Non-Conformance vs OFI -- your best descriptions

ISO_Man

Involved In Discussions
I have run into a situation where internal auditors at our company are writing OFIs that should be nonconformances. What are your favorite resources for teaching the differences between an Opportunity for Improvement and a nonconformance?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
That's a good one... that's where the lead auditor should step in a guide.
But I've seen the interpretation be broad even in registrar audits.
For me is somethings is gross or systemic them I'd write a non-conformance.
If it was a small, one-off thing or an actual opportunity to improve things I'd write an OFI.

For example - while looking at production paperwork I see one operator forgot to initial a coupe items that should be initialed. Everything else is good... I'd make that an OFI.
If I see several instances of the same error across several documents, I'd write an NC.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
I have run into a situation where internal auditors at our company are writing OFIs that should be nonconformances. What are your favorite resources for teaching the differences between an Opportunity for Improvement and a nonconformance?
I wonder if they are mimicking/copying your external auditor(s) behavior....this practice is called SOFT GRADING and de-values the results of the audits, as evidence of lack of conformance to requirements means, by definition, a nonconformity, which MUST be treated via a corrective action loop, while OFI's are immediately forgotten.

There should be someone in charge of your internal audit program and s/he should write up a nonconformity for this soft grading. What are the internal auditors afraid of? What kind of culture do you have there? This kind of behavior is, normally, learned.

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
" I see one operator forgot to initial a couple items that should be initialed. Everything else is good... I'd make that an OFI. "

I would not take that to the record as an observation - it's either worthy of nonconformance or can be fixed and forgotten on the spot.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
I have only ever audited suppliers but after I preset my audit scope I tell them: " I won't issue OFIs but if you want to ask my personal advice on how I have seen such and such done elsewhere I will share it because holistic improvements help everyone."

Tagin

For what its worth, I see an OFI is appropriate where a system is weak or susceptible to failure, but no N/C's were detected.

But it seems more relevant for your org to define the two (OFI & NC), not necessarily how others define it. Then document those definitions (probably with several examples of each) accordingly.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
I have only ever audited suppliers but after I preset my audit scope I tell them: " I won't issue OFIs but if you want to ask my personal advice on how I have seen such and such done elsewhere I will share it because holistic improvements help everyone."
Ed,

How do you avoid sharing a previous auditee’s intellectual property (aka holistic improvements) with future auditees?

And that the systems you audit are not reliant on your periodic suggested holistic improvements?

Thanks.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
For what its worth, I see an OFI is appropriate where a system is weak or susceptible to failure, but no N/C's were detected.

But it seems more relevant for your org to define the two (OFI & NC), not necessarily how others define it. Then document those definitions (probably with several examples of each) accordingly.
Tagin,

Is a conforming system not meant to invoke preventive action without any help from its auditors?

John

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
blile Increasing PFMEA occurrence ranking after non-conformance FMEA and Control Plans 4
S Non-Conformance and Deviations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
C If it doesn't prevent a non-conformance, is it a preventive action? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
T Non conformance product identification and traceability 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
W Non-Conformance from recent Audit carried out on Purchasing AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
M What to do about Non Conformance forms that are deleted or missing? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
C Neglect or legitimate deferral? Is excessive workload or lack of resources in a department or a team a valid root cause for a non-conformance? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 12
G Non Conformance During ISO 9001 Audit - Not All Internal Audits Completed General Auditing Discussions 19
C Fact or fiction - Repeat minor becomes a major IATF non-conformance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
P Line accums as a non-conformance? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
S Returned product due to Customers fault, is it a Non-Conformance? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
I AS9100D Non-conformance for 10.2.1 b 2 and 10.2.1. b 3 e and f - Corrective Action AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
P Are red non-conformance bins required anywhere in the ISO or IATF standards? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
I "We don't have enough resources" as an Audit Non-conformance Response General Auditing Discussions 14
G Informational Is Past due calibration a non-conformance if tagged "Do Not Use"? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
D Minor non-conformance for not receiving a CofC from a heat treater Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
P Minor Non-Conformance - Maintenance Records Not Fully Completed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
Q Minor non-conformance for not controlling local regulation laws? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
GoSpeedRacer How to handle operator involvement in the non conformance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Non-Conformance Report for Concession ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
Q An uncontrolled record is it a non-conformance? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
V Difference between Non-Conformance, Variance and Deviation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
M Closing of a Non Conformance Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
K Corrective and preventive action for Non Conformance on PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 30
D Is Failure to achieve a Goal a Major Non-Conformance? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
W Can you have a Corrective Action without a Non-Conformance? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
K Bottle Labeling Machine Problems - Non conformance in FCMG industry Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
M Procedure Non-Conformance=Corrective Action? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
M Class II Medical Device Design Control Non Conformance 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
L Root Cause for Minor Non-conformance regarding Supplier Delegation Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
D Calibration & Test Laboratory Non-Conformance Procedure Example wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Non-Conformance for Not Taking Exclusion AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
V Is non-conformance (incident) required for any observation in equipment qualification Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
N Non conformance Report to Risk Management-Plan ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 16
C The prudence of combining non-conformance reports with corrective/preventive action Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
P Definition Nonconformance or Non-Conformance? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
T Non Conformance Report Training Suggestions Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
B Combining both Deviation and Non-Conformance Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J Non Conformance Area Policies Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
P Non Conformance Reporting in GMP in the Control of Materials Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
G Writing up BRC audit non-conformance Internal Auditing 9
M Definition Major vs. Minor Non Conformance Definitions Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 14
J Can An External Auditor Also Write The Same Non-Conformance As An Internal Auditor? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
G Management Review Non-Conformance - Meeting Measurable Goals and Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
T External Communications - Should this have been raised as a Minor Non-Conformance? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 12
W Internal Audit Non Conformance Tracking Logs and NC Systems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Q Non Conformance Closure by including it on another Corrective Action ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
B FDA Requirements for Retaining Non-Conformance Tags (Medical Device Manufacturers) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
V Categorization and Impact Assessment of Non Conformance Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
L Non Conformance Register (aka Tracking Nonconformances and Corrective Actions) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8