SBS - The best value in QMS software

New thread ring cannot be threaded onto the truncated part of the master

D

Dale D. Barnes

Here is a question to go along with this thread.:lmao: I purchased new thread ring gages and new master set plugs. How come every time I receive a new thread ring it is so tight it cannot be threaded onto the truncated part of the master. I have double checked myself many times to make sure the master is correct. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Dale

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wayne

Gage Crib Worldwide
Default Re: New thread ring cannot be threaded onto truncated part of the master

Here is a question to go along with this thread.:lmao: I purchased new thread ring gages and new master set plugs. How come every time I receive a new thread ring it is so tight it cannot be threaded onto the truncated part of the master. I have double checked myself many times to make sure the master is correct. Any thoughts?
Dale, yes, I have two thoughts:

1. If the ring and set plug are for standard stocked sizes, it is totally possible that the two were not set together by the gage maker before they were shipped. The gage maker may have just pulled the two components from stock and shipped them. In that situation, the probability that the ring will fit the set plug is almost zero. The relationship between the ring gage and the set plug is a metal to metal fit. The set plug tolerance is 0.0003", or something similar, for a class X set plug. As you know, no two pieces are ever made to the same exact size. When you get standard ring gages, the gages are set to their in-house masters, which are most likely made to class W, and which is not the class X set plug that is pulled from the shelf as product. To fix this situation, request that the ring be set to the set plug by the gage maker before shipment. There may be a charge for this service on standard size gages.

2. If the gages have been set together, either by request or because you have ordered a special, before plate or oversize ring gage, you may experience a problem because the gage maker is determined to have a metal to metal fit. Their daily experience with this seems to build the muscles of the technician to the point where what he would call a light drag, you or I would call an interference fit. The amount of drag is variable depending on if you are Betty Boop, or Popeye on spinach.

Regardless of the reason, if the ring does not go on the set plug, reset the ring to fit your set plug if you feel compelled to do so. If the gage is certified, and you do not need it to fit your set plug at this time, use it as is and reset the ring at the first calibration.

Hope this answers your question.

D

Dale D. Barnes

Default Re: New thread ring cannot be threaded onto truncated part of the master

Thanks Wayne,

After reading some on that this weekend I kind of thought on those lines I just couldn't rationalize there being that much of a difference. The rings and the masters were bought about a week apart so the rings were not set to my masters.

Thanks again :thanx:
Dale

Wayne

Gage Crib Worldwide
Re: New thread ring cannot be threaded onto truncated part of the master

You are welcome, Dale. I am glad I could help.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Thread Tolerance - Can I use a 3A Ring on a part that the drawing calls out for a 2A? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
S Thread Ring Gauge verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
M Calibration of Thread Plugs and Ring Gages - Various Thread Standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C Manufacturing Thread Ring Gages Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
C Measuring Solid Thread Ring Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 17
P Best Method of Cleaning of Thread Ring Gages Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
kedarg6500 Availability of 5/8" 17.75 TPI Thread Ring Gauge & Die Nut Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
M Thread Ring Gauge Specifications General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K Calibration Requirements for Thread and Ring Gages AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
S Thread Timing - Ring Gage Frustration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
C Adjustable Thread Ring Gage Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
D ISO/Metric Solid Thread Ring Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R Thread Measurement - Basics on Thread Plug and Ring Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
J Thread Ring Gauge UNJ vs UN General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
L Calibration of ring thread gauge with master gauge: How to calculate Uncertainty? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T Calibration and Control - Need help with plug, ring, and thread plug gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
Q Tolerance Set Plugs to Calibrate Thread Ring Gage - Question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
U Calibration House - Where I can get a PG 13.5 Gut thread ring gage calibrated? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G Calibration of 200 sets of Thread Ring Gages - Return them to the manufacturer? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
G API REG Pin and Box Threading - Minimum Gages Needed - Thread, Plug and Ring gauges? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
P Thread Ring Gages - Discrepancies - Is the manufacturer specification wrong? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Calibration, should we.... Go-No-Go, thread, pin, and ring gauges QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
D Accurately measuring Full Thread Length Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
DuncanGibbons Additive Manufacturing Processes Thread Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
V Thread Plug Gage Pitch GO Diameter out of spec AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
C Aluminum galling on thread plug gauge Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
ScottK Measuring thread flank angle on a screw Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
G Oversized Threads - What sized stab pin would be best to quickly check for oversized thread holes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
H Thread Plug Gauge Tolerances General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
A Cost effective thread gaging with ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
APHX02 Thread Roll Process Verification w/in AS9100 (i.e. BSP-F-69/AS8879) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Error trying to Start a New Thread Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 2
M NPT thread gauging and the "rapping" process Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Marc Basic - How to Start a New Discussion Thread Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
S What the difference is between Stub Acme & Acme thread? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
Marc Printable Discussion Thread View Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
O Thread Diameter as a Datum Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
O ISO 9001:2015 Transition Internal Audit completion thread ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
R Thread plug chip groove - Thread plugs without the chip groove General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
S Unique ID Required for Thread Gage Replacements? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
P Thread recommendation for Cast Iron part Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
K Thread callout - M22 x 1.0-6H 0.100R Thread Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
4 In-House Thread Wire Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
E External Thread Cosmetic/Appearance Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
C Thread Gage Training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
G Sequence and Frequency of Calibration for Thread Gauges General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A Product Impact When Thread Rings Require Adjustment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
kedarg6500 How to calculate Thread Pitch Diameter for non standard TPI like 5/8" 17.75 NF3 Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
I How to determine the thread wire size needed - Buttress Thread Gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Roll Form Thread Standard Manufacturing and Related Processes 7