Non conformity, do nothing? Employee experiencing "hard times"

qualprod

Trusted Information Resource
Hello everybody
I just had a case and want to hear your opinions about the right treatment.
One non conformity was detected, which caused to do some reworks.
A NCR was raised, from here a CA was needed.
Not too costly, in the analysis the root cause was problems in employee .
This man, always very willing to perform his job, very compromised, rarely makes a mistake, in this case was his fault.
Root cause= having hard times recently, no clear mind, no peace, that was the cause.
What the action plan can be?
I find no way to do something, since it was a very isolated case.
Could I apply just a correction (no root cause), turn the page and go on?
Maybe a contention action, to give his task to other person in good conditions?
Or just to document the case and do nothing.
What do you do in this cases?

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
Tough and very real.......Fix the problem and try to fix the person without connecting the 2. Very possibly position or task reassignment after he's talked with but only if absolutely necessary...talked with and not to about solutions by someone of trust and concern.

This is a process concern, not a people failing.

"Each and everyone of us can push the incorrect button at any time and pickle the pods" (ask and I'll share)

Ninja

Looking for Reality
It looks like you've found the root cause, and are looking for the "what do I do now?".

You can choose to do nothing...document why you chose to do nothing, and move on. "Oops happens".
You can choose to "document it in employee file"...silly crap, I wouldn't based on your description.
Or you can look into how to prohibit the NC from reoccurring...
From Randy's quote...make it impossible to push the incorrect button...
Now it's down to Cost/Benefit...decide to say "It doesn't happen often, and we choose to let it slide", or invest in prohibiting its recurrence.
Most of the time, I find it not worth the cost.

From your description...I would likely choose to let it slide...once...maybe even twice. I would also see what I could do (if anything) to help the person out...sounds like he/she could use it...even if it was just a couple paid days off, or something more pertinent to the person.

HTH

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Good day qualprod,

It appears you are describing a process that is wholly dependent on the employee doing the right thing 100% of the time.

If that is the case, how does your organization design processes in such a way as to prevent failure?

You did not describe this individual's procedural responsibilities, so my response must be vague.

qualprod

Good day qualprod,

It appears you are describing a process that is wholly dependent on the employee doing the right thing 100% of the time.

If that is the case, how does your organization design processes in such a way as to prevent failure?

You did not describe this individual's procedural responsibilities, so my response must be vague.
Thanks Jenny
Yes is a process which depends of the human capability.
But really I don't know how a system managed by people could be Perfect.
Even if it were automated (machines, robots), the error still can happen.
How can you workaround an occasional human error?
Thanks

skb76

Starting to get Involved
All,

Since as Qualprod mentioned it is isolated case + non major issues, ..
.. if possible x raise the nc (better give OFI)

#Could I apply just a correction (no root cause), turn the page and go on?
(once nc is raised, root cause IS A MUST!) ..my guess

but in case the nc already raised, root cause is already identify...
(based on the scenario) ..
maybe just write a report (retraining/re-orientation) to that personnel
;(although real training NO TAKE PLACE :confused:); to close the nc!

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Sometimes correction and move on is appropriate.

I would not say root cause is never the employee, but I would say it is much more rare than most folks think. I believe I started a thread on that subject many years ago that has gotten many replies over the years.

At one time or another each of us will be going through a difficult time and screw-up something as a result. This quote is over 100 years old: "Be kind; everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." It is as true today as it was back then.

We can try to make our processes employee-error-proof but it will never completely happen. All we can do is try to be aware of human factors, and ensure we apply as much support, training, redundancy, and error-proofing as is practical given the consequences of an error.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Can we provide training plan as corrective action for IATF 16949 Non conformity? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
D Root Cause on Non-Conformity Against Quality Manual Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
M Auditing a Contractor in EMS and Non Conformity Report General Auditing Discussions 1
A IATF 16949 - Non-conformity on 5.1.1.2 Process effectiveness and efficiency IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B IATF 16949: Definition Major/Minor Non-conformity IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
E Non Conformity due to Outsourced Internal Audit Error ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
J Non-Conformity Overreach - We recently switched our EU Authorized Representative ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
R Non-Conformity Report from Notified Body - MEDDEV Guide is not Legally Binding EU Medical Device Regulations 16
B A question of Non-conformity specifics - AQAP2120 (The MOD's equivalent to ISO9001) General Auditing Discussions 1
Q Non Conformity of Support Processes - Need another NC form? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Q Non Conformity in Audit: Missing Deputy Rule ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
S Internal Audit - Non conformity not easily fixable (Sales and Contracts) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 30
L Non Conformity (Nonconformance) Report & Preventive Action Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
S Some departments don't have Quality Objectives - Non Conformity? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 68
S HR Manager refusing to create Quality Objectives - Is this a Non-Conformity? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
H Product Non-Conformity and Document Change Request Forms - Corrective Action needed? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 16
A Declaration of Conformity for non-CE Mark products CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
Q How do you define repeated non conformity (aka Recurrence)? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 24
T A confusing Non-conformity - No defined QMS processes intended for 'Management' ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
A Non-EU countries who use your EC Certificate & Declaration of Conformity Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
eternal_atlas Identification of ISO 9001 Clause to a specific Non-Conformity General Auditing Discussions 7
C Show cause letter given as a result of a minor non-conformity raised by CB Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
L Completed Non-conformity report examples needed! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
T Non-conformity - Not performing Supplier Development on one specific supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 25
A Communicating to our employees: consequences to customer of non-conformity IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D TS 16949: 2002 section 7.6.1 - MSA non conformity at registration audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
K Major Non-Conformity During Initial TS16949 Audit Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
M Record Falsification - What clause to raise a non-conformity? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 20
N Audit non-compliance API Q1 - Use of External Documents 4.4.4 in Product Realization Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
D Using non-conforming components even though the final assembly is conforming? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
N Competent Authority notification for non-EU manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M CE marking for NON-EU EU Medical Device Regulations 0
E Non-GMP examples in Pharmaceutical industry Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
blile Increasing PFMEA occurrence ranking after non-conformance FMEA and Control Plans 4
S Non-Conformance and Deviations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
B Risk Assessment Checklist for Non product Software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
T Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
N Audit non-compliance - API Spec Q1 9th Ed 5.6.1.2 b Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
R Applicability of new non-harmonized standards (MDD/MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
M Scope of Combined ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 QMS - Non-automotive customers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Guidance on manufacturing non-surgical face masks US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
D Do non-IATF customers need to be included in audit scope? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
C If it doesn't prevent a non-conformance, is it a preventive action? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
G Addressing Non-Conformances from an Internal Audit that are not product related ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
T Non conformance product identification and traceability 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
I Non-Conformance vs OFI -- your best descriptions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 61
G Question about Non-conformances during New Product Introduction Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
B Bioburden monitoring for surgical instrument provided non-sterile EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Y Packaging validation for non-sterile Medical Equipment Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
J Medical System with non-medical device and FCC US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5