New Presidential Executive Order for United States Federal Agencies

Randy

Super Moderator
Well it's not that it has been ignored, I have determined what might be 2 basic causes for slow activity that may have many more sub-causes that could be assigned:

1. There has been something on the plate of most US Federal agencies, either directly or indirectly, that has been given a greater priority and it started on 9-11-01. Wouldn't you agee to that?

2. Most agencies, because they are what they are, what they do and how things work, are just plain slow at making decisions. This isn't a political statement. The complexity of regulations, laws, court rulings, internal decision making processes, territoriality (internal especially), understanding, and many other factors, has contributed to the stalling of meeting the requirement.

I can personally say that I have been involved with US Federal agency training and systems auditing for a number of years. Many agency facilities, to verify their meeting of EO 13148, have sought and obtained accredited 3rd party registration of their EMS. Look across the DoD, EPA, DOE, USPO and NASA for examples. You can also look at the NSA, DOT, and soon TSA to name a few more. But remember, these guys are real busy with other things too, so what they have done up to now along with everything else is commendable.

I didn't mention the above agencies because of my personal relationship, but from what I have found out from simple internet searches for EMS information.

Now, will the new EO change anything? Whose to tell?

J

jmilhome - 2010

Randy, I totally agree with you. My comment was based on what a reasonable number of auditors have told me… and the general sense is of disappointment. There are some good examples like DoD but most agencies have been very slow. It has been 8 years since EO 13148 !!! I guess the reason for that, as you mentioned, is how slow these agencies move. Not sure that is a reasonable excuse. How much time did the automotive industry suppliers have to get certified? And I am sure they were pretty busy too.

I am not attempting to politicize or criticize this issue at all. Like yourself, I would like to see the number of organizations adopting EMSs grow substantially and I just can’t see how this new EO will change anything.

A while back I contacted you about the study I am doing but we never set up a time to talk. Please drop me a line if you are still interested in sharing some wisdom.

Randy

Super Moderator
Here's a fact sheet that coincides with Executive Order 13423.

Attachments

• EO 13423 Fact Sheet.pdf
    57.3 KB · Views: 226
C

chaosweary

Wow I can envision President Bush and Al Gore holding hands singing Kum Ba Yah! :D

B

BSMITH

Randy, I totally agree with you. My comment was based on what a reasonable number of auditors have told me… and the general sense is of disappointment. There are some good examples like DoD but most agencies have been very slow. It has been 8 years since EO 13148 !!! I guess the reason for that, as you mentioned, is how slow these agencies move. Not sure that is a reasonable excuse. How much time did the automotive industry suppliers have to get certified? And I am sure they were pretty busy too.

I am not attempting to politicize or criticize this issue at all. Like yourself, I would like to see the number of organizations adopting EMSs grow substantially and I just can’t see how this new EO will change anything.

A while back I contacted you about the study I am doing but we never set up a time to talk. Please drop me a line if you are still interested in sharing some wisdom.

I have been meaning to address this thread of discussions for a while. First of all, strictly from an EMS perspective, I don't see this new Executive Order adding much additional from E.O. 13148, except to say "me too" from the Bush Administration. It still does not require certification of individual facilties; however, what it does do is to add some very prescriptive national-level objectives and targets.

For those that don't know me, I probably have the most experience auditing, training, and implementing EMSs in Federal agencies on this Board, with no apologies to Randy. I retired in December 2005 as Environmental Manager of a U.S. Department of Energy office in New Orleans after 30 years in Federal Government. While with DOE, I audited DOE facility EMSs since 1997, was loaned out to do integrated ES&H audits at other DOE facilities, was loaned out to lead EPA audits of other Federal agencies (VA, GSA) as part of their long-term EMR (Environmental Management Review) program, taught Lead Auditor courses for Federal agencies, and served as EMS Management Representative for my own facility. I now work for 2 registrars doing EMS, QMS, and OHSMS audits, teach EMS, QMS, and OHSMS Lead Auditor courses (including EMS courses geared specifically to Federal agencies), and teach Environmental Management courses for the University of New Orleans. I have recently audited DOE and NASA contractors and have taught courses for DOE and the Army.

I think that there are a few misconceptions on this Board; neither Executive Order required certifications for ISO 14001, but both required implementation of an EMS (not specifically ISO 14001). Since about 1994, the Federal Government has been actively involved in developing the standard itself and individual departments and agencies have held numerous conferences, meetings, and training sessions on EMSs. Some agencies have either required ISO 14001 certification or have strongly encouraged individual facilities to become certified and/or to require their contractors to become certified. Some have developed their own EMS standards based on ISO 14001, with some specific compliance requirements and prescriptive national objectives and targets. In particular, EPA, DOE and NASA have been leaders in EMS development for the Federal Government. Many DOE and NASA faciliites have become certified for Federal employees and/or contractor employees.

Randy

Super Moderator
I really looked at EO 13423 and it supercedes 13148 and 4 other EO's...they don't exist any more.

B

BSMITH

I really looked at EO 13423 and it supercedes 13148 and 4 other EO's...they don't exist any more.

You are correct, although generally Executive Orders aren't eliminated until they are replaced. I know of an Executive Order (11593) from the Nixon Administration (Protection and enhancement of the cultural environment) that is still actively utilized. The deadlines listed in E.O. 13148 have all passed.

There is a summary of Federal agencies and EMSs at: https://www.fedcenter.gov/programs/EMS/

Top Bottom