No reproducibility Error in Gage R&R?

What could cause having 0% reproducibility error in a Gage R&R study? I had two operators measure parts with 3 repetitions. The repeatability error is 38% (still too high), but I don't understand why there is no reproducibility error. The specification is to the thousandth of an inch and the measurement tool can measure to the tenth of a thousandth. Any help would be much appreciated as I need to explain this in my report. I did repeat this with different operators (the original were not available), and got a combined error of 12%.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
See results below. I have attached the original data.

Gage R&R Study - ANOVA Method

Two-Way ANOVA Table With Interaction

Source DF SS MS F P
Part 9 0.0004002 0.0000445 17.8723 0.000
Operator 1 0.0000005 0.0000005 0.2101 0.658
Part * Operator 9 0.0000224 0.0000025 0.9120 0.525
Repeatability 40 0.0001091 0.0000027
Total 59 0.0005323

Alpha to remove interaction term = 0.25

Two-Way ANOVA Table Without Interaction

Source DF SS MS F P
Part 9 0.0004002 0.0000445 16.5673 0.000
Operator 1 0.0000005 0.0000005 0.1947 0.661
Repeatability 49 0.0001315 0.0000027
Total 59 0.0005323

Gage R&R

%Contribution
Source VarComp (of VarComp)
Total Gage R&R 0.0000027 27.82
Repeatability 0.0000027 27.82
Reproducibility 0.0000000 0.00
Operator 0.0000000 0.00
Part-To-Part 0.0000070 72.18
Total Variation 0.0000096 100.00

Process tolerance = 0.026

Study Var %Study Var %Tolerance
Source StdDev (SD) (6 * SD) (%SV) (SV/Toler)
Total Gage R&R 0.0016384 0.0098302 52.74 37.81
Repeatability 0.0016384 0.0098302 52.74 37.81
Reproducibility 0.0000000 0.0000000 0.00 0.00
Operator 0.0000000 0.0000000 0.00 0.00
Part-To-Part 0.0026390 0.0158340 84.96 60.90
Total Variation 0.0031062 0.0186373 100.00 71.68

Number of Distinct Categories = 2

Attachments

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
The Reproducibility is not exactly zero. It is just small enough that it rounds to zero. Michele averaged 0.288223 while Nathaniel averaged 0.28841. The bias was 0.000187, which rounded to zero. This can happen, and is a good thing when it does.

Of greater interest to me is the dramatic difference in repeatability between the two. Nathaniel has half the variation.

Repeat.png

Welshwizard

Involved In Discussions
Hope i'm not too late for this.

The purpose of analysis is insight so lets explore your data set a bit more.

Sure enough, the range chart as shown by Miner above reveals a difference between the two operators, it also reveals that Michelle's measurements are not consistent therefore any data used from these measurements to summarise any statistics are based on a weak foundation. On the other hand, Nathaniel's measurements are reasonably consistent and therefore there is no reason why anybody else following a similar procedure/technique cannot achieve the same.

We could go ahead and summarise what the statsitics would show for Nathaniels measurement alone and if this was acceptable we could look at why Michelles are detectibly different and fix the process. This process should follow for all other operators who would be destined to use this measurement process.

A glance at the probable error reveals that the fourth decimal place is pure noise and is adding nothing to the measurements so based upon the output of this study the measurements should be recorded to 3 decimal places.

As for the Reproducibility question, its clear that there are no detecible differences between these two operators for bias therefore we dont need to worry about this nuisance aspect.

Based upon the parts chosen for this study more than 80 percent of the variation is due to part variation whilst the rest is measurement variation. This will only get better (less measurement variation) when Michelle's measurement process is fixed.

I have used Don Wheeler's EMP methods for more than 20 years, I attach a file here for your reference. You will not get the insight that I have talked about here with the AIAG method.

Hope you find this usefull.

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
6 Gage R&R on automated test equipment - No reproducibility error? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
J Reproducibility error between instruments for automatic measuring equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
W Reproducibility on Different Machines of the same Configuration Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
S GRR (Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility) for Material Strength Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
R Destructive Non Reproducibility MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
P Gage R (no reproducibility) - Acceptance Criteria Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Getting Zero for GR&R Reproducibility? Using Minitab Software 5
C Gage R&R not passing for Check Valves Crack Pressure - No Reproducibility Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
T Value of K1, K2, K3 in GR&R - I want to measure Repeatability and Reproducibility Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
N Repeatabilty + Reproducibility (Gage R&R) Study - Inter-Laboratory Study (ILS) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
S Weight Scale Gage R&R (Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
U Gauge repeatability and reproducibility (Gage R&R) worksheets Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
A Gage Reproducibility & Repeatability for POKA-YOKE (pass/fail) gage? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
K Reproducibility between different lots using minitab Using Minitab Software 1
M Gage R&R (Reproducibility and Repeatability) using Minitab 14 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
U Gage R&R (Reproducibility and Repeatability) Understanding for the Layperson Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
F How would you Verify Repeatability and Reproducibility of Measurement Systems? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
S Operator Training - Variation and reproducibility in testing and Gage R&R Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
S Comparison Study - GRR - Reproducibility vs. 2-sample t Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M Gage repeatability and reproducibility - GRP% Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R MSA Attribute gage repeatability and reproducibility IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R How to Determine CMM Gage R&R - Accuracy, Repeatability, Reproducibility? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Analysis reproducibility between-instruments by two way ANOVA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
A Gage R&R - Repeatability and Reproducibility of a newly bought CMM machine Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
D Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) for Dummies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 67
H Repeated tests reproducibility - Regression line is close and good Bland Altman plots Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
D Determining Gauge R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) Interval Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Is ANOVA Gage R&R the best method? Reproducibility issues (no inspector effect)? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
A Automated Testing Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) Issues Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Courier Gage R&R (Reproducibility and Repeatability) - Automotive Requirements Basics Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M Gage R&R (Ranges Method) - Reproducibility standard deviation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) Study with one appraiser Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Go - No Go (Attribute) Gage R&R (Repeatibility and Reproducibility) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 52
B Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) Destructive Test Method Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Gauge Repeatability and Reproducibility (Gage R&R) on all shop floor gages? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
P IATF 16949 requirement - error-proofing in control plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Error Proofing Label process Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
M Measurement Error - How to determine what is acceptable? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
Jimmy123 What is the difference between Error Proofing and Controls? ISO/IATF 16949 - Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 16
M Error trying to Start a New Thread Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 2
M Trouble with Europa website - Internal Server Error (March 2019) EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Marc Definition MPEE - Maximum Permissible Error for Length Measurement Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
S Need help wrapping my head around confidence vs beta error Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
D Error proofing ideas sheet metal punches Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
G How to include machine error in uncertainty calculations? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
R Rank Deficiency Error Minitab Using Minitab Software 5
W IMDS - Help (Common Warning and Error Fixes) RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
K Documented problem solving and documented error-proofing - IATF 16949 10.2.3 & 10.2.4 Internal Auditing 7
M Methods of reducing/eliminating the systematic component of error General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
chris1price Error in data recording - Recording measurements in SAP Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2