Newbie, SME, non existent QMS going for ISO 9001:2008

R

roscoefriend

Hi All

I have been reading threads and files on the cove for the past few months trying to get my head around implementing a QMS in our organisation. There is so much great stuff on here!!!

I have been tasked with the implementation of ISO 9001:2008 in our company and have been on a ISO basics course as well as an ISO lead auditor course.

I still have NO IDEA where to even start. Trying to define our processes is extremely difficult as we are the head office and very little "operational" work is carried out in this location. We have remote offices in many countries that perform the ops while we perform an "overseeing" function.
The primary processes in this location i think are Business Management, Marketing/Business Development and an Account/Contract Management function.

Wer are a private security company with approximately 50 permanent employees worldwide and only 10 in the Head Office going for certification.

Any advice would be most welcome as to where to start. (i have read the where to start threads and still have no idea.)

Thanks
roscoe

R

roscoefriend

forgot to mention we have ZERO processes or procedures documented or even followed.

Welcome to the Cove Roscoe :bigwave:
forgot to mention we have ZERO processes or procedures documented or even followed.
I think you just nailed it. You need to get to terms with your processes: A good start would be to have a look at 0.1 & 0.2 in ISO 9001, and then move on the introduction in ISO9004. Both will provide some insight in the process mapping your need to do in order to start building your system.

I also suggest some outside help to get you started.

/Claes

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi Roscoe - welcome to the Cove.

I think perhaps you might need some more training on things other than ISO...
Say a course on TQM or Process Mapping.

First of fyou have to think in terms of process... everything you do is a process and can be mapped (i.e. flow charted) and therefore made in to a procedure. Anything. Not just "operational" things.

Yes - some are more complex than others and there will branches and decisions and such, but they can all be mapped.

Take for example making an omlette. The recipe is the process map. It's got inputs (ingredients and tools), actions (mixing and cooking), and outputs (a finished omlett). There is a supplier (you) and a customer (your significant other... or even yourself). And there are measurable results (i..e. was it burned?) to use for continual improvement.
I just ISO-tized my breakfast!
:D

Granted, that's operational - but the same steps are involved for, say, a contract review process.

Why don't you come back at us with a process you're having trouble with and see if anyone has an applicable example.

R

roscoefriend

Great!!

Thanks for the advice, I will get process mapping and get back to you!:thanks:

see you in a bit!:cool:

Great!!

Thanks for the advice, I will get process mapping and get back to you!:thanks:

see you in a bit!:cool:
Before you even do that you need to understand what an implementation process looks like, how long it takes etc. Process mapping is a small part of the whole. You have your top management's commitment to do this? Budget? Yes?

Firstly, despite you saying you have no processes documented - they ARE doing something and it's being followed most of the time. If you have commitment, budget etc., then your next step is to get a gap/needs assessment done. I'd combine that with a debriefing session so you and your management team can see what's got to be done. Then you can assign responsibilities etc to a plan of implementation...

Top Bottom