New Daughter company -

Mkoenigsheim

Registered
Hello there - new member asking a newbie question that I don't want to ask my auditor..

We are an ISO9001 certified company and have been for several years.
This year we are establishing a Daughter company to that will replace an existing supplier with the manufacture and delivery of components.
They are being treated as a supplier - different IT, different country, different Company etc where we are the full shareholder.

I want to focus on getting the operation up and running this year and not get burdened with a huge to-do list for QM etc.

My question is - does the Daughter company need to be ISO certified or do I need to confirm they are following ISO procedures as a part of the HQ company ISO recertification process? Is there a requirement or can I technically ignore this Daughter company ISOwise?

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Hello there - new member asking a newbie question that I don't want to ask my auditor..

We are an ISO9001 certified company and have been for several years.
This year we are establishing a Daughter company to that will replace an existing supplier with the manufacture and delivery of components.
They are being treated as a supplier - different IT, different country, different Company etc where we are the full shareholder.

I want to focus on getting the operation up and running this year and not get burdened with a huge to-do list for QM etc.

My question is - does the Daughter company need to be ISO certified or do I need to confirm they are following ISO procedures as a part of the HQ company ISO recertification process? Is there a requirement or can I technically ignore this Daughter company ISOwise?

Welcome to the Cove.

Is the daughter company replacing a supplier with a certified system?

You’ve defined the scope of your certified management system. Why not extend this scope to include the system (or part of the system) of the daughter company? When working effectively you may extend the scope of your certified system to include that of the daughter company.

The main concern is not implying to your customers that services and products come from certified systems if this becomes untrue.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Welcome to the cove!

Nothing in ISO9001 requires that registered companies require all suppliers to be ISO9001 registered. Does your company, or any of your customers, require that you only use ISO9001 registered suppliers?

If your ISO9001 scope does not include that site, then control them like any other supplier based on what they are supplying.

Last edited:

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
I am with Cari here. Unless the 'parent' company is under requirements to purchase from certified companies, there is no requirement to do so. I would even go so far as to say it is not a daughter company, just another supplier, supplier control is were any requirements for certifications will flow down from.

Mkoenigsheim

Registered
That's great - thank you all for the rapid response- The Daughter company is replacing a supplier supply chain with no ISO certification.
Our IS certification has no requirement to have ISO certified suppliers.

We have our next ISO audit in June and this is just a Question of timing - Of Course I want the new company to benefit from at a minimum following our ISO processes and guidelines with a view to adding them to our certification/having a new certification in the future.

Top Bottom