New Supplier implementation - PPAP vs APQP

adisc

Starting to get Involved
Hello,

I have situation in company, where Buyers would like to implement new Supplier to deliver one of the parts to already existing project. The purpose of this change is that the current Supplier does not meet our requirements and presents very poor quality. New Supplier will have to submit proper PPAP, but I would like to know if we can only speak about PPAP regarding to the new Supplier implementation to already existing project or we can speak also about APQP process? The dimension of the new part is the same as the old one, but drawing will be slighltly different (another plans, hopefully some more dimensions added). Or maybe APQP process conerns only to the new PROJECT implementation (with all the parts coming as a 'new')? If we can speak also about APQP process, what would be a difference between APQP and PPAP in such case?

I will take the opporunity to ask one more question, not exactly connected with this topic: I believe that during APQP process each of us having very different situations - what do you do if Supplier sends a PPAP reagarding to the concrete revision, but in the meantime Customer is changing revision (but only revision, without any other characteristics) - do you accept 'old' PPAP package, but add only 'new' PSW? And what if also 'characteristics' are changed - does the 'old' PPAP package is not valid anymore and Supplier must present new documentation? Also with the new parts to be checked?

Thank you in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
You can qualify your new supplier any way you want. I certainly would talk about APQP things as you're currently having quality issues. What makes you think the new supplier can do any better? You better find out before you go through the trouble of a switch.

As to the second question, it would depend on what the rev change was. If it's immaterial, a simple PSW would suffice. No reason to recreate the wheel.

adisc

Starting to get Involved
You can qualify your new supplier any way you want. I certainly would talk about APQP things as you're currently having quality issues. What makes you think the new supplier can do any better? You better find out before you go through the trouble of a switch.

As to the second question, it would depend on what the rev change was. If it's immaterial, a simple PSW would suffice. No reason to recreate the wheel.
Thank you for the answer Golfman25. Could you please let me know about APQP process in such case? How it will / should look like? What is the role of SQE in such process, except of evaluating PPAP documentation and eventual support in FAI?

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
pretty much agreeing with Golfman25...if its an automotive part/customer, etc., the SQE, Release Engineer and project repsonsible have latitude as to what the PPAP must consist of...and if the difference are its immaterial (no impact to FFF), then as Golfman25 states a PSW to address this may work

adisc

Starting to get Involved
OK, thanks. What about differences between APQP and PPAP in this case? As I understand APQP process it is more flexible, but what role of SQE is in that?

Golfman25

Thank you for the answer Golfman25. Could you please let me know about APQP process in such case? How it will / should look like? What is the role of SQE in such process, except of evaluating PPAP documentation and eventual support in FAI?
So I have had customers come to us and say "can you do this, our current supplier sucks." We look at it and after an honest exchange I can say yes we can or no we cant. If it's a design or tooling type flaw, the same laws of physics apply in my shop so it's unlikely we can do any different without some changes. So you want to be honest about what the quality issues are with the new supplier and as part of the APQP process see if they can be fixed.

ncwalker

To answer the question about APQP and PPAP:

APQP = Advanced Product Quality Planning
In the sense of the definition, Advanced being interpreted as "ahead of time" not the alternate definition of "complex". The APQP process is the outline of steps from the point of being awarded a job (a new product, taking over a job from another supplier, a new revision) that get you from the point of receiving a PO all the way to start of production.

PPAP = Production Part Approval Process
Focus on "Production." It does not answer the question "does the design work?" That's a different animal. The PPAP process is a means to approve the system or value stream that makes the Production Part.

They are different things, but not equivalent things. The PPAP is a piece of the APQP process. It's the capstone, how you prove you did it.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Roger that one of many pieces...and an important or key milestone/gate to achieving "launch nirvana"

John Predmore

Quite Involved in Discussions
What about differences between APQP and PPAP?
I worked 30 years in automotive and prepared or reviewed thousands of PPAP documents and conducted APQP under QS9000. Now I work in aerospace industry.

I wanted to share that the aerospace industry quality group IAQG (the counterpart to AIAG for the auto industry) is developing their own version of APQP. I think anyone interested in advancing quality can register as a member of IAQG at IAQG: Organization .

There are some excellent free training powerpoint slides and webinars in the IAQG Supply Chain Management Handbook. (I think you still have to pay for AIAG manuals. ) You do have to register for access to SCMH and agree to abide by their policy on intellectual property, but nothing overly exclusionary in the registration process.

The aerospace version of PPAP, AS-9102, is called First Article Inspection, which has a different look and feel from the AIAG PPAP. But the first edition of PPAP manual was printed in 1993 and there has been a lot of evolution in quality thinking in 25 years.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T ISO 14001 Implementation Help & Question about Supplier Approval ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
D Implementation Consultant: Supplier of Services Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
H QOS and Q1 Implementation - Supplier Meeting Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
R Supplier/Vendor Surveys (360) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 0
was named killer AS9100 Supplier Approval Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
B AS9100 8.4.1 Supplier Selection/Evaluation criteria and reevaluations AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Supplier Audit Report - Template for second party audit wanted Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
T Difference between a subcontractor and a supplier ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
Ed Panek Corona Virus impact on Supplier Audits and Received Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
NDesouza Verification of Supplier RCCAs Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
K Supply Agreement Regarding MDR 2017/745 - Manufacturer-supplier cooperation Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
L How to deal with an ISO 13485 Supplier Audit nonconformance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
P Supplier Audits in the wake of COVID-19 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
T Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
B Vendor (Supplier) Evaluations and Reports Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
F Is there such a thing as 'Critical supplier' status under the Dept. of Health (UK)? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
A MSA results differences - Supplier results vs. My results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
G Supplier flowdown verification of tests and revisions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 0
B Supplier of design and manufacture process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
S Software for Supplier Charge back and internal PPM General Information Resources 2
R IATF/IAOB Red Supplier Pilot Program IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Changing supplier of critical raw material (III class device) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
S VW Supplier Product Safety Representative (PSB) upgrade to PSCR VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
S Process Map for Supplier Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
D Licensee as a Supplier on the ASL Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 10
R Definition Key Supplier - Definition of Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 7
V IATF 16949 8.4.1 Control of externally provided processes, products and services - Should the CB be on our Approved Supplier List? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
M Risk Classification For Supplier - Clinical Research Organisation (CRO) Supply Chain Security Management Systems 3
shimonv Rigid rules for handling supplier audit findings ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
G Supplier Checking With Gauge Pin Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2
R AS9100 DELTA FAI - Sub-supplier for plating changed AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
P IATF 16949 8.4.2.4 Supplier Monitoring IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A Supplier Quality Standard vs Senior Management Direction Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
R Supplier evaluation and business needs in the context of ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J IATF 16949 8.4.1.2 Supplier selection process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q Supplier audit question cataloque VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
Ed Panek Inactive key supplier question - We are not actively buying from them ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Ajit Basrur Quality Agreement with supplier covering medical devices and consumer requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
K Supplier re-evaluation (API Q1) Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
C Approving AWS as a supplier (ISO 13485) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R Supplier related drawings and verification of process requirements - Source Inspection AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
Q AS9120 Vendor of ESD Monitoring Equipment needs to be in the Approved Supplier List? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
R Supplier Controls we can place on Single-Source Suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
N Declaration of Conformity for Product from Supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Supplier selection criteria - Medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Ed Panek Can a single supplier fit two or more categories for risk? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
V Determining FDA 820 (registration) vs ISO 13485 - Supplier gives us the kit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
G ISO 22442 Supplier Audit Checklist - Medical devices utilizing animal tissues General Auditing Discussions 0