to the larger metrology community. Some of the key issues include defining the measurand, traceability requirements, conformance decision rules, calibration versus verification, and measurement uncertainty. It is expected that some of the concepts in the revised ASME B89.1.13 will be controversial, for example the intentional lack of inclusion of the resolution of the unit under test in the estimation of measurement uncertainty. By presenting this new standard in completion, it is hoped that others will understand and appreciate the reasoning behind some of the novel and controversial concepts in this standard and therefore be able to apply some of the ideas not just to micrometers but to other fields of metrology as well.​
A quote: "In the revised ASME B89.1.13, a micrometer indication, for use in comparing to specifications, is defined as any and all unique measurement indications made under reasonable use of the micrometer. In addition, the standard states that averaging of several test values, or other data treatment, is not permitted."
Your company (and quality management) will have to decide for itself, after much further review, of course.
The upshot is, however, that uncertainties will go down. Resolution is a large contributor to dimensional uncertainty budgets, when used.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
dgriffith, it is possible that the resolution of the micrometer is not considered crucial in the new 89.1. However, try to get any AB on the planet to buy off on that, it will be rejected. Why? Because for dimensional and a fair amount of mechanical,resolution does in fact have an effect on the uncertainty.

That NIST may or may not take a different view none of us can control, but I suspect if they do, it will be in conflict with CIPM and would certainly affect the CMCs in the database of comparisons.

DietCokeofEvil, that depends. If you have had your blocks recalibrated, then yes, at the next micrometer calibrations, you must redo the uncertainty budget. If you switch from dial to digital, or the reverse, you must redo the uncertainty budgets. Why? Because the old one becomes invalid based on obsolete information.

This revised standard, like the differences in Z540-1 and Z540.3, will likely take time to work out.

dgriffith

dgriffith, it is possible that the resolution of the micrometer is not considered crucial in the new 89.1. However, try to get any AB on the planet to buy off on that, it will be rejected. Why? Because for dimensional and a fair amount of mechanical, resolution does in fact have an effect on the uncertainty.
Your statement is the crux of it. They are saying resolution is part of a budget when the micrometer, used as a standard, makes the measurement and assigns a value to a test article or work piece. However, apparently the resolution (and repeatability) is not part of a budget when making performance verification tests against the micrometer specifications (when the micrometer is being calibrated).

Griff

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Dial Indicator Calibration Frequency - ASME/ANSI B89.1.10M-1987 Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
N ASME B89.1.13 question regarding Resolution and Maximum Permissible Error General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Q Dial Indicator Verification Procedure - ANSI/ASME B89.1.10M-2001 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
M Is ASME B89.1.5 a standard? Measurement of master discs or cylindrical plug gages Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 10
M New Gage Block Tolerances - ASME B89.1.9 Tolerances and Grades General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
B ASME B89.6.2 - Temperature and Humidity Environment for Dimensional Measurements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
K ASME, ANSI, ASTM and similar specifications and their requirements for document control. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
C Budgetary cost to obtain ASME NQA-1 Quality Program Certification Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 0
P FAI Ballooning ASME Y14.5 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J Painted cut threads - ASME Pipe Suppliers Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
GoKats78 ASME Y14.5 Dimensioning and Tolerancing - Is there a JIS equivalent to Y14.5? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
optomist1 ASME Y14.5 Irregular vs Regular Features of Size Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
O What does "Gap" and "Flush" in ASME Y14.5 mean? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
optomist1 Has anyone recently taken the GD&T ASME Y14.5M Certification Exam Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
C Positional Tolerance - Bonus / Datum Shift / ASME Y14.5M - Clarification Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 9
K ASME BPVC (Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code) Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
L How to conduct a Quality Audit based on ASME BPVC VIII-1 requirements Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
M What Preceded ANSI/ASME Y14.5? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
M ANSI/ASME B1.2 Revision Changes from the 2001 version Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
L ASME Y14.5 Coaxial Feature Toleranced with Position w/o Reference Datum Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
D ASME Y14.5M 1994 and 2009 Training Resources Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
R ASME of Sterilizers from China for the US Dental Industry China Medical Device Regulations 3
D Auxiliary View Fold Line convention in ASME standard? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
optomist1 ASME GD&T Certification Test - Converting Coordinate Tolerances to Profile Tolerances Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
G ASME Y14.5-2009 on tolerance limits Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
optomist1 Is ASME GD&T Technologist Certification worthwhile? Professional Certifications and Degrees 7
M ASME B1.13M Standard - Specification of a Plug Gage of Minor Diamateter Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
T Dimensions Before or After Coating? Drawing states ASME Y14.100 and Y14.5 apply Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
G ANSI & ASME regardless of Maximum Material Condition when none is specified Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
M ASME-NQA-1-2008 - Quality Assurance Requirements for Nuclear Facility Applications Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
R Distribution of Reference Documents and ASME Codes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
R Standard Relevance & Updating - ASME B&PVC Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
T ASME NQA-1-1994 Standard Supplement 17S-1: Dual Storage Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
M ASME NQA-1 and Interface Control Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 34
M ASME NQA-1-1994 Standards - Struggling with the supplement references Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 16
Stijloor ASME Y14.5M-2009 is on its way! Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 10
T Nuclear Liability - Supplying construction materials - ASME under NCA 3800 Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
J Measurement Over Wires - Is there an ISO equivalent of ASME B1.16m Appendix B? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
D GD&T and "Fixed Fastener formula" (ASME Y14.5) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
I European Code (EN13445) vs. ASME VIII - Calculating Spherical Heads Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
K PED (Pressure Equipment Directive) Certification - We hold an ASME 'S' stamp CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
M ANSI-Y14.5M vs. ASME-Y14.5M - Does an ANSI-Y14.5M-1994 document actually exist? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 9
D Drafting Conventions per ASME Y14.5m - Three significant digits rule Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 12
O Environmental conditions per ASME NQA-1 2000 QA records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
ScottK ASME B&PVC Section VIII Div 1 question regarding "Seal" Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
A Rights of Access per ASME/NQA-1 2000 Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 17
ScottK The term "Quality Control Manual" - ASME B&PVC question Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
A ASME Symbols (process Flow Diagrams) - GM-1805 (KCDS) shows different symbols APQP and PPAP 3
P Conflicting tolerances on the component pitch - ASME Y14.5M - 1994 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
gard2372 Any websites or matrices to cross reference EN or DIN standards to SAE/ASME etc...? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3