Newbie, easy to follow guide for organizing/assembling very first PPAP booklet

B

bfore

[FONT=&quot]I have compiled the information from a previous post of mine from DrM2U and Jim Wynne and made a[/FONT][FONT=&quot] sorta short form guideline to creating my PPAP submission book and a short[/FONT][FONT=&quot] explanation what should be in each section of the book...This could be helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] to newbies like me and others assembling a PPAP submission for the first time It has helped me thus far.....[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Please correct, add or modify this list in anyway that seems[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]appropriate...Again, this is for me...but could help some other folks out too!! :)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Pardon me if any of this seems ignorant...i'm most definitely a green horn and trying to[/FONT][FONT=&quot] make my way thru this process and learn it with the help of the folks here at Elsmar...I[/FONT][FONT=&quot] appreciate everyone's input, help, advice
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]DESIGN RECORD[/FONT]
-Design record: you need to have a copy of the print(s) for the part you are making, the latest revision specified by the customer, ideally 'ballooned' to cross-reference to the layout report dimensions
[FONT=&quot]2.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ENGINEERING CHANGE DOCUMENTS[/FONT]
-ECN's: any ECN's showing the change from previous revision to the current one (usually provided by the customer unless you are design responsible)
[FONT=&quot]3. CUSTOMER ENGINEERING APPROVAL[/FONT]
- Customer Engineering approval: if the customer needs to approve anything (i.e. materials, suppliers, components, etc)
[FONT=&quot]4. DESIGN FMEA[/FONT]
- DFMEA: must perform if you are design responsible, otherwise it COULD be provided by the customer sometimes
[FONT=&quot]5. PROCESS FLOW DIAGRAM[/FONT]
- Process flow diagram: YOUR outline of the process or processes employed to produce the product,
from receiving to shipping and anything else in between (i.e. storage, molding, packaging, etc)
[FONT=&quot]6. PROCESS FMEA[/FONT]
- PFMEA: YOUR analysis for each process step; I suggest doing one for each process step if you have processes
common to other product (i.e. receiving, shipping, material handling)
[FONT=&quot]7. CONTROL PLAN [/FONT]
- Control Plan: your controls for each process; use the PFMEA and DFMEA as inputs; follow the same approach as the PFMES (i.e. one for each process)
[FONT=&quot]8. MEASUREMENT SYSTEMS ANALYSIS[/FONT]
- MSA studies: usually gage R&R studies for the inspection equipment used to inspect this product and/or to control process parameters; the MSA manual can guide you through
[FONT=&quot]9. DIMENSIONAL RESULTS [/FONT]
- Dimensional results: full dimensional results report per customer's print; ask the customer for how many parts, usually 1/cavity
[FONT=&quot]10. MATERIAL PERFORMANCE TEST RESULTS[/FONT]
-Material testing, material & component certs (i.e. Dow Chemical laboratory certifying a raw material),
IMDS
[FONT=&quot]11. INITIAL PROCESS STUDIES[/FONT]
-Process capability for normal distribution processes must be from 100 samples (20 subgroups of 5 parts)
randomly selected out of a 300 piece run unless otherwise authorized by the customer quality representative
[FONT=&quot]12. QUALIFIED LABORATORY DOCUMENTATION[/FONT]
- Qualified laboratory: copies of accreditation certs AND scope for any laboratory used for product testing, material testing
[FONT=&quot]13. APPEARANCE APPROVAL REPORT (AAR)[/FONT]
- AAR report: required for parts where final appearance is to be certified by customer (ie. Color, texture)
[FONT=&quot]14. SAMPLE PRODUCT[/FONT]
- Sample product: from significant sample run as specified by the customer
[FONT=&quot]15. MASTER SAMPLE[/FONT]
Master sample: a sample retained on site for reference purposes from the significant sample product run; in addition to the Sample Product quantity, preferably the samples used for “dimensional layouts”
[FONT=&quot]16. CHECKING AIDS[/FONT]
- Checking aids: submit calibration/verification records for any device used specifically to check the part in question Note: the requirement is to submit the device as well as the documentation, if requested by the customer.
[FONT=&quot]17. RECORDS OF COMPLIANCE WITH CUSTOMER SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS[/FONT]
- Records of compliance with the customer's specific requirements: usually a copy of your ISO 9001 or TS 16949 registration certificate, unless the customer has additional requirements
[FONT=&quot]18. PART SUBMISSION WARRANT (PSW)[/FONT]
- PSW: the completed PSW form; there is a copy on the PPAP manual if needed

O

Oskar_S

2.ENGINEERING CHANGE DOCUMENTS
-ECN's: any ECN's showing the change from previous revision to the current one (usually provided by the customer unless you are design responsible)
3. CUSTOMER ENGINEERING APPROVAL
- Customer Engineering approval: if the customer needs to approve anything (i.e. materials, suppliers, components, etc)

I have some questions about the text above.

I thought ECN meant that if you make a change in the design and don´t have the time or effort to change the drawings immediately, you write and use ECN until the changes have been recorded in the drawings. On the other hand your way seems also logical if the customers see different drawings each day, you just make a document explaining the difference between the drawings.

In my case we are designing the product yourself and there are no specific customer, can you then skip Customer engineering approval for a new product?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
2.ENGINEERING CHANGE DOCUMENTS
3. CUSTOMER ENGINEERING APPROVAL

I have some questions about the text above.

I thought ECN meant that if you make a change in the design and don´t have the time or effort to change the drawings immediately, you write and use ECN until the changes have been recorded in the drawings. On the other hand your way seems also logical if the customers see different drawings each day, you just make a document explaining the difference between the drawings.
There is no "ECN" category. On the PSW it's referred to as "Additional Engineering Changes," and in the 4th Edition PPAP manual it's (2.2.2) "Authorized Engineering Change Documents." It applies to "...documents for those changes not yet recorded in the design record but incorporated in the product, part or tooling." In other words, it applies to official documentation of changes incorporated in the product but not in the current drawing.

In my case we are designing the product yourself and there are no specific customer, can you then skip Customer engineering approval for a new product?
2.2.3 of the manual says, "Where specified by the customer the organization shall have evidence of customer engineering approval." The element applies only if your customer requires their own engineering approval of something prior to PPAP submission.

Top Bottom