Non-Conforming Product - Project to drill a well

R

rrramirez

My product is a project to drill a well.
Let me know what the Cove interpret as a "non conforming product" (remember ISO 9000:2000: product has 4 generic categories) in this case.
Regards,
Reinaldo Ramirez

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
An excellent question. It's even more interesting in a service supplier such as insurance.

First, what are the stated requirements for your product? What is it supposed to do? If you guarantee it in one or more ways, what exactly are you guaranteeing? This is a physical product so we should be able to easily define what you consider "conforming" product.

I have some slides somewhere where I deal with this. The first thing I do when I get involved in an implementation is get them to define their product(s) (even if it's a service organization). From there we define requirements. From there we define what non-conforming product is.

There may be some slides on this in this Powerpoint (.pps) presentation Implementing a Quality Assurance System

D

db

Nonconforming product in service

I think nonconforming product in the service world would revolve around what the requirements of the contract are. In the case of a well driller specifics such as well location, size, depth, cost and project timing are all items that can result in the driller not meeting the terms of the contract. (I'm thinking a water well, but for other things the same might apply)

In the product world, nonconforming product is product that does not conform. But to what? To the specifications (contract). Service applications are no different. If I want a 6" well here, and you drop a 4" well over there, then you have just made 'nonconforming product'.

Just my thoughts

Marc

Leader
Re: Nonconforming product in service

db said:

I think nonconforming product in the service world would revolve around what the requirements of the contract are.
Not necessarily. There are internal processes which often are a business function and not a contract requirement. An example would be answering phone calls within 15 seconds. You're not guaranteeing this to your customer but establish it as an in-house process measureable to ensure customer satisfaction. Only one of many. Bottom line is product and customer requirements are not always the sole source of defining nonconformances within a business. Don't let a paradigm trap you.

D

db

Why you are the boss!

Yep, Marc you are absolutely correct (as usual). Internal requirements are just as important as external ones. :agree:

Marc

Leader
Brain exercise...

Contemporary comments? What is a nonconformance when the product is a project to drill a well? Brain exercise...

Marc said:
Contemporary comments? What is a nonconformance when the product is a project to drill a well? Brain exercise...
Ok, let's see: What would the customer requirements be?

Access to enough water of a quality fit for your needs (as an example, we use lots of water from a nearby river for cooling. It's good enough for that purpouse, but I would certainly not drink it)?

Basically, anything negating the (agreed) requirements could be a noncom.

/Claes

Marc

Leader
I guess we would have to ask what the well is required to deliver... Water? Oil? Gas?

D

db

If I may add. A non-conformance could also be based on an internal requirement. Perhaps you are using the wrong cutter. It would still do the job, but it wears out quickly, and needs to be refitted. That increases your costs, and the profit for the job erodes.

The important thing is to identify the requirements (external and internal) and then follow the definition of an nonconformance: a non-fulfillment of a requirement.

T

tarheels4 - 2007

Claes Gefvenberg said:
Ok, let's see: What would the customer requirements be?

Access to enough water of a quality fit for your needs /Claes

Yes this would be the yield of the well. Volume, usually gallons of product per minute per foot of product column in the well.

Nearly every part of the well installation process could affect the yield, such as type of bit used, screen selection, screen filter material, and well development method, etc. I am assuming the product is water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom