Non English Speaking Operators - Bi-lingual lead people? Suggestions?

waterdog

Starting to get Involved
Hey everybody, this is my first post. I just found the site and it is very good. I have a question. We are just getting serious about quality and we are going for ISO9002 certification. One of our biggest problems is that over half of our operators and inspectors are from Vietnam or Mexico and they do not speak or read English. Has anyone dealt with this? We have considered bi-lingual lead people, translation of documents, and visual aids. Any suggestions?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jimmy Olson

Hi Waterdog and welcome to the cove :bigwave:

We have a similar situation as the vast majority of our production employees are Asian and we have done a couple of the things you have mentioned. Several of our area leads and supervisors are bi-lingual and act as translators when necessary. We have conducted some basic ESL courses and support people going to outside courses as well.

One of the biggest helps is that our manufacturing instructions are all visual based. We take our customer documentation and convert everything into pictures and diagrams that are used on the production floor. This works really well for us. The instructions are broken up into the various manufacturing portions and are all color coded. Depending on the product you are making you may consider this option.

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
what we did

Hi waterdog and welcome!!!

We have a large hispanic work force. We are a small company, so we don't have the resorces to do ESL courses, but we did some of the things Richard did. We have bi-lingual leads, we translated some key documentation, and we color code where we can. The problem with translations are two fold. Different dialect, and a large percentage that can't read their own language. But so far, what we have done works and works well for us.

Hope this helps a bit.

CarolX

Yes, welcome to the Cove waterdog! :bigwave: Good question, and hope to hear a lot from you.

I have one concern:

we are going for ISO9002 certification
ISO 9002 will be obsolete and invalid come December. You should be looking towards ISO 9001:2000.

Re: Non English Speaking Operators

waterdog said:

Hey everybody, this is my first post. I just found the site and it is very good. I have a question. We are just getting serious about quality and we are going for ISO9002 certification. One of our biggest problems is that over half of our operators and inspectors are from Vietnam or Mexico and they do not speak or read English. Has anyone dealt with this? We have considered bi-lingual lead people, translation of documents, and visual aids. Any suggestions?
Hi Waterdog, and welcome to the Cove. :bigwave:

First of all I share db's concern: Go for ISO9001:2000 instead.

Secondly, we share the language problems you describe. Roughly half our work force have their roots in Finland. Now, Sweden and Finland may be neighbours, but the languages have very little in common.

Consequently, you find an ever growing number of graphs in our written procedures... It helps a lot. Bi-lingual lead people is another great help.

/Claes

A

Atul Khandekar

Carol, Richard,

Would it be possible for you to post a small sample of your visual based instructions here?

Thanx.

S
One other possibility that would be beneficial to everyone in the company; require non-englisg personnel to attend ESL (english second language) classes. I volunteer two nights per week to assist with teaching adults and their kids. Last year we had 10 people take and pass the citizenship test.
We offer the ESL classes to the community, but, you could do it at your company after hours.

J

Jimmy Olson

Atul Khandekar said:

Carol, Richard,

Would it be possible for you to post a small sample of your visual based instructions here?

Thanx.
Hi Atul,

I would love to post an example, but unfortunately I can't due to confidentiality issues. Our instructions contain customer designs. I am looking to see if I can possibly find something to clean up to give you an idea though.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Explanation about IQ, OQ, PQ for non-English speaker Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
R Lead auditor scenario (Need help) is this non conforming to ISO13485 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
D Help Me. Non conformitty in External Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
S Electronic Signatures - Non-Conformance - ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 29
S Do you follow your QMS for non-device software features? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
J Can we register non-device clinical decision support software under draft guidance? Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
D IATF 16949 SI 10, External non-accredited lab IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Selling non-CE marked devices for evaluation EU Medical Device Regulations 4
T Non API products need to comply to API Q1? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
L "Shelf-Life" Class I Non-Sterile Products Expiration Date? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
B Process / Procedure - Radiographic (X-Ray) Non-Film Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
N How to find column number for the last non-empty column? Using Minitab Software 0
A Need to calculate tolerance Intervals with a set of non-normal data and 3-Parameter Weibull distribution Using Minitab Software 0
3 Non-conformance Register vs Corrective Action Register ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
G Competent Authority non-EU Manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 7
F Non conforming locked? Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
M Changing Investigational Device from Non-Sterile to Sterile - what are the implications? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
K Is Calibration Required for Non-Adjustable Commercial Inspection Devices? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
J Informal vs formal scope creep... managing non-medical devices through system processes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
G Not accepting a non conformity during an audit General Auditing Discussions 11
J In-house (NHS) manufacture and use (by staff) of non-medical devices.. any regulations apply? UK Medical Device Regulations 6
B Does FDA Registration QSR need to cover non-medical devices for contract repackager? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
A Brexit Mandate for EU Authorised Representative for non medical devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
E Accredited vs. non-accredited labs for 60601 compliance in the US IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Accredited vs. non-accredited labs for 60601 compliance in the US Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
C Non-sterile reusable surgical instruments - FDA sterilization requirement Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
L Water requirement for Non-sterile topical OTCs Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
B Procedure packs with non-medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
W Non Sterile Medical Device Environmental Tests Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
S Advice on how to reduce overhead of handling non-conforming material Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
G Team to analyze a non conformance Customer Complaints 26
J Promoting and marketing of a non approved device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
G 0 non conformities in registrar audits over 4 years Management Review Meetings and related Processes 12
K CE Marking Class 1 (Non sterile) medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
M Supplier requirements - Major supplier is a Non-Profit registered with ICCBBA (FDA UDI) Supply Chain Security Management Systems 12
S Non parametric test for semi-quantitative data. Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
B Free Sales Certificate for Non Medical Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
P Ppk results shown as asterisk after the transformation of Non-normal data Using Minitab Software 4
I When is necessary to have RoHS declaration on non-electrical parts? REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
Johnnymo62 Non Aerospace topics - Anything for military trucks, trailers, Humvee type vehicles? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
G Dealing with non conformity caused by Supplier Components detected in the production line IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
M Who are the go to companies for non-destructive hardness testing? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R Non conformance (NC) or Corrective & Preventive action (CAPA) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
M How does IEC-60601-1 apply to a non-medical device in the patient vicinity? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
A FDA guidance on non-sterile Medical Device Packaging Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
E Qualification for non gmp service providers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
R MDD x PPE Directive - Statement of Non-Applicability EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B Exclusions or justification for non-applicability of IEC standards Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
C Non-EU Language Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
A Non-Conformances Found After 3rd Party Sorting Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12