New to AS9100 Rev. C - Setting KPIs and FAI Reports

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
Re: New to As9100 Rev C - Setting KPIs and FAI Reports

Thanks for the replies, i am looking into it a little further, All our KPI's are as follows, On time delivery, Right first time ( non-conforming parts), New customers over a year period and Return of quotations in a time limit. So we are only measuring 4 KPI's. Please take into account we only employ 8 people( big in terms of a specialized stand a lone grinding shop)? So AS9100 is a bit much for our size ? Considering we only carry out a process and we do not make anything from scratch??:notme: All in put welcome :thanx:

Not making things from scratch doesn't prevent you from implementing the practices of AS9100C in your work place, and neither does the number of people you have. One of the most important things to realize is that AS9100C is a framework, not a set of rules. Your QMS is your QMS, and you make it suit your business. This is the reason why companies that copy and paste someone else's quality manual or system are doomed to fail; each company is unique.

Don't be so concerned about how many KPI's you have - the focus should be on which ones are important to you. Some other metrics you can consider (just going to throw some out there):

- NC parts response time. Tracking how many is fine, but how long does it take to resolve the issues?
- Corrective action performance. How many are late? Average time to close?
- Training metrics.
- Product Conformity (RMA's), Warranty or Complaints. This comes under customer satisfaction, a definite KPI.
- Supplier Quality (NCM's and Supplier CARs). Are your suppliers screwing up or sending you your materials late? How do you know the degree of any problems?

KPI's need targets in order to assess effectivity. I'm curious about your metric for new customers over the year; what is your target for that? What will you do if you are trending below your target, and is action only taken if your are trending below your target? My take on it is that the only time you'd stop searching for new customers is when you've reached your capacity.

Remember: just because something can be measured doesn't necessarily mean it should be. Also keep in mind that not all metrics are KPIs.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
P

phillips25m

Re: New to As9100 Rev C - Setting KPIs and FAI Reports

Ok so, i am slowly getting to were i want to go and basically tweaking our QM from the one we have had done by a consultant, to what we should have. The KPI i am now going to change to suit us! The problem i have is in our QM in General Requirements (4.1) we have no mention of KPI'S at all?? The only reference to Kpi's that are mentioned are in the Quality Objectives section as bullet points. Now do i put a little section in 4.1 listing them, how, when and why? Or do the same in the Objectives??

Big Jim

Admin
You don't need to get hung up with placing topics according to its position in the standard. You can simply have a list and place it near the front where many put the scope statement, quality objectives, and quality policy. The quality manual is yours, so you pretty much get to build it as you like as long as you make sure it meets the requirements of 4.2.2.

If you want to put them in place according to the standard, my choice would be 8.2.3, as KPI are used to help with monitoring and measuring your processes.

If you align your KPI with your quality objective, put them in 5.4.

If you intend the KPI to be aligned with the quality objectives, monitoring and measuring processes, and answer analysis of data, put them in 8.4.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
You don't need to get hung up with placing topics according to its position in the standard. You can simply have a list and place it near the front where many put the scope statement, quality objectives, and quality policy. The quality manual is yours, so you pretty much get to build it as you like as long as you make sure it meets the requirements of 4.2.2.

If you want to put them in place according to the standard, my choice would be 8.2.3, as KPI are used to help with monitoring and measuring your processes.

If you align your KPI with your quality objective, put them in 5.4.

If you intend the KPI to be aligned with the quality objectives, monitoring and measuring processes, and answer analysis of data, put them in 8.4.

Thanks BIG JIM;

or

You could make a reference to 8.4 Analysis of Date and explain that they are discussed at management Review and communicated (5.5.3 Internal Communication) to the shop.

The point is that there are many avenues you could take in your QM - but as BIG JIM stated - meet the requirements of 4.2.2

P

phillips25m

Hi All

Can I take this chance to say a BIG Thank you for all your input and help? I have just had my visit off our auditor and i have now finished and closed all our NC's off and can proudly say we are now accredit with AS9100 Rev C and awaiting our certificate. :applause::applause::agree1::yes::agree:

Top Bottom