Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.
  • Google has changed ad sizes for some reason. I am investigating and will get the sizes reduced to what they have been until now. I apologise for the inconvenience.

No Process Defined to Capture the Special Requirements of Customers

S

Saifuddinkhan

Hi,

I am into project management. I have situation / Project here need help on.
There are sequential processes Sales - Contract and Tech Support.
Now there are special customers (They have special requirements at the time of tech support) At the time of sales these special reqiorements are not captured in the sense all customers are treated equally. These are very large customers and we have ensure their satifaction since we generate a major chunk of revenue from them.
Every one knows that there is no process defined to capture their special requirement.

The project that I am on does have any baseline data. What I am confused on :

How can I show the baseline as in process breakage
How can the performace of this project can be gauged
Every one knows that there is no process defined....Yet how can I show the same in a logical way...

I am confused need help....Feel free to clarify any points..You can probe me as much as you want.

Thanks

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: No Process Defined

Saifuddinkhan,

From what you have said your management system seems to be suffering from a lack of quality planning.

You already know the nature of the nonconformity, surely you should be focused on corrective action instead of measuring a problem you already know you have.

May I refer you to the requirements of clause 7 in ISO 9001? :read:

Ensure the first people to learn of special requirements from customers (normally sales or engineering) document and feed these requirements into the planning process so those responsible know of these requirements and can then fulfill these requirements.

John

S

Saifuddinkhan

Thanks!! However the situation I am in right now is:

To reach and present a logical conclusion/ Prove what people aready know
Suggest remedial or may be conceptual solution where in they dont want to invest in IT Infrastructure
I can not touch the current sales process
Suggest a solution where the end customer facing department know the requirement of the customer. Customer Facing departments are sales and Tech Support and couple of departments in between doing back office jobs.

I am confused what approch should I take....since DMAIC does not apply here due non data availability and also the known solution to design a process.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator

Thanks!! However the situation I am in right now is:

To reach and present a logical conclusion/ Prove what people aready know
Suggest remedial or may be conceptual solution where in they dont want to invest in IT Infrastructure
I can not touch the current sales process
Suggest a solution where the end customer facing department know the requirement of the customer. Customer Facing departments are sales and Tech Support and couple of departments in between doing back office jobs.

I am confused what approch should I take....since DMAIC does not apply here due non data availability and also the known solution to design a process.
Saifuddinkhan,

My advice remains the same.

Customer facing staff must inform production and packaging of special requirements.

Require them to issue a document that specifies the customer's requirements and specifies the plan to fulfill them and to verify/record the that the requirements were fulfilled before shipping the product.

Design this form so it does not cause them too much inconvenience.

Some organizations call these forms "routers" or "travellers".

John

Last edited:
S

Saifuddinkhan

Saifuddinkhan,

My advice remains the same.

Customer facing staff must inform production and packaging of special requirements.

Require them to issue a document that specifies the customer's requirements and specifies the plan to fulfill them and to verify/record the that the requirements were fulfilled before shipping the product.

Design this form so it does not cause them too much inconvenience.

Some organizations call these forms "routers" or "travellers".

John
Thanks for the advice; however tis was the first thing that I suggested...The only challange is how would this information pass to the last department which is once again customer facing.
Company not willing to invest in IT and does not want to change any existing IT infrastructure. More over they have standard procedures and solutions to the customer which can not be changed. I am in a total mess and since the scope is such for this project that it closes all doors to suggest anything.

You sugesstion is much appreciated....also if you need any other information feel free to post.

OK, my question is very simple:

If your customer has special requirements and they are not captured during the Sales process then how do you know about them? :confused:

This might seem stupid :D but unless you know what is currently in place to capture these requirements then you can't improve the process.

FWIW my advice is to find these 'informal' processes and formalize them. Keep going back to Sales and tell them what the customer is telling you they expect. If it is extra work get Sales to request a variation order from the client.

Make the informal process visible and highlight the costs of not capturing the information earlier and you will soon get some changes ... and maybe some more money from the customer. :)

I am curious how this turned out.

If I was placed in the situation described (The sales process is not capturing customer requirements and will not allow this function to be added to their responsibility) I would be tempted to make the product EXACTLY as specified by the sales department and ship it. When the inevitable storm follows the problem will be more visible and may develop the needed pressure to make changes.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted
I am curious how this turned out.

If I was placed in the situation described (The sales process is not capturing customer requirements and will not allow this function to be added to their responsibility) I would be tempted to make the product EXACTLY as specified by the sales department and ship it. When the inevitable storm follows the problem will be more visible and may develop the needed pressure to make changes.
Don't know how the above turned out...but the solution can be pretty easy...actually many ways indeed to make it easy.

1. Have customer service write/type on the internal "go" order (whatever you call it in your shop) what the special requirements are.
- Pack in 12x12x12" boxes, 10pcs/box or some such.

2. Create a new part number specifically for that customer that includes whatever specials the customer wants...then customer service only has to say "Ship 10 of them" and the production line knows all the details already.

It seems like a ridiculous issue to have a department of the company refuse to communicate customer desires to the department tasked with meeting those desires...but that's just me.:bonk:

BoardGuy

Quite Involved in Discussions
[FONT=&quot]One way to get managements attention on this is the fact that if I, as the customer, specify product requirements you did not capture and you ship me product that does not conform to the contract requirements you are in breach of contract. I as buyer, now have legal redress to recover my losses as the result of your organizations actions that lead to failure to fulfill my requirements.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Can you management afford legal fees and the endless legal process afforded companies under basic contract law?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Can you management afford legal fees and the endless legal process afforded companies under basic contract law?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
The idea that each and any unfulfilled order would be followed by a lawsuit would be known as the 100 million attorneys employment act and it is way over the top, even in our lawsuit-happy society.

There is a reason why that does not happen: it costs a lot of money to the plaintiff, as well.

Top Bottom