New Service Offer - MDR's Person Responsible for Regulatory Compliance

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
To anyone interested, I'm offering "micro and small enterprises" (see below) and EU Authorised Representatives (EU reps) the service of being "permanently and continuously at their disposal" as their "Person responsible for regulatory compliance".

Background

The new MDR (Regulation EU 2017/745) requires, in its Article 15 (text irrelevant to this offer omitted and relevant emphasis added):

1. Manufacturers shall have available within their organisation at least one person responsible for regulatory compliance who possesses the requisite expertise in the field of medical devices. The requisite expertise shall be demonstrated by either of the following qualifications:

(a) a diploma, certificate or other evidence of formal qualification, awarded on completion of a university degree or of a course of study recognised as equivalent by the Member State concerned, in law, medicine, pharmacy, engineering or another relevant scientific discipline, and at least one year of professional experience in regulatory affairs or in quality management systems relating to medical devices;

(b) four years of professional experience in regulatory affairs or in quality management systems relating to medical devices.

(...)

2. Micro and small enterprises within the meaning of Commission Recommendation 2003/361/EC shall not be required to have the person responsible for regulatory compliance within their organisation but shall have such person permanently and continuously at their disposal.

3. The person responsible for regulatory compliance shall at least be responsible for ensuring that:

(a) the conformity of the devices is appropriately checked, in accordance with the quality management system under which the devices are manufactured, before a device is released;

(b) the technical documentation and the EU declaration of conformity are drawn up and kept up-to-date;

(c) the post-market surveillance obligations are complied with in accordance with Article 10(10);

(d) the reporting obligations referred to in Articles 87 to 91 are fulfilled;

(e) in the case of investigational devices, the statement referred to in Section 4.1 of Chapter II of Annex XV is issued.

(...)

6. Authorised representatives shall have permanently and continuously at their disposal at least one person responsible for regulatory compliance who possesses the requisite expertise regarding the regulatory requirements for medical devices in the Union. The requisite expertise shall be demonstrated by either of the following qualifications:

(a) a diploma, certificate or other evidence of formal qualification, awarded on completion of a university degree or of a course of study recognised as equivalent by the Member State concerned, in law, medicine, pharmacy, engineering or another relevant scientific discipline, and at least one year of professional experience in regulatory affairs or in quality management systems relating to medical devices;

(b) four years of professional experience in regulatory affairs or in quality management systems relating to medical devices.
According to Recommendation 2003/361/EC (Annex Title I Article 2), Small and Micro Enterprises are defined:

...a small enterprise is defined as an enterprise which employs fewer than 50 persons and whose annual turnover and/or annual balance sheet total does not exceed EUR 10 million.
...a micro enterprise is defined as an enterprise which employs fewer than 10 persons and whose annual turnover and/or annual balance sheet total does not exceed EUR 2 million.
Full details about eligibility under those terms are available in Recommendation 2003/361/EC. I will be glad to assist any interested organisation with the analysis and determination of whether they qualify.

The offer

I am offering to engage with interested parties, on a contract basis, for ongoing provision of services as described above in item 3 (a) to (e) inclusive.

I have the requisite expertise for serving as the Person responsible for regulatory compliance, both on behalf of micro and small enterprises and of EU reps, since:

- I have a university degree in Engineering (mechanical); and
- I have (a lot) over 4 years of professional experience in regulatory affairs and in quality management systems relating to medical devices.

In general I envision provision of this (new) service by way of on-site review / audit and, as necessary, either on-site or off-site follow-up to close any identified gaps, for an annual fee (TBD). I believe that an annual cycle should suffice, however a semi-annual cycle can be considered according to the circumstances. In between site visits I will be available, continuously, for remote routine consultation concerning the scope above (item 3 (a) to (e)). Anyway, all details are open to negotiation.

Please send me a private message if interested.

Kind regards,
Ronen.

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Edward Reesor

Trusted Information Resource
I see this as an excellent service for the extremely small companies (if 'micro' is 10 people or less, I guess you'd call it 'nano' or even 'pico' if there was only one employee). I had a discussion with someone who worked with a NB and he mentioned that there are many single employee businesses who may get hammered with the new MDSAP, MDR and 13485:2016 requirements.

Best of luck assisting entrepreneurs getting through all of this.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I see this as an excellent service for the extremely small companies (if 'micro' is 10 people or less, I guess you'd call it 'nano' or even 'pico' if there was only one employee). I had a discussion with someone who worked with a NB and he mentioned that there are many single employee businesses who may get hammered with the new MDSAP, MDR and 13485:2016 requirements.

