New company - How much quality records history required?

C

carol - 2004

New company - how much history required?

:mg: I am working with a small company that is being required to be TS 16949 certified. I was told by a Registrar's representative that they require 12 months of "data" in order to be qualified for registration. The company is quite new and has never been registered before. They have no formal quality systems in place. In the last year and 1/2 it has grown from 3 to 10 full time employees, plus 30 temps.

The company has about 1 to 2 years of process data, PPAP's, CP's, etc., but OEM has been working with this company to develop the production process. The OEM SQE's were assembling the APQP/PPAP documentation with data collected and working with the company's employees.

I am trying to get clarification from the registrar on what "data" and the time frame, but I was wondering if anyone else has come across this "requirement". I've worked on several QS implementations and it was never an issue.

Carol

Last edited by a moderator:

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
The "IATF Guidance to ISO/TS 16949:2002" document has a list of things required to be submitted to the registrar before the registration audit. It includes (among other things):

Key indicators trends (last 12 months):
- Customer satisfaction
- Employee motivation or awareness
- Product realization processes
- Supplier performance
Internal audit results and action plans (last 12 months)
Management review results (last 12 months)

S

Sam

From IAOB Web site.

5. Less than 12 months Performance Data
Question: How can a Site working towards ISO/TS 16949:2002 show 12 months performance data?
Answer: For an established facility the last 12 months performance data should be provided against the products in production and the QMS being used.

Note: In the case of a new facility the audit should be conducted once ISO/TS 16949:2002 QMS compliance is established the Certification Body is permitted to issue a letter of conformance. After 12 months production, when performance data is verified, the Certification process can proceed.

D

db

Carol, Welcome to the cove :bigwave:

Sam and howste have it pegged right. Some registrars will register you to ISO 9001:2000 for the first year, and show compliance to TS, then once you have the appropriate supporting data, they will then add the TS.

Check with your customer. They should allow you operate for the year, but it will be their call. Let us know how things turn out.

Top Bottom