Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

New to FAIR, need help in filling it out

Stefanos Papadakis

Involved In Discussions
Hello everyone, so I am relatively new to the FAIR procedure and no one in the company I work for can actually help me. I have some questions regarding the completion of the FAI.
First of all I have a TDP in my hands about an assembly consisting of approx. 15 parts. Our customer needs a FAI only for the assembly, having in mind that the product is made according to some standards as stated in the TDP. The TDP states that the assembly has to be delivered with some parts (bearings, o-rings) included.
Question 1: Do I have to write in FORM 1 the parts that the assembly consists of?(No FAI is done for them)
Question 2: In FORM 2, do I write all the raw materials, bearings and o-rings included?
Question 3: Bearings, o-rings and finish processes that are included have to go in FORM 3 and FORM 2 or in one of them only?

Hi Stefanos,

I also have went through the FAIR just recently. Hope I can help you with my answer below:

Question 1: Yes - you need to list all the components of assembly parts and not all of them are required to have FAIR of them depending on the components. FAIR of the components are not required, seems applicable in your case, if those are the standard or catalog product. If you also produce the components as well, you might need to have FAIR of components but better check with the customer.
Question 2: Yes - all the raw materials of which assembly is made. No need for raw material of components, that shall be listed in components FAIR.
Question 3: In FORM 3, you list all the design characteristics required in the drawing. If components of assembly are stated on the TDP, you need to "balloon" them as design characteristics and list in the FORM 3.

Stefanos Papadakis

Involved In Discussions
Hi Stefanos,

I also have went through the FAIR just recently. Hope I can help you with my answer below:

Question 1: Yes - you need to list all the components of assembly parts and not all of them are required to have FAIR of them depending on the components. FAIR of the components are not required, seems applicable in your case, if those are the standard or catalog product. If you also produce the components as well, you might need to have FAIR of components but better check with the customer.
Question 2: Yes - all the raw materials of which assembly is made. No need for raw material of components, that shall be listed in components FAIR.
Question 3: In FORM 3, you list all the design characteristics required in the drawing. If components of assembly are stated on the TDP, you need to "balloon" them as design characteristics and list in the FORM 3.
Thank you very much for your help! Should I have any questions I will comment again. Have a great day!

McQueenster

Starting to get Involved
Hi Stefanos,

Thank you for posting these questions. I am new to the FAIR process and the answers provided by riho1 have been very helpful .

I will be going through the FAIR (First Article Inspection Report) process with a new product in the next 2 months and wonder if you can answer a couple of questions I have for you:
Q1 Which specific standard is calling up FAIR (i.e. is it Mil Spec, Def std, customer requirements spec, etc).
Q2 Where can I find the templates you refer to as Form1, Form 2 and Form 3?
Q3 What does TDP mean? I expect I have another name / acronym for this.

Stefanos Papadakis

Involved In Discussions
Hi Stefanos,

Thank you for posting these questions. I am new to the FAIR process and the answers provided by riho1 have been very helpful .

I will be going through the FAIR (First Article Inspection Report) process with a new product in the next 2 months and wonder if you can answer a couple of questions I have for you:
Q1 Which specific standard is calling up FAIR (i.e. is it Mil Spec, Def std, customer requirements spec, etc).
Q2 Where can I find the templates you refer to as Form1, Form 2 and Form 3?
Q3 What does TDP mean? I expect I have another name / acronym for this.
Q1: We do it according to customer requirements but I think AS9002 includes the FAIR
Q2: At IAQG site you will find the FAIR template
Q3: TDP means Technical Data Package

I'd just like to chime in here to provide additional information that be helpful to those of you first starting out with FAIR's. The standard that governs the requirements is AS9102, currently at Rev. B. The document is 22 pages long and contains helpful information such as explanations of each component to the FAI. It's important to also understand that there are two things it is not, the first is a standard to be audited to much like you would be with AS9100, it is only for reference to the requirements that are expected of you or whoever else is completing the FAI package. The second is that it is not an in-depth guide on how to complete a first article. While there are specific requirements on each of the 3 Forms, there are plenty of cases where each of your customers may request or require additional information and therefore it should be used a guideline more than a playbook. As other users have mentioned there are resources out there to access template versions of the forms, however just like the rules that govern the requirements of fields the forms should contain you are free to create your own version of the form package which most companies do provided all the required information is present and readily available for verification. Most companies that create their own versions of the forms keep the format very similar, with minor changes to shape, size, color or length, and most add their company logos to the forms for quick identification. Believe it or not there is quite a bit of information out there for free which can be of use to understand other nuances to FAIs. If you perform a simple Google search you can access most of the content within a few clicks. Most primes or sub-primes have already created extensive documents to cover their requirements in great detail and I've found that if you learn how they perform their FAIs or how they expect their supply base to perform them then you are generally covered for smaller outfits. Search for something along the lines of "First article inspection training" or "first article inspection pdf" and you'd be amazed with what you'll find. Good luck!

I'd just like to chime in here to provide additional information that be helpful to those of you first starting out with FAIR's. The standard that governs the requirements is AS9102, currently at Rev. B. The document is 22 pages long and contains helpful information such as explanations of each component to the FAI. It's important to also understand that there are two things it is not, the first is a standard to be audited to much like you would be with AS9100, it is only for reference to the requirements that are expected of you or whoever else is completing the FAI package. The second is that it is not an in-depth guide on how to complete a first article. While there are specific requirements on each of the 3 Forms, there are plenty of cases where each of your customers may request or require additional information and therefore it should be used a guideline more than a playbook. As other users have mentioned there are resources out there to access template versions of the forms, however just like the rules that govern the requirements of fields the forms should contain you are free to create your own version of the form package which most companies do provided all the required information is present and readily available for verification. Most companies that create their own versions of the forms keep the format very similar, with minor changes to shape, size, color or length, and most add their company logos to the forms for quick identification. Believe it or not there is quite a bit of information out there for free which can be of use to understand other nuances to FAIs. If you perform a simple Google search you can access most of the content within a few clicks. Most primes or sub-primes have already created extensive documents to cover their requirements in great detail and I've found that if you learn how they perform their FAIs or how they expect their supply base to perform them then you are generally covered for smaller outfits. Search for something along the lines of "First article inspection training" or "first article inspection pdf" and you'd be amazed with what you'll find. Good luck!
Agree to qualitykungfu. There are a lot of information you can pick from online although not all of them provides complete information. The reason for it is 1. it can depend on the customer requirements on how they want suppliers to fill their FAIR and 2. there is so many different types of product can FAIR be applied.
Also, it is always good to communicate to the customer and ask questions about it. At the end, the customer will decide if the FAIR info you provide is sufficient or not.

Top Bottom