Best of luck assisting entrepreneurs getting through all of this.
Thanks for the comment, I tend to agree that heavy regulaition is especially tough for such "nano" businesses. However, the MDR specifies in multiple locations that certain requirements apply proportionally to the size/nature of the organisation and/or the risk level and nature of the device. From what I've seen one-man-operations and very small businesses usually don't deal with extra-complex or extra-risky devices; rather they're usually class I or IIa devices.

Cheers,
Ronen.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Just a quick question - how are you interpreting the requirement to be '..continuously at their disposal'?
Hi Cuffern,

Sorry for the late response, but better late than never!...

My view of the above is embodied in the arrangement I offered:
[...] by way of on-site review / audit and, as necessary, either on-site or off-site follow-up to close any identified gaps, for an annual fee (TBD). I believe that an annual cycle should suffice, however a semi-annual cycle can be considered according to the circumstances. In between site visits I will be available, continuously, for remote routine consultation concerning the scope above (item 3 (a) to (e)).
I believe that the article was intentionally worded so as to support small businesses, in allowing them to outsource that function with minimal rigidity concerning the organizational arrangement (i.e. employment or otherwise) and the PRRC's physical location (please note that the MDR text is silent WRT the latter). While the MDR was in the making (years...), there was much talk about how increasing regulatory burden is gradually killing small enterprises, diversity and innovation in medical devices, and I think that at least for this aspect (PRRC) everyone involved should be commended for coming up with a solution that is somewhat flexible.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J UL First to Offer ISO 14971 Registration Service ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
J EU 207/2012 E-IFU Service Video EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S How is the service life for class I reusable medical devices described in MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
S How is the service life described for class I reusable medical devices in MDR? Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
L AS9100 - Product and Service Provision 8.5.1q AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
JoCam Rental, service & installation - regulatory requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
E Qualification for non gmp service providers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
I Equipment service dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
H Operational planning and product and service provision when things happen so fast ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
C One Time Service Supplier - Temperature and Humidity Testing Service ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D IEC 60601-1 - Service life testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
D Device functionality over service life - Objective evidence required? Design and Development of Products and Processes 10
Q ISO 9001 8.5.1 - Control of production and service performance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
L Design & Development of a SERVICE Service Industry Specific Topics 13
N Evaluation of service providers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
N "Placing on the market" & "putting into service"- one time regulatory event or Continual supply event? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
samarth IVD manufacturer and service provider ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
C Quality Manager vs Warranty (service) Manager - Authorities & Responsibilities Customer Complaints 2
J Product Service after CE Certification expiration CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
T Nonconforming product at customer detected by a routine inspection by field service Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
S Service record requirements for Non-Serviceable Medical Devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
C Quality at Logistical Service Provider Service Industry Specific Topics 0
M Standards Subscription Service and Standards Tracking Service Pros and Cons? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
J NHS exemption - Benefits versus expectations in UK NHS service EU Medical Device Regulations 0
C ISO 9001:2015 Monitoring and measuring resources. Application a service industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
K Packaging and Damaged Parts returned from a Service Provider (Anodize) - Who is Responsible? Manufacturing and Related Processes 20
F 21 CFR Part 11 - Implicit requirements - Validation plan for a Software as a Service Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational From RAPS – Prep for Brexit: UK Seeks £25M Freight Service to Deliver Medicines, Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
C Determining if Maintenance Contractor is an External Service subject to ISO 9001 Clause 8.4 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
W Customer Signature / Acceptance Service Reports Service Industry Specific Topics 2
T Is anyone working with N299.1 (Supply/service to nuclear power plants)? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
Ed Panek Ideas to keep quotes for consulting service accurate on not inflated Consultants and Consulting 11
M Informational New Notified Body designated under the MDR – TÜV SÜD Product Service GmbH Zertifizierstellen Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
V Replaced part affecting service life? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
A Defining Expected Service Life in Risk Management File Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
T Transportation - External Service Provider ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Will you please help me with my academic project? Repair & calibration service for test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
S Product registration platforms - A service called Licensale by Arazy Group Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 0
K How to define Expected life service life of medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
A AS9100 D Counterfeit Prevention Program - We just service parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
W AS9120B 8.5.1 Control of Production and Service Provision AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
A ITSM (IT Service Management) Ticket Audit Template Service Industry Specific Topics 0
P REACH - BOMcheck.net - What I can expect from this service? REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
N Possibly worlds first customer service complaint Supply Chain Security Management Systems 0
D KPI's Data for Customer Service AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
shrutisancheti EU User manual / operator manual / service manual guidance document(s) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
R Medical Device, Warranty Influences Expected Service Life Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
Q GDPR consulting service for Medical device Company EU Medical Device Regulations 0
P Service provider for Medical Devices Repair & Service ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Service Industry - Scope of the QMS & Scope of Certification Service Industry Specific Topics 13