SBS - The best value in QMS software

Non-ISO9001:2000 'related' procedures - A separate NC system for Customer Service

I

Ingeniero1

I am not sure that I can clearly explain what I want to say; let me try it.

"Just as our financial department is not audited", our Customer Service Engineer wants/would like to treat/handle customer complaints that are non-product-related in any way as separate and outside of the Quality Managenemt System. Specific order delays, wrong counts, and of course non-conformances are considered product related.

Examples of the non-product-related issues that he wants to treat separately would include: when someone is not polite during a telephone conversation, or if we habitually do something that the customer doesn't like, or if the customer thinks that we charge too much for shipping, etc.

So he has duplicated our Corrective and Preventive Action Requests forms, has given them a slightly different title, and uses them to resolve the issues. BUT he doesn't want to have to report, track, or be audited in this area.

Is he being reasonable? Of course, if we don't bring it up, the auditor will not even know that this practice exists, but I am concerned about any implications.

Thanks -

Alex

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
C

cncmarine

I tell him no.
We are all part of the same process and company. So why would he want to have two systems.
In my system all customer complaints go through one system.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I don't think there's anything wrong with that. We have "disciplinary" actions written up on a form that is not controlled or audited. This form is used for writing up employees that are chronically late, etc. No one can look at them except the employee and his chain of command - they are kept in the employees HR file.

IMO - Just because he liked and used the outline/format of your existing problem solving form doesn't mean it needs to be controlled in the same manner - it's being used for two entirely different purposes.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Ingeniero1 said:
Examples of the non-product-related issues that he wants to treat separately would include: when someone is not polite during a telephone conversation, or if we habitually do something that the customer doesn't like, or if the customer thinks that we charge too much for shipping, etc.
Alex, when a member of your Customer Service department is not polite on the phone, that's the kind of thing that should go onto their performance apprasial and/or the kind of skill that should be assessed to determine the individual's competency. The latter, as you can, fits nicely in with ISO 9001:2000.

As for the situations where you "habitually do something the customer doesn't like" or "the customer thinks that we charge too much"...how do you know this?

How do you know if the Customer does not like something or if the Customer thinks you charge too much? Most likely because the Customer has actually complained and this should be entered into the official Customer Complaint system.

Like Cari, we have tools in place for disciplinary issues. These records, while not deemed Quality Records, are maintained in an individual's file and are used to assess competency.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Ingeniero1 said:

Alex
In my opinion, this would clearly fall under

7.2.3 Customer communication
The organization shall determine and implement effective arrangements for communicating with customers in relation to:
c) customer feedback, including customer complaints.

Remember, one of the principles behind ISO 9001 is CUSTOMER FOCUS. I can not see any reason why you would not want to have a SYSTEMATIC process to know "...if we habitually do something that the customer doesn't like . . " . There is MUCH more to customer satisfaction than product performance. That is why the definition of quality in ISO 9000 is so broad.

Last edited:

Al Rosen

Staff member
Super Moderator
Ingeniero1 said:

"Just as our financial department is not audited", our Customer Service Engineer wants/would like to treat/handle customer complaints that are non-product-related in any way as separate and outside of the Quality Managenemt System. Specific order delays, wrong counts, and of course non-conformances are considered product related.

So he has duplicated our Corrective and Preventive Action Requests forms, has given them a slightly different title, and uses them to resolve the issues. BUT he doesn't want to have to report, track, or be audited in this area.

Is he being reasonable? Of course, if we don't bring it up, the auditor will not even know that this practice exists, but I am concerned about any implications.

Thanks -

Alex
2cents.gif Of course, he doesn't want the issues that reflect on him to be included. Include everything and segregate. Don't leave it up to the person taking the call to determine which bucket the complaint belongs in.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sidney Vianna said:
In my opinion, this would clearly fall under

7.2.3 Customer communication
The organization shall determine and implement effective arrangements for communicating with customers in relation to:
c) customer feedback, including customer complaints.

Remember, one of the principles behind ISO 9001 is CUSTOMER FOCUS. I can not see any reason why you would not want to have a SYSTEMATIC process to know "...if we habitually do something that the customer doesn't like . . " . There is MUCH more to customer satisfaction than product performance. That is why the definition of quality in ISO 9000 is so broad.

