Non detection techniques

Graciel

Involved In Discussions
Hello. Are there non detection finding techniques? (For quality issues that passed the inspection gate).
Thank you.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Graciel, you need to provide some more information for us to try and assist you. What kind of defects are escaping? What is your current inspection method? What is the occurrence rate of these defects? Where are they occurring/being caused?

Graciel

Involved In Discussions
- appearances defects
- inspection method relates to visual only
- the cause of the defects are normally 60% related to material problem and 40% bad assembly (man)
- parts are inspected at the end of the line

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
OK now what is the defect rate (not the possible causal breakdown - if you know that 60% is material and 40% is incorrect assembly then you know enough to correct the cause and stop the defects.)

What is the rate of defects found at inspection? (#defects found/#parts inspected)
What is the defect rate that you think is occurring after inspection? How do you know this? Customer complaints, warehouse audit?
Is this inspection 100% or a sample size? If a sample size what is the sample size, AQL (or AQL), c?

…and there is probably no effective way to catch defects after the final inspection. But we can try to think about that. Only an automated vision system that looks at all parts can improve the detection rate over human inspection.
No inspection is perfect that is why we focus on stopping the defects from occurring in the first place….This is one of the biggest lessons in all of Quality.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Hello. Are there non detection finding techniques? (For quality issues that passed the inspection gate).
Thank you.
On another similar thread you created not long ago, I advised you to ask the operators why defective products were being accepted. If you want real feedback, you have to respond to our questions.

There is no miracle solution to product quality. The organization has to invest on it. Just like any other investment, the sooner you make it, the higher rate of return. So, quality has to be planned for, as upstream in the process as possible. Trying to achieve quality by inspection is a fool’s errand.

Boa sorte.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
I will add that it isn’t enough to simply answer our clarifying questions - you must also learn from the answers and take actions. Do not just keep coming here asking the same question over and over and hope that we give you some magical bullet that supports your current path of inspect, inspect, inspect and blame the operators…

To repeat, Quality is NOT about inspection and exhorting the operators to ‘do better’ or else.

Graciel

Involved In Discussions
I will add that it isn’t enough to simply answer our clarifying questions - you must also learn from the answers and take actions. Do not just keep coming here asking the same question over and over and hope that we give you some magical bullet that supports your current path of inspect, inspect, inspect and blame the operators…

To repeat, Quality is NOT about inspection and exhorting the operators to ‘do better’ or else.
Sorry, but you're not the owner of this website. And I won't do anything you're "demanding".

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Sorry, but you're not the owner of this website. And I won't do anything you're "demanding".
You run the risk of alienating the people who are better positioned and qualified to give you tremendously valuable insight. Some of us have been here for over two decades and we try to live by and instill the PEOPLE HELPING PEOPLE ideal, originally brought about by Marc Smith, the founder of this fantastic site.

Most valuable threads here come from intelligent dialogue and, let’s remember, most of the challenges and questions discussed here are not unique to anyone. People come here and read threads from 20, 15, 10 years ago and find insight that assist them on their job today. So, don’t assume that the discussion applies only to you. Bev’s professional experience is second to none and we all should be thankful she is willing to share her knowledge.

As a long time moderator here, I can say this: most contributors here hardly engage with members who come here with the mindset of: give me a fish; I have no interest in learning how to fish.

In the end, it is always a choice.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Hello Graciel, do you want to improve your product quality or not? You've been given good advice from seasoned professionals who answer your questions on a volunteer basis.

You do have a choice whether or not to act on this good advice, true. Every horse has the right to die of thirst.

Top Bottom