New Facility - 6 to 12 Months Before We're Allowed to Register?

P

PGeorges

New Facility

My company is planning the launching of a new manufacturing facility in the US. Accordingly, we are including the planning of Certification.

Can someone tell/explain me if some requirements in the TS16949 Standards imply that the facility must have been running for some period like 6 or 12 months prior to being eligible for certification ?

[This message has been edited by PGeorges (edited 12 September 2000).]

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

Roger Eastin

I don't think there is a requirement like that in the standard. I guess it's really a matter of how quickly you can implement your ISO-based system in your new plant. 6-12 months after completion sounds pretty fast, but then, if the facility is small or you have some "modular" system's approach...

P

PGeorges

Has anyone had to go through this kind of situation already?

(I imagine that as TS16949 is recent, other's esperience on either TS or QS9000 would be interesting)

R

Roger Eastin

Although TS is new, QS9K or ISO9K is not, so there should be plenty of good experience here. Although some "packaged" approaches feature implementation times of 60-90 days, I think the general timeframe is more like 9-12 months. However, I don't know how many of those experiences are from a start-up perspective. My experience with implementing these systems (in a start-up phase) is in the 9-12 month range. Anyone else?

R

Rick Goodson

From a slightly different point of view, I believe it will depend on the registrar's 'system' requirements. My experience has been that they expect a 4 to 6 month period of time that the system has been operating. Auditors often want to know the 'turn on' date for the system so they know how far back they can audit. Other thoughts?

P

PGeorges

Originally posted by Roger Eastin:
Although some "packaged" approaches feature implementation times of 60-90 days, I think the general timeframe is more like 9-12 months.
That's very interesting. Would you know where to get such "packaged" approach. This approch would require extra care for time required by registrar for running conditions as described by Rick Goodson. This last item would mean that this time is registrar dependent, am I right ?

J

Jim Evans

Originally posted by PGeorges:

> Originally posted by Roger Eastin:
>
> Although some "packaged" approaches feature implementation times of
> 60-90 days, I think the general timeframe is more like 9-12 months.

That's very interesting. Would you know where to get such "packaged" approach. This approch would require extra care for time required by registrar for running conditions as described by Rick Goodson. This last item would mean that this time is registrar dependent, am I right ?

The September issue of Quality Digest has a buyers guide for consultants starting on page 58. Be very careful in choosing one of the fast track packaged plans. They generally provide very little value added benefit for your company. Quality Digest only lists consultants so there is no evaluation or endorsements. You can reach them at www.qualitydigest.com

Best Regards,

Jim
------------------------
Edited to correct html formatting.

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 14 September 2000).]

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Originally posted by Jim Evans:
The September issue of Quality Digest has a buyers guide for consultants starting on page 58. Be very careful in choosing one of the fast track packaged plans.
On the other hand, should you decide to consider a consultant give me a call. I dare say I have the experience and am probably significantly less expensive than the 'big boys'.

By the way - Implementation_ISO9K.pdf in the pdf_files directory may be of interest to you.
Elsmar.com/pdf_files/

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 14 September 2000).]

R

Roger Eastin

Jim - yeah, I agree that packaged plans have considerable risks with them and you mentioned one of the risks. I think there is something to be said for a more methodical approach to implementing an ISO-based system. It should include a wholistic management approach, emphasizing the value-added portions of the standard. However, if you are under the gun to get a system installed quickly (by your customer), I guess a packaged approach might work. By the way, I've read in one of the Cayman forums before that Perry Johnson is one of those companies offering packaged plans. I'm sure there are others out there willing to offer the same thing. But, as has been stated before, "Buyer beware!!"

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
gunnyshore Adding a new facility - do I need to submit an amendment to the MDL or MDEL, or both? Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
N Looking for Gamma sterilization facility in China ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Starting an ISO 41001:2018 Facility management system Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
M How do you Audit an Distribution Facility according to MAQMSR IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S FDA Registration food facility - We operate under CGMP guidelines US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
D Scope of Facility - Our auditor asked us last week for our "Scope of the Facility" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
Y Performing product audits in a manufacturing facility Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
M Informational FDA Preps for Device Shortages as Another Sterilization Facility Will Close Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B ISO 13485 Transferring a product from manufacturing facility 1 to manufacturing facility 2 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
supadrai Aviation MRO Project facility coming to U-Tapao airport in Thailand - Help Career and Occupation Discussions 2
Edward Reesor Design owner: The line between inventor and manufacturing facility Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
J Facility Expansion and ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
A Machine Relocation within Facility - Is re-validation required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
C Documenting Cleaning Production Lines in Medical Device Pkg facility ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Documenting Cleaning Production Lines in Medical Device Pkg facility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
C Documenting Cleaning Production Lines in Medical Device Pkg facility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
shrutisancheti Upgrading medical device at healthcare establishments (user facility) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Sidney Vianna ISO 41001:2018 - System Standard for Facility Management Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
A Medical Device manufacturing Facility Test audit IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
optomist1 Military Test Facility Certification Requirements Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
Jane's Should the facility landlord be an approved supplier? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
P Secondary packaging operations in medical device facility Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
K Change of Sterilization Vendors / Facility US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S Plant within a Plant - Does anyone currently manage their facility this way? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
B ISO 9001:2015 8.4 External Providers - If work is transferred to a separate facility ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M IATF 16949 - 7.1.3.1 Plant, Facility, and Equipment Planning - Interpretation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
6 Craft Beer StartUp Facility Design Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
I NADCAP In Manufacturing Facility with Small Laboratory - Measurement & Inspection AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
F Setting up a new sterilization unit in a new facility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
V Site Master File for multiple business units within same premises/facility Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
S Does a Research facility require DEA registration ? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
L Quality Plan to decommission a Medical Device Facility Decommissioning and Transfer Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
T Subletting space in a facility and certifications Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
C Service and maintenance in an initial importer facility USA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
J MR Testing Facility recommendations in US, Germany, or Asia US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
J Looking for Testing facility to do testing of x ray sensors for us US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
quality1 Can a non AS9100 facility build a Aerospace product? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M TS16949 Design Exclusion when Design is done in a different Facility ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
H FDA/PMA/Medical Device/Before submission/Manufacturing facility change US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S FDA facility Registration Imported Legacy Blogs 2
M Building Production / Manufacturing Facility for Class 2 Medical Device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S Temporary Facility Used For Production - Use of existing Third Party Logos ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Marc Pipe Break At Coal Facility Contaminates West Virginia Waterway Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 0
T Is Testing in a Third Party Facility Subcontracting? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Auto Parts Warehousing Facility ISO 14001 Significant Aspects ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 23
L Warning Letter adressed to owner/operator or facility? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
D AS9100 - Who Determines What This Applies To In My Facility? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
S Question on Device Listing for a FDA registered facility US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
S FDA Facility Establishment Identifier (FEI) question US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
M A traditional 510K or Special 510K - Manufacturing facility and other changes US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 16