Great explanation!!! :applause:

C

Carl Keller

I have no problem running a seperate system outside the QMS,

HOWEVER

The ISO coordinator or responsible party should decide the criteria to measure what is, and is not a "Customer complaint".

Anything they feel falls under the umbrella of the standard should be included. While the rest could probably be used for "improvement" I would leave that up to someone else.

Considering the amount of "interpretation" done by the ISO auditors, I would not mention the other system at all.

Following with RC Beyette's thoughts, our company has an attendance policy and if employees do not show up for work regularly, it could conceivably affect the quality of our goods or services, but we do not track employee attendance as one of our metrics, nor do we "communicate" attendance to our customers or the auditor.

I think you just need to be realistic. After all, most Quality Systems are just a means to compensate for a lack of common sense.

Carl-

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S What's meant by ISO9001 clause 8.7 non conforming output? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
B A question of Non-conformity specifics - AQAP2120 (The MOD's equivalent to ISO9001) General Auditing Discussions 1
D Non-production personnel Training Records - ISO9001 Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
I Which NGO's (non-governmental organization) are ISO9001 certified ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C Non-sterile reusable surgical instruments - FDA sterilization requirement Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
L Water requirement for Non-sterile topical OTCs Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
B Procedure packs with non-medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
W Non Sterile Medical Device Environmental Tests Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
S Advice on how to reduce overhead of handling non-conforming material Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
G Team to analyze a non conformance Customer Complaints 26
J Promoting and marketing of a non approved device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
G 0 non conformities in registrar audits over 4 years Management Review Meetings and related Processes 12
K CE Marking Class 1 (Non sterile) medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
M Supplier requirements - Major supplier is a Non-Profit registered with ICCBBA (FDA UDI) Supply Chain Security Management Systems 12
S Non parametric test for semi-quantitative data. Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
B Free Sales Certificate for Non Medical Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
P Ppk results shown as asterisk after the transformation of Non-normal data Using Minitab Software 4
I When is necessary to have RoHS declaration on non-electrical parts? REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
Johnnymo62 Non Aerospace topics - Anything for military trucks, trailers, Humvee type vehicles? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
G Dealing with non conformity caused by Supplier Components detected in the production line IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
M Who are the go to companies for non-destructive hardness testing? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R Non conformance (NC) or Corrective & Preventive action (CAPA) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
M How does IEC-60601-1 apply to a non-medical device in the patient vicinity? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
A FDA guidance on non-sterile Medical Device Packaging Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
E Qualification for non gmp service providers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
R MDD x PPE Directive - Statement of Non-Applicability EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B Exclusions or justification for non-applicability of IEC standards Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
C Non-EU Language Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
A Non-Conformances Found After 3rd Party Sorting Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
T ISO 13485 8.3 - Non-Conforming Materials - on-line rework or part of process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
N Audit non-compliance API Q1 - Use of External Documents 4.4.4 in Product Realization Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 8
D Using non-conforming components even though the final assembly is conforming? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
N Competent Authority notification for non-EU manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M CE marking for NON-EU EU Medical Device Regulations 0
E Non-GMP examples in Pharmaceutical industry Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
blile Increasing PFMEA occurrence ranking after non-conformance FMEA and Control Plans 4
S Non-Conformance and Deviations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
B Risk Assessment Checklist for Non product Software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
T Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
N Audit non-compliance - API Spec Q1 9th Ed 5.6.1.2 b Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
R Applicability of new non-harmonized standards (MDD/MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 14
M Scope of Combined ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 QMS - Non-automotive customers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Guidance on manufacturing non-surgical face masks US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
D Do non-IATF customers need to be included in audit scope? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
C If it doesn't prevent a non-conformance, is it a preventive action? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
G Addressing Non-Conformances from an Internal Audit that are not product related ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
T Non conformance product identification and traceability 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
I Non-Conformance vs OFI -- your best descriptions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 61
G Question about Non-conformances during New Product Introduction Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
B Bioburden monitoring for surgical instrument provided non-sterile EU Medical Device Regulations 3