Non-Conforming Product - Project to drill a well

R

rrramirez

My product is a project to drill a well.
Let me know what the Cove interpret as a "non conforming product" (remember ISO 9000:2000: product has 4 generic categories) in this case.
Regards,
Reinaldo Ramirez

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
An excellent question. It's even more interesting in a service supplier such as insurance.

First, what are the stated requirements for your product? What is it supposed to do? If you guarantee it in one or more ways, what exactly are you guaranteeing? This is a physical product so we should be able to easily define what you consider "conforming" product.

I have some slides somewhere where I deal with this. The first thing I do when I get involved in an implementation is get them to define their product(s) (even if it's a service organization). From there we define requirements. From there we define what non-conforming product is.

There may be some slides on this in this Powerpoint (.pps) presentation Implementing a Quality Assurance System

Nonconforming product in service

I think nonconforming product in the service world would revolve around what the requirements of the contract are. In the case of a well driller specifics such as well location, size, depth, cost and project timing are all items that can result in the driller not meeting the terms of the contract. (I'm thinking a water well, but for other things the same might apply)

In the product world, nonconforming product is product that does not conform. But to what? To the specifications (contract). Service applications are no different. If I want a 6" well here, and you drop a 4" well over there, then you have just made 'nonconforming product'.

Just my thoughts

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Re: Nonconforming product in service

db said:

I think nonconforming product in the service world would revolve around what the requirements of the contract are.
Not necessarily. There are internal processes which often are a business function and not a contract requirement. An example would be answering phone calls within 15 seconds. You're not guaranteeing this to your customer but establish it as an in-house process measureable to ensure customer satisfaction. Only one of many. Bottom line is product and customer requirements are not always the sole source of defining nonconformances within a business. Don't let a paradigm trap you.

Why you are the boss!

Yep, Marc you are absolutely correct (as usual). Internal requirements are just as important as external ones. :agree:

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Brain exercise...

Contemporary comments? What is a nonconformance when the product is a project to drill a well? Brain exercise...

Marc said:
Contemporary comments? What is a nonconformance when the product is a project to drill a well? Brain exercise...
Ok, let's see: What would the customer requirements be?

Access to enough water of a quality fit for your needs (as an example, we use lots of water from a nearby river for cooling. It's good enough for that purpouse, but I would certainly not drink it)?

Basically, anything negating the (agreed) requirements could be a noncom.

/Claes

Marc

Staff member
Admin
I guess we would have to ask what the well is required to deliver... Water? Oil? Gas?

If I may add. A non-conformance could also be based on an internal requirement. Perhaps you are using the wrong cutter. It would still do the job, but it wears out quickly, and needs to be refitted. That increases your costs, and the profit for the job erodes.

The important thing is to identify the requirements (external and internal) and then follow the definition of an nonconformance: a non-fulfillment of a requirement.

T

tarheels4 - 2007

Claes Gefvenberg said:
Ok, let's see: What would the customer requirements be?

Access to enough water of a quality fit for your needs /Claes
Yes this would be the yield of the well. Volume, usually gallons of product per minute per foot of product column in the well.

Nearly every part of the well installation process could affect the yield, such as type of bit used, screen selection, screen filter material, and well development method, etc. I am assuming the product is water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Moncia Complaint / Non-Conforming Product / CAPA Procedures - Please share your experience ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
N Control of stock (Off the Shelf) Non-Conforming Material & Product Tags ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
H Combined Procedure - Control of Non-conforming Product, Corrective and Preventive Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
N What is the Cost of Tracking Non-Conforming Product Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
M Salvaging Components of a Non-Conforming Product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
K Link between Control of Documents, CPAR & Control of Non-Conforming Product Procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J API Q1 - Control of Non-Conforming Product - Use-As-Is or Repair Dispositions Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
J Feedback on NCP (Non-Conforming Product) Procedure Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
T Non Conforming Product from a Supplier - How to proceed Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
A Non-Conforming Product vs. Supplier Audit Finding Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
A Non Conforming Product in an IT (Information Technology) Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J AS9100 Control of Non Conforming Product - Personnel who make Disposition Decisions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 31
J Kindly Review my Control of Non-Conforming Product Procedure Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
G Knowingly Shipping Non-Conforming Product Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
I Non-conforming product procedure - For a Service Company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
V Control of Non Conforming Product procedure explaining the process for approval Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
L How to apply the clause "control of non-conforming product" on services company ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
B 8.3 Non-Conforming Product Aerospace AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
A Service base Non-conforming Product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L Non-conforming product = Scrap??? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
M Differences between Non-conforming Material vs. Nonconforming Product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
R Supplier Non Conforming Product Impact/Severity - Honda document Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
R Non conforming product control for services - Looking for ideas and suggestions 8.3 Service Industry Specific Topics 4
R Control of Non-conforming Goods (Product) - Tracking what happens to the goods ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
S Control of Non Conforming Product Procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
sardonyx Control of Non-conforming product procedure in a R&D company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
A Control of Non-conforming product - Shared services centre processes transactions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Y Seeking help with control of non-conforming product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Y Control of the Non-conforming Product Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
S Control of Non-Conforming Product - Report to do about ISO elements Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
A What measurables have you identified for "Control of non-conforming product" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A ISO 9000:2000 Clause 8.3 - Control of Non-Conforming Product Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
T ISO 13485 8.3 - Non-Conforming Materials - on-line rework or part of process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
D Using non-conforming components even though the final assembly is conforming? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
S What's meant by ISO9001 clause 8.7 non conforming output? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
C Looking for RED ESD Bags that preferably say NON-CONFORMING Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
C Method of Monitoring our Internally Produced Non-Conforming Products Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
A Non-Conforming Material Control and Inventory Software System Recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
C NCM (Non-Conforming Materials) Procedure questions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
N ISO 17025 clause 5.8.3 Records of Non-Conforming Test Items ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
pammesue Non Conforming Material in the Warehouse..to tag or not? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R How to Handle 'Scrap and Replace' of Non-Conforming Products Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
C AS9100 8.3 Procedure for Non-Conforming Parts - When should an NCR be filled out? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
J Positive Control of Non Conforming Material at Machines AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
D Non-Conforming Holding Area Methods and Size Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
Q Nonconforming Material Control - Gap in the Control of Non-Conforming Materials 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
H Known non-conforming samples in attribute GR&R (Gage R&R) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
M Non-Conforming Material Hold Tracking Software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
B Control of Non-Conforming Material - Location issue AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
A Control of Non Conforming Service Procedure to Review Service Industry Specific Topics